• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    THIS IS FAR FROM OVER.

Time to clear up some confusion. The House says they are going to amend SB281. Not only does the House need to vote, but the Senate will then need to vote on the revised SB281 when the House is done.

So both houses still need to vote on this. The first Senate vote was not a "done", but more like a draft.

Do not hesitate to let your Senators know how they should vote in the do-over. They are getting a mulligan shot, and they need to do it right.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Thanks for the heads up Pat. Is this 100% confirmed that HB 294 is going to the wayside / trash and they're going to work through 281 instead? Would hate to see BOTH bills being forwarded in parallel.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Still hanging strong! Does anybody have an update so I can tell family/friends what is going on? By this I mean when is the house planning on discussing this and what sort of amendments are we looking at?

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So basically, they will revise it to how they like, pass it, then MD's screwed anyway? To me revising means "i like this and will support it with these changes".

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the heads up Pat. Is this 100% confirmed that HB 294 is going to the wayside / trash and they're going to work through 281 instead? Would hate to see BOTH bills being forwarded in parallel.

Latest is that we are working from SB281. That was as of last night. Anything can happen these days, so keep your eyes open.
    One reason they would want to move on SB281 is because it is not subject to the crossover date - the date that a bill must leave one chamber to guarantee being heard in the other. If they went with HB294 and didn't get it done on time, then they'd have to go through the Rules Committee in the Senate. Usually a formality if the bosses want it done, but the head of that committee in the Senate stood with us in the filibuster. That just adds more drama.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is some of the better news I've heard today. If I had a couple of suggested amendments, who would I talk to about that? My delegates are not exactly 2A friendly.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    She hasn't sung yet.

Attachments

• Senate_Democrats_Sena_Brow_t670.jpg
      Senate_Democrats_Sena_Brow_t670.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 1,869

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Patrick , Thank you for the non-defeatist thread . This fight is not over and the " I'm done , I'm moving , It's over" crowds need to be reminded of such .

And everyone remember to keep a running tab of people we need to vote out next year :thumbsup:

And don't forget about all this lil spin off bills .

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Posted to MSI's 2A Resource Room on Facebook

THIS IS FAR FROM OVER.

Time to clear up some confusion. The House says they are going to amend SB281. Not only does the House need to vote, but the Senate will then need to vote on the revised SB281 when the House is done.

So both houses still need to vote on this. The first Senate vote was not a "done", but more like a draft.

Do not hesitate to let your Senators know how they should vote in the do-over. They are getting a mulligan shot, and they need to do it right.

This is far from over.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Still hanging strong! Does anybody have an update so I can tell family/friends what is going on? By this I mean when is the house planning on discussing this and what sort of amendments are we looking at?
    Lots of amendments. Some are getting traction. Nobody likes this thing.

As for progress, I'd say we're just under the 50% marker for this. The "short" path would have required two committee votes and two floor votes - one each for each chamber.

The new path would require that, plus another floor vote in the Senate - assuming they don't go through committee again. If a conference report is called for (possible but not required) then we're looking at another two floors votes. Oh, and this assumes they combine House Judiciary with House Heatlh and Gov't Operations into one special committee vote. If not, then add a vote in HGO to the pile.

So the current "shortest path" is two committees (one each House and Senate) plus three floor votes (two Senate, one House). So far we got only one committee and one floor done. That leaves House combined committee; House floor and then Senate floor -at a minimum.

So this bill needs at least one more committee vote and two more floor votes to pass. Nowhere. Near. Done.

Keep in mind that the session ends on April 8th, come hell or high water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom