• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Since the folks who did not own a regulated firearm before the law went into effect have to do the training I just wondered how many new shooters are willing to go through the added hassle of the training requirement. My guess is that 90% of the HQLs were issued to people who already owned a regulated firearm and are thus exempt from the training requirement.

Any observations on this topic? Is the law discouraging new shooters?

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    The whole debacle know as FSA2013 was to discourage people , old or new from purchasing firearms

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I took the training a year ago but continue to put off getting an hql. That's money and time I can spend on other stuff.

Not to mention the added visibility ...

Attachments

• 2006_noyfb_patch.jpg
      2006_noyfb_patch.jpg
      15 KB · Views: 374

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    When my neighbor's daughter moved into the city, he got his HQL with her and her boyfriend. He then bought her a Glock 19 for Xmas.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    My girlfriend will be getting hers as soon as she has the money for the class.

I'd say it slows people down in getting a gun, but I don't think it truly holds anyone back.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I believe you can take the Texas online hunter safety course for $50 and be qualified for the HQL. Is that still a viable option?

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    The MSP side is Just a tax.

Safety course is a good idea. Can't disagree with teaching people the basics more than a 30 minute VHS video and a paper card.

My guess is anyone who wants a gun will still do it. Yes it slows people down and makes people think twice about if they really want a gun. For most people guns are fun pleasure items. People tend to find money for things they enjoy even if they don't really need it.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I'd say it slows people down in getting a gun, but I don't think it truly holds anyone back.

I think some of the IP's here would disagree. I've seen people ready to buy walk out of a shop when told they have to get an HQL.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I think some of the IP's here would disagree. I've seen people ready to buy walk out of a shop when told they have to get an HQL.

there are also people who don't know there is a waiting period on handguns, people who don't know you are not allowed to carry it without a permit, don't know that you can't Face to face sell a handgun without going to an FFL or MSP barracks for background check...

a lot of ignorance all around.

all of the restriction deter people from buying guns, and thus make it less and less "normal" every day. the fewer people who don't automatically shit themselves when they even see a gun the easier it is to restrict gun rights. that is the purpose, and I cannot understand why people don't see it for as obvious as it is.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I know people who just get a C&R handgun to avoid the HQL, but still have a handgun. The Cz-82 and P64 are common choices, but an FN Hi Power is the most evil C&R handgun you can get, especially the Israeli surplus rebuilts that have external extractor slides on older frames.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you own a C&R handgun, you can get the HQL training exemption with that. The statute allows training exemption of you OWN a regulated firearm.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There are places giving the HQL class for less than $30. If you can't scratch up $25 for the class I don't know where you will get the money for Livescan.

The cost of HQL class is nothing compared to the rest of the BS.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I have three friends ho have recently got HQLs. All relatively new shooters. Since they never knew any different they didn't really mind getting them.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

This has happened in the past on a semi regular basis but in more recent times it has become by far less prevalent to almost a rare occasion.

I have three friends ho have recently got HQLs. All relatively new shooters. Since they never knew any different they didn't really mind getting them.

This ^^ surprisingly seems to be the very recent (this tear) trend I'm experiencing.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    This has happened in the past on a semi regular basis but in more recent times it has become by far less prevalent to almost a rare occasion.

This ^^ surprisingly seems to be the very recent (this tear) trend I'm experiencing.

I've been teaching HQL classes since inception and I agree that attitudes are changing. In October of 2013 there was a lot of resentment of having to take the class and I don't blame them but now they seem to feel it is the process and go along with it.

While I am not totally in favor of HQL training I am fully in favor of keeping the renewal process for wear and carry in place. Some that come for this can shoot but several have had trouble in really being able to handle their own handgun and some have never been to the range in a long time but carry a firearm. I find this to be a very dangerous situation on the streets. If some of these individuals pull a gun you would be in danger as an innocent bystander. Everyone needs training of they are going to carry. Sorry for that oppinion if you are an accomplished shooter but many are not.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I've been teaching HQL classes since inception and I agree that attitudes are changing. In October of 2013 there was a lot of resentment of having to take the class and I don't blame them but now they seem to feel it is the process and go along with it.

While I am not totally in favor of HQL training I am fully in favor of keeping the renewal process for wear and carry in place. Some that come for this can shoot but several have had trouble in really being able to handle their own handgun and some have never been to the range in a long time but carry a firearm. I find this to be a very dangerous situation on the streets. If some of these individuals pull a gun you would be in danger as an innocent bystander. Everyone needs training of they are going to carry. Sorry for that oppinion if you are an accomplished shooter but many are not.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a person that was in the same class as I two years ago for our MHIL that I picked up on real soon that he would turn out to be a problem child. Once we were on the range for live fire, he was removed from the class and told to pack up his shit and leave.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

According to a friend who is a former LEO instructor this also happens with some in law enforcement. He says some really struggle with getting qualified.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

IANAL but I'm not so sure this is true. ASFAIK, the TX course is OK for a MD hunting license but the HQL course has to be a MD approved course with possibly a live fire part . I hope I'm wrong as it would make life a lot easier on those looking to get an HQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom