• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    depends how much you want to spend...;) I went the cheap route...I got an Oster. works good. cheap price.

I'd like something high quality that is going to last. Just checked out the Oster on Amazon. Says, "designed to last" right on that box. Winner!! :D

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Ended up buying The Judge by JerkySpot. Used some rewards points and got it for free. Amazon Prime is probably the best thing ever. Looking forward to trying some of the recipes in this thread.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    This is the best recipe I have found which is similar to some of the one already posted. I found it with a google search the first time I made jerky and have tried others since and this has been my favorite.

http://www.food.com/recipe/mondos-hot-spicy-venison-jerky-can-substitute-beef-65008

Thanks - looks good.

First batch came out pretty good. Seems less salty than commercial jerky. Was pretty easy other than cutting the beef by hand to a uniform 1/4". Made enough to fill 4 quart Mason jars and it is going fast - here at home and at work!

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    I have done it with soy, worcestershire, black pepper before and it is very good once you experiment a little. My favorite is the stuff you buy at BassPro and some other places. It is called Hi Mountain Jerky Cure. This stuff has never failed me.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...alogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=hi+mountain

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I use the high mountain spicy mixed about 50/50 with the regular, I find the spicy a little to hot on its own. I then put it in the smoker for a couple hours and finish in the oven. Adding real smoke makes all the difference IMO. In any case, the high mountain stuff actually cures the meat so it stores nicely.

mdknighthawk

Feb 16, 2013
    Laurel
    I use kosher salt, cracked black pepper, crushed juniper berry's, red pepper flakes.
    Sprinkle some in the bottom of a glass lasagna pan and layer the meat sprinkling each layer.
    Cover with plastic wrap and weight down refrigerate overnight.
    Then dehydrate in dehydrator or oven.
    I then take mine and smoke it on the grill with hickory chips.
    Never lasts long enough for a shelf life report.
    Its good.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I use the high mountain spicy mixed about 50/50 with the regular, I find the spicy a little to hot on its own. I then put it in the smoker for a couple hours and finish in the oven. Adding real smoke makes all the difference IMO. In any case, the high mountain stuff actually cures the meat so it stores nicely.

That is a good idea. I am not crazy about smoky jerky. My favorite is the black pepper one. I may try your mix next time.
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/beef_jerky.html

This is my default. I just do it in the oven on racks laid over cookie sheets to catch drips.

The marinade probably costs as much as the meat.

I have done it the way you do in the oven. It is pretty easy over racks. I know have a smoker where I can keep the temp exactly where I need it to be, so that is my preference as I can use hickory and other hard woods.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    We used to make it in camp from the first deer dropped. Hand sliced, never very even, so any given slice could be both chewy and crunchy, but always tasty.
    Haven't made it in years but IIRC
    water, vinegar, liquid smoke, cayenne powder, garlic powder, black pepper, worchestershire.
    I may have forgotten something over the years, but then we probably never made it the same way twice, it was always an experiment.
    Come to think of it, we had no clue what the hell we were doing, but it was good!
    Marinate overnight then into the dryer.
    And a few slices into the frying pan with with breakfast.:D

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    We used to make it in camp from the first deer dropped. Hand sliced, never very even, so any given slice could be both chewy and crunchy, but always tasty.
    Haven't made it in years but IIRC
    water, vinegar, liquid smoke, cayenne powder, garlic powder, black pepper, worchestershire.
    I may have forgotten something over the years, but then we probably never made it the same way twice, it was always an experiment.
    Come to think of it, we had no clue what the hell we were doing, but it was good!
    Marinate overnight then into the dryer.
    And a few slices into the frying pan with with breakfast.:D

My customary method of "cooking" too! :innocent0

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Jerky is not made with a "Gun" its made with one of these.
    kershaw-kitchen-cutlery-8-chef-knife.jpg

I have made jerky with the guns before when I first started and your spices get lost inside the meat. Sliced jerky puts the marinade and spices right on your tongue. Nom Nom! Slice the meat across the grain, marinade a long time (days) and then dehydrate.

My wife was experimenting with new recipes. Whine and Chile was a failure, but the dog loves it. :) The rest are good. Can't give out any recipe or the wife will take my cahones!!
    10387478_10202731049796750_1616719540520497253_n.jpg

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I agree I'm not a fan of jerky guns...but to each there own, as long as your enjoying it, who cares.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I limit the jerky making in my house simply because it gets eaten quick or my step-daughter tells her friends about it and they all want some....but none want to hunt to provide wild game for the jerky....:sad20:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Another batch in this morning.................

using the Worchestershire, soy and Frank's Hot Sauce (with some garlic, onion powders and cracked black pepper and red pepper too).

Also picked up the Judge Jerky gun to see how that works out.

Attachments

• IMG_2502[1].jpg
      IMG_2502[1].jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 165

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads