• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    So let's say a guy just got back from the tax accountant and is getting a pretty nice refund this year...

He has been considering a rifle...

Although they are completely different, the choices he is considering are either a Springfield M-1A or an AR...Total project / rifle cost not to exceed $1500.

He's a pretty handy guy, but no real gunsmithing experience. He can detail strip every gun he owns (including a Ruger Mark pistol designed by a masochist, a S&W 1911 w/swartz firing pin safety, shotguns and Remington Gamemaster rifle), but a little apprenhensive about building an AR from parts. By the way, he has never even shot an AR...

What is the likelihood he could order parts, and build an AR? Other than price of ammunition, what would be the consensus of the group on AR vs M-1A? Can you end up with a better rifle building an AR from parts rather than buying a factory built rifle? Where would you start this project? Which manufacturers / suppliers to go to? Brownells or direct to manufacturers?
    What's the deal with "piston" AR's and what are the options available and pros/cons?

If the Springfield is THE rifle, which one? The loaded with walnut? The Scout?
    What options would be "required"?

Enough questions...What say you?

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Pssttt, It's the M1A, the M-14 is the automatic version

Get the Springfield M1A. You can get the standard with a walnut stock at a price within your range. The others (Loaded, Match, SOCOM) go up in price from there.

What's nice about the AR-15s, is that you can get the stripped lower cheap and build it as you have a few $$$ here and there.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    M1A, you can always get an AR later... I prefer the classic design of the M1A

Mark

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I get a lot of use out of this picture.... :D

M1A%20sm.JPG

:thumbsup:

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    If I had the dollars necessary, I would absolutely get the M1A - ARs are pretty common, and seem like they'll be around for quite some time, now.

More than that, though, the M1A is beautiful, and is still a piece of history, even if it is a civilian-legal repro. I don't know about you, but I can't afford an NFA M14 that saw the jungles of Korea, nor a 1911 that tasted sand on Normandy, so for now I'll love the Hell outta my RI 1911A1 GI, and lust after the M1A. I mean, I'd take a Garand - any Garand - in a heartbeat, but with a baby on the way that dream must be postponed.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Don't be intimidated by the AR, I would be glad to give you a hand.

But the M1A is a beautiful thing. Whenever I think of a classic military rifle, that image pops into my mind. That has to mean something.

Sadly, I only have a socom, I wish I would have bought something with a walnut stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom