• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Guys I have been thinking for a while about getting a long range precision barrel. I have 4 bolt guns of which I have one rem 700 sps stainless 270 win, then three custom build rifles utilizing Rem 700 actions and REMAGE barrels all from McGowen Precision. I was thinking as I have 8 AR utilizing Black Hole Weaponry barrels in 5.56 , 264 LBC, 260 Rem, 308 win . They are all very, very accurate AR’s. So I am thinking of trying a BHW Remage in either 260 Rem or 308win. I can get the 260 1-8 twist and the 308 win in 1-10 or 1-9.73. . This is mainly a long range target barrel. Or should I settle for a x- caliber barrel with 5R rifling. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What do you consider long range? Also will you be shooting known distance or unkown distance at that range? 260 vs 308 there is no real difference until about 800 yards or so(rough estimate). Once you go beyond 800, the 260 will start to have an edge.

Barrel length(24" through 30"), twist, what reamer is used (longer freebore for heavy BC bullets) all come into play.

I'm probably making this more difficult but understanding what it will be used for will help. Lots of guys shoot Bartlein or Kreiger barrels and they are very well known and regarded. If you're spending $300/barrel why not spend $100 more for a known great barrel?

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    No you are not making it difficult I have a basic knowledge of all the concepts you are talking about. I get it that to 800 yds they are basic trade offs. Even though I want it to shoot 1,000 yds I still have not shot past 300 yds. I have rifles that are well capable of 1,000 yds plus. I am basically torn between 308 wins with heavy bullets and 6.5 mm all the same just a less recoil. For our performance in terms of hits ratio the 6.5 will win every time. Just not sure if I want a match chamber that may require turning necks. I can always lengthen the freebore.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes I get it Bartlien, Krueger but my AR barrels all BHW are all sub moa. Excellent and cleaning is a jiffy. So I am thinking give it a whirl.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Don’t overlook Proof Research. I use their all steel barrels and they are hammers if you do your part. They are cut rifled and the shoot with the kreiger/bartliens I’ve had..... I’m currently shooting 2 of them in my 6x47 and my 223. Both are easily 1/2 moa from a bench.....

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    Don't overlook Lilja barrels. His barrels have been in the Olympics, so they can't be awful. :)

My ar with a 1:8, 22.5" long, 223 Wylde chamber is the most accurate thing I own. On a bad day it's 1/2 moa, if I do my part, it's 1/4moa.

That was from the bench, with solid rests at 100 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20180130_113918844.jpg
      IMG_20180130_113918844.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 239

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The 308 barell should theoretically last longer. Out to 1000 my choice would be the 308 in a 10 twist 22 or 24 inch tube. My 20" reaches 1k and the 308 doesn't gain much with a longer tube. The 10twist will handle 180gr vld type bullets fine. In my opinion the 200gr+ 30cal pills are better suited to cartridges with more powder behind them.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    800yds? Its more like 400-500yds... I have both, like both, and will always have both. But, the 308 is a chump compared to the 260. The 260 is faster with less recoil, less wind drift and less drop.

Ive talked to a lot of smiths and used cut and button barrels - other than cost, there was no discernible difference in accuracy. Not once did "match chamber' come into the conversation and all of barrels have been awesome. Pretty sure if you use a reputable smith and barrel, cut it to SAAMI, you'll get what your looking for.

As always, I defer to Ed Shell and anything he says.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks guys I love the input. To a point you know you already know the answer you just want to hear it from others. For me it’s really whether I want to go with an x- caliber 260 with 5R 1-8 twist rifling or take the plunge and see how a polygonal barrel works on the bolt gun platform. My current inventory of McGowen Precision barrels are awesome as well. But it’s really a 260 Rem chamber in a long action that is going to be the baseline. I’ll let you know if I go polygonal or button rifling. Thanks gents. I’ll let you know where I land.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't overlook Lilja barrels. His barrels have been in the Olympics, so they can't be awful. :)

My ar with a 1:8, 22.5" long, 223 Wylde chamber is the most accurate thing I own. On a bad day it's 1/2 moa, if I do my part, it's 1/4moa.

That was from the bench, with solid rests at 100 yards.

I am also a Lilja fan.

Benchrester. So SERIOUS about accuracy

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd be tempted to throw Criterion in the mix. Lothar Walther as well.

However, as I get older and hopefully wiser, I am trending towards the pay once cry once philosophy. Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, etc from a known good smith on a precision bolt gun.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The good news is that today we have lots of great barrel manufactures, most will likely fit the bill unless you're chasing really tiny groups at distance (fclass, benchrest, etc). There is a difference between shooting a 20"x20" plate at 1k vs shooting for a 6" X ring.

Sometimes you get unlucky and find one that wont shoot well (all brands have them). I personally prefer a lighter recoiling rifle that cuts the wind well (6mm or 6.5mm range). But if I was using the rifle for hunting at distance, I'd probably step up to a larger round(7mm or 300 norma/win mag).

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Personally, I'd be MUCH more concerned with who installs it than with choosing between any of about 6-8 superb makers.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have built 3 previous Rem 700 project guns with Remage Barrels , and about nine AR’s four of which are 80% projects. So while I am not a gunsmith I am very familiar with all the processes, tools gauges etc. My REMAGE build are a 270 win with a 1-8 twist 26” barrel Shoots 170 Berger Elite Hunters at 2,930 FPS. A 284 win 28” 1-8 twist shoots 195 Berger Elite Hunters at 2,780 fps and a 338 win Mag 26” 1-10 twist which shoots. 250 gr Berger Elite Hunters at 2,850 FPS. They are all sub moa rifles. so I have the hunting bases covered. This is a target barrel to slap on one of the two standard .473 long action barrels rifles. I have all the go no-go gauges so we are good. Once you switch or put on a barrel several times it is a cinch. But I think I have settled on the 260 Rem and I may stretch the free ore a little to take advantage of the long action firing the 150 gr plus bullets. So I am thinking of going with the BHW barrel. More than curious about how accurate their bolt barrels are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom