• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    IANAL but I'm not so sure this is true. ASFAIK, the TX course is OK for a MD hunting license but the HQL course has to be a MD approved course with possibly a live fire part . I hope I'm wrong as it would make life a lot easier on those looking to get an HQL.

The following is what my searching has turned up with the links where found. No clear answer but this may prove helpful to someone. I got my Hunter safety years ago to have if I ever needed it and I made certain my wife had a regulated firearm under her name in case she ever needs grandfathering.

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

2. Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Hunter Education
    Replacement Card Request

If you have taken the course in another state, you will have to contact that state agency to issue you a duplicate card. Maryland recognizes all other states Hunter Education Certification.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/HunterSafetyCard.aspx

........ or else has a certificate that he has successfully completed the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) course in firearms safety and safe hunting practices. [Updated Sept. 14, 2013: MSP Lt. John Cook, commander of the Licensing Section, affirmed in an email that all DNR-issued hunter safety certificates will suffice for this purpose, no matter when they were issued (DNR began issuing them in about 1976), unless a certificate was formally revoked by the DNR. The status of comparable certificates that were issued in other states to persons who are now Maryland residents, which the DNR law requires Maryland to accept for hunting-license purposes, is still under review.]

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585

Maryland Natural Resources Section 10-301.1

(c) (1) The Department shall institute and coordinate a statewide course of instruction in conservation and in competency and safety in the handling of firearms, and in so doing, the Department may cooperate with any political subdivision or with any reputable organization having as 1 of its objectives the promotion of competency and safety in the handling of firearms, such as the National Rifle Association and local rod and gun clubs.

(2) The Department may conduct the course in hunter safety and issue the certificates, using Department personnel or other persons at times and in areas where other competent agencies are unable or unwilling to meet the demand for instruction.

(3) Any similar certificate, or hunting license, issued outside the State by a governmental agency, shall be accepted as complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) of the subsection, if the privileges are reciprocal for Maryland residents.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gnr/10-301.1.html

Last edited:

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Check out the HQL class at MSAR. The instructor, Mo, is a true advocate for 2A rights and he knows his stuff for class. I sat in on his HQL class with my wife after I already had my HQL, and it was not a waste of my 4 hours. For $20, you can't beat it.

I don't like the whole HQL process, particularly being from Ohio where a 4473 and a NICS call gets you a handgun, cash and carry. It's a flagrant violation of 2A and entirely useless. You should be smart enough if you're going to own a gun to get training on your own. I don't need to have a civics class to exercise my right to vote, and political power is far more deadly than any firearm.

Fusky

Jul 29, 2015
    Germantown
    I have three friends ho have recently got HQLs. All relatively new shooters. Since they never knew any different they didn't really mind getting them.

This is the category I was in. I wanted to take some sort of safety/intro class anyways, so the HQL class was perfect for me.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The fingerprinting requirement to exercise a constitutional right is insulting, demeaning, unconstitutional, discriminatory, an undue burden, and ought to anger every gun owner in Maryland enough to chip in $24.99 apiece to pay for the lawsuit to challenge this law. Where did the passion and outrage over the infringement from 2013 go?

Many of us have contributed, more than once, and will again. It's incredible to think that there haven't already been enough similarly-minded people in this state to fund this lawsuit. Plenty of complaining, but money talks.

And importantly, I'm not referring to MSI leadership or those people who have generously donated countless hours to fight the FSA2013 both before and after its adoption. It's those who are reading this post and haven't participated or ponied up $25.00 for the cause, but who can buy a box of handgun ammo or a case of beer who I'm talking about. Please contribute $24.99 TODAY. Thank you. /rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom