• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vcowboy104

Apr 23, 2020
    Clarksburg, MD
    Hello everyone. New here. From the Clarksburg, MD area. Just did my HQL yesterday. About how long does the process take? Once I see my number can I start making purchases or do I have to wait to have my card in hand?

Last edited:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Welcome from Timonium.

It varies. Assuming you have submitted all paperwork, can take at least 7 days to up to 2 weeks to process paperwork (especially right now), then another 10 days to receive it by mail. You cannot start paperwork to purchase a regulated firearm until the HQL is in hand. Some shops may be willing to hold or order a firearm for you until you have it in hand, assuming you pay in full.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Welcome! My HQL was approved in about 2 weeks and the card came in another week. I figured it would take longer during these COVID19 times.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Mine took 2- 3 weeks as well but that was years ago. I believe you must have the card in before you can start any paperwork to buy a pistol. A dealer may let you buy what you want but must wait to have the cost to do the transfer

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Mine took 2- 3 weeks as well but that was years ago. I believe you must have the card in before you can start any paperwork to buy a pistol. A dealer may let you buy what you want but must wait to have the cost to do the transfer

Its up to your dealer to start or wait. You must have the card in hand to recieve

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    I am a MD HQL instructor and its hard to say how long it will take to get your HQL permit. In the past it would take between 10 to 14 days which allows the MD State Police to process your background check and complete your paperwork and issue you a HQL permit. However, now with the State of MD being in lock down mode, I would suspect it will take longer. Without your HQL permit you cannot purchase a handgun in MD (thus the reason you took the HQL training). In the meantime, you could research the types of handguns you may be interested in and ask individuals in the group for their opinions. There is a large amount of expertise here. I wish you good luck in getting your HQL and remember just getting a HQL does not mean that you are qualified to use that handgun. I recommend getting additional training and there are many instructors that are part of this group. Good luck and be safe. Dr. John

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Copy thanks. When I emailed MSP HQL they said they still have 30 days to process. So we will see

In the past, say around 2013 - they would hold things to the last minute before they would “Not Disapprove”. Of course that was then, and there wasn’t a pandemic adding to the mix. Welcome to the forum, there’s a wealth of knowledge to tap in this group. I’m surprised you have to get a HQL, as you’re a former LEO. Good luck with your purchase, you could find yourself a C&R handgun if you’re in a hurry, then you only need to wait 7 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom