• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So...now that there is no bag limit on antlerless deer during bow season, I need a crossbow. What’s good? I have no clue.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Ten point was the go to for years. But with crossbow popularity surging the last 5 years or so more companies have gotten in the game. PSE, center point, Barnett, etc have some very nice bows for the price. I've shot a $1500 ten point and while it was very very nice, I don't think it's worth 4 of the others. I have a center point sniper 370 and a Barnett. Both great complete packages for someone looking to get into it. Buy a good shooting block as bolts will go through some cheaper targets made for slower compound bows. Rogers sporting goods had some on sale a few weeks ago.

So I guess it depends how much you wanna spend but you can get a ready to kill deer package for $500 and whack Bambi out to 50 yards all day.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I don't know much about them either, but the first time I shot it, my Ravin did this at 40yds:eek::
    close arrows.jpg

I also like the fact that the Ravin can easily be "decocked." Apparently, they all don't do that. :shrug:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have an excalibur matrix and mystepson has wicked ridge. His feels cheap but shoots as well as mine for 1/3 the price. If I hunted open fields and could shoot 100 yards, I'd go ravin. For most, 40 yards is a stretch and the lower priced xbows will work fine.

Don't forget usually the faster xbows destroy bolts, likely to spend $30 a shot lol

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Too bad you missed the 60 dollar amazon deal last fall. I found it posted on here bought one and it actually came. Should have been about a 400 dollar crossbow. It was a barnett whitetail hunter str. Got it for under 70 bucks.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Too bad you missed the 60 dollar amazon deal last fall. I found it posted on here bought one and it actually came. Should have been about a 400 dollar crossbow. It was a barnett whitetail hunter str. Got it for under 70 bucks.

Lol that's how I ended up with my Barnett. Had like 4 buddies get in on it too. Steal of the year.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I’ll give you $85 for it....

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    So...now that there is no bag limit on antlerless deer during bow season, I need a crossbow. What’s good? I have no clue.

What, 15 wasn’t enough for you?

J/K.

Ten point or Excalibur have plenty of good models. Decide how much you want to spend and what your needs are. Ie, Uncocking maybe nice but at what cost is it not worth it vs using either a special bolt or target point and bag. You can pretty much go from $400- $2000.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I like the simplicity of an Excalibur recurve. Nice to be able to take it apart if you like for travel and to change your own string if you like.

I have an Excaliber Vortex. Went back to fiber sights on it since the scope was acting up. As deadly accurate as ever.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Anything from the Ten Point family

To include Horton Crossbow Innovations and Wicked Ridge

Make sure the quiver is InLine with the barrel, and not perpendicular to the barrel of the crossbow. That will allow you to walk normally threw thick brush. Otherwise with a perpendicular quiver, you will be walking sideways alot.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Anything from the Ten Point family

To include Horton Crossbow Innovations and Wicked Ridge

Make sure the quiver is InLine with the barrel, and not perpendicular to the barrel of the crossbow. That will allow you to walk normally threw thick brush. Otherwise with a perpendicular quiver, you will be walking sideways alot.

I must not be seeing the problem correctly. As long as the quiver is shorter than the limbs why not rotate the bow instead of your body?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I must not be seeing the problem correctly. As long as the quiver is shorter than the limbs why not rotate the bow instead of your body?

There in lies the issue. Most crossbows have attachment points for a sling.

Bolts say 20 to 24 inches in length, are wider than the cocked arms of the crossbow. The quiver mounted perpendicularly is offset, say 6 inches of a bolt is on one side of the barrel, leaving the remainder of the bolt to poke out the other side. Even the older crossbows limbs are not that wide when cocked.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I will add that, what cross bow you "need",, should match your skill level as a hunter and hunting environment on a few levels.

How many deer have you taken with a compound (or any vertical bow).
    Do you actively hunt? What type of stands do you hunt from, how high?
    Public land? private?

A lot of variables, no need to over buy for your situation.

In my case, I am 20-30 up, close quarters shooting in thick cover. I am shooting an Excalibur Micro, very heavy bolts, "Bolt cutter" fixed blades.
    I need something small, light and powerful, shooting a bolt that will go through "odd situations", but do not need any distance.

Let us know your situation and we can help you narrow it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom