• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    I work down the street from Restaurant Depot in Alexandria, this morning around 10am the lot was really full and it was clear it was not restaurants stocking up for the busy weekend coming up, about 20 minutes ago one of my techs came back from a road test and told me you cannot get into parking lot, cars are blocking eisenhower ave trying to get in to a lot with no room for cars to pull in and people are parking across the street at neighboring businesses. Craziness....

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    If you have a food dehydrator you can dehydrate milk and keep it in an airtight container for a long time.

or just buy powdered milk in the first place...

I saw the same panic buying in Easton MD. Carts piled high with milk, bread, chicken, eggs etc. more highly perishable stuff than even a large family could finish before it spoiled. The bread aisle was empty except for hot dog buns and English muffins. Interestingly though there was plenty of flour and yeast.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    or just buy powdered milk in the first place...

I saw the same panic buying in Easton MD. Carts piled high with milk, bread, chicken, eggs etc. more highly perishable stuff than even a large family could finish before it spoiled. The bread aisle was empty except for hot dog buns and English muffins. Interestingly though there was plenty of flour and yeast.

Does it taste right or is it off like instant potatoes?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If you have a food dehydrator you can dehydrate milk and keep it in an airtight container for a long time.

Since you are the Charlie Daniels of the food dehydrator, is it practical to dehydrate eggs?

My chickens lay way more than I eat so I give away a ton of eggs, but they don’t lay in the winter when the days are really short. I’d love to save my summer egg surplus for winter use.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Powdered milk has a distinct taste and varies from brand to brand. For longevity, it is usually skim as well so the fat does not go rancid. The old trick was to cut whole fresh milk with reconstituted powdered skim 50/50 to extend it for cheap. The best tasting powdered milk is the stuff in big cans from the large prepper type supply places like emergency essentials. There are plastic pitchers for mixing and storing it that have a plunger/dasher built into the lid to mix and aerate it. The aeration along with chilling of course makes it taste better. They would throw in a pitcher if you bought a case of cans.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Or you can buy pre dehydrated

81YBBu6k6lL._SL1500_.jpg

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Since you are the Charlie Daniels of the food dehydrator, is it practical to dehydrate eggs?

My chickens lay way more than I eat so I give away a ton of eggs, but they don’t lay in the winter when the days are really short. I’d love to save my summer egg surplus for winter use.

Yes! Some people crack them right into the dehydrator and dehydrate them, some dehydrate egg whites only, and some scramble and cook them and then dehydrate them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I might have missed this posted in this thread or the other, but one of the Maryland positive cases yesterday was from PG County, and they are designating as community transmission. The Post wrote, "a man in his 60s who had not recently traveled or interacted with an existing patient."

If school closures were under discussion, this sealed the deal. For every 1 community transmission person that they diagnose assume that there are 4-5 that they haven't (from 1-2 weeks ago), and some of these people have been actively spreading.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I might have missed this posted in this thread or the other, but one of the Maryland positive cases yesterday was from PG County, and they are designating as community transmission. The Post wrote, "a man in his 60s who had not recently traveled or interacted with an existing patient."

If school closures were under discussion, this sealed the deal. For every 1 community transmission person that they diagnose assume that there are 4-5 that they haven't (from 1-2 weeks ago), and some of these people have been actively spreading.

Kinda like...

Attachments

• Tribbles.jpg
      Tribbles.jpg
      30.3 KB · Views: 340

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    I called a buddy of mine to see how his business was doing with all this - he’s an internet retailer - one of his items is a case of freeze dried food that sells usually for 129. Demand was so high they started upping price to 200,300,400 then to the maximum Amazon would allow of 490 - people still buying at that price. Ridiculous.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I called a buddy of mine to see how his business was doing with all this - he’s an internet retailer - one of his items is a case of freeze dried food that sells usually for 129. Demand was so high they started upping price to 200,300,400 then to the maximum Amazon would allow of 490 - people still buying at that price. Ridiculous.

Give it a few months and they'll start popping up on eBay for $60

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Don’t you have an errant horse to chase?

He did ship from the Netherlands late yesterday, no update yet.
    Outrider, I don’t know bout chickens but horses are carriers. We have clients in France, I’ll see if they can ship over some freeze dried pony.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    He did ship from the Netherlands late yesterday, no update yet.
    Outrider, I don’t know bout chickens but horses are carriers. We have clients in France, I’ll see if they can ship over some freeze dried pony.

As long as you cook it right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom