• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Cabelas maybe Bass Pro have the Vista (Samick) Sage. Start out with 20-25 lb limbs and move up to higher weight limbs as they grow. Decent quality and not expensive.

If you don’t want the added expense of feather vanes get a flipper rest or Bear rest and use plastic vaned carbons like on a compound. If you shoot of the shelf w/o a rest you may tear up your vanes.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Yeah Skipjack, I'm sure. Thanks you guys.

Side story about Karma and MDS. This place is really full of a ton of great people. I was posting up a few weeks or so, mighta been a month, can't quite remember the date. I was posting up as my wife was heading out of town and I was looking for a fishing hole for me and my 2 kids. Someone PM'ed me and asked if I wanted to hit up their farm and go fishing with my kids and their kids. They didn't have to offer it up, but just did. I have bought ammo from Ammo Jon, went fishing, etc. I got to get my karma out there soon and you just reminded me so thanks!

Almost forgot. One time I posted up about an expensive backpack I was looking at buying before heading out on a trip. I was posting asking if anyone had one I could look at in person and put on my back to test fit etc as you can only buy this online and not in a store. I was a goruck. I only wanted to look it over etc. A guy pm'ed me and asked me if I wanted to borrow his to test it out (I'm talking a 400 dollar pack) while going away with my family for a week. I gave him his pack back and ended up buying the pack and my wife and I use it. It's great. I got You don't find that kind of stuff happening on 4chan I'd bet! LOL! Only MDS.

PS. I don't want to throw out names as I don't want to volunteer someone for something that they did not ask, but their offers were very appreciated.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Side story about Karma and MDS. This place is really full of a ton of great people. I was posting up a few weeks or so, mighta been a month, can't quite remember the date. I was posting up as my wife was heading out of town and I was looking for a fishing hole for me and my 2 kids. Someone PM'ed me and asked if I wanted to hit up their farm and go fishing with my kids and their kids. They didn't have to offer it up, but just did. I have bought ammo from Ammo Jon, went fishing, etc. I got to get my karma out there soon and you just reminded me so thanks!

Almost forgot. One time I posted up about an expensive backpack I was looking at buying before heading out on a trip. A guy pm'ed me and asked me if I wanted to borrow his to test it out (I'm talking a 400 dollar pack) while going away with my family for a week. You don't find that kind of stuff happening on 4chan I'd bet! LOL! Only MDS.

Can't go wrong with Jon. I am not worried about societal collapse because of Jon...at reasonable prices because I listened in January when he said BUY NOW

And I got my bow here. Wasn't free...it was a classified ad but it was EXTREMELY reasonably priced to do the forum a solid.

I love this place. I found it right before the world fell apart and think it's a great community.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    To everyone looking to get their kids in to archery I highly recommend your county’s 4H program.

Here in Caroline I can’t wait till the “virus” is gone. Here kids can shoot inside. At the county fair there was a demo area where they let kids try shooting. My two liked it but never wanted to commit to Monday nights. Finally we just took them one night and now they look forward to going. Only issue right now is UMD who won’t let practice happen inside. Can only meet outside limit of 8 people and a written plan has to be submitted every week for approval.

As to bows i can tell you as stated above the genesis bows are what the club uses and what most schools use. I researched a ton and ended up with a bear cruzer lite for my soN at the time he was 9. It has a draw length of 27” I think and adjustable from 5-40 lbs. For my daughter Who was 10 at the time I bought a bear cruzer and it’s ranges are up to 30” draw Length and 10-70lb Draw weight.

This is what has worked for us, and I think 4h has been great for my kids. They were thrilled to compete in the state tournament in 2019. With less than 7 months practice my daughter ended up in 10 th place. They were both bummed that it was canceled this year.

Good luck on your choices.

Also forgot to add I bought both Bows on eBay. There are some killer deals sometimes.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Start with a recurve and progress from there. No need for a long discussion. Basic crap and work up. Bow, arrows, glove, wrist guard call it a day.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    Samik sage off of amazon. About 119 and you can go to 20 lbs if I recall. The limbs are upgradable so you don’t have to buy a new bow as she grows

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    To everyone looking to get their kids in to archery I highly recommend your county’s 4H program.

Here in Caroline I can’t wait till the “virus” is gone. Here kids can shoot inside. At the county fair there was a demo area where they let kids try shooting. My two liked it but never wanted to commit to Monday nights. Finally we just took them one night and now they look forward to going. Only issue right now is UMD who won’t let practice happen inside. Can only meet outside limit of 8 people and a written plan has to be submitted every week for approval.

As to bows i can tell you as stated above the genesis bows are what the club uses and what most schools use. I researched a ton and ended up with a bear cruzer lite for my soN at the time he was 9. It has a draw length of 27” I think and adjustable from 5-40 lbs. For my daughter Who was 10 at the time I bought a bear cruzer and it’s ranges are up to 30” draw Length and 10-70lb Draw weight.

This is what has worked for us, and I think 4h has been great for my kids. They were thrilled to compete in the state tournament in 2019. With less than 7 months practice my daughter ended up in 10 th place. They were both bummed that it was canceled this year.

Good luck on your choices.

Also forgot to add I bought both Bows on eBay. There are some killer deals sometimes.

The Howard County 4H program has a Bullseye club which shoots archery in addition to rifle and shotgun. The archery kids practice at the Heart of Maryland Bowhunters range in Sykesville.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Skipjacks and Randomuser. I read this thread and remembered that I have a PSE starter bow and 3 fancy pink arrows with a homemade quiver hanging in the basement. I picked this up many moons ago for my daughters when they were little. They had a ball with it being they a so damn competitive. They are all grown up now so it has been hanging in the basement for years. If you guys are interested I would love to pass it on to your youngins! The price is right! FREE! If you both want it there will be a catch. I will PM a number between 1 and 100 to ERuby (the king of karma) if he is willing to play. Once I PM him the number. I will let you guys know then you can pick a number an whoever is closest wins. Will meet at the Mt Carmel Rd park n ride in Hereford for pickup. You guys in.

Daughter's first shot with the bow!

Thank you again! She is beside herself with excitement this morning

Attachments

• 20201031_100653.jpg
      20201031_100653.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 209

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Kids get bored quick. Get tennis balls for field points and buy some blunts or judo points also. I used a soccer ball and blunts for the kids. They found that to be a blast and they learned to estimate yardage better. When they get better switch to field points or judo's and a tennis ball. When picking up arrows kick the soccer ball or toss the tennis ball or varying yardage.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Kids get bored quick. Get tennis balls for field points and buy some blunts or judo points also. I used a soccer ball and blunts for the kids. They found that to be a blast and they learned to estimate yardage better. When they get better switch to field points or judo's and a tennis ball. When picking up arrows kick the soccer ball or toss the tennis ball or varying yardage.

I like this idea for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom