• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I've been searching for one of these for a long time. Recently picked one up for a fair price:thumbsup:. Anyway I want to remove the hand guards and replace with a 9" MI SSM M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard . I plan to run it suppressed. I've read that I need a barrel nut converter to use common ar rails, can someone point me in the right direction.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You will need to buy the tool on his site to take the factory barrel nut off and you will need the alloy vise jaws because you can't get the OEM barrel nut off using the regular AR receiver vise blocks or you run the risk of breaking the polymer receiver. You have to clamp the barrel in the vise and those jaws prevent doing permanent damage to the barrel exterior. Once you have that all apart you can put his replacement barrel nut on, tightening it down with the barrel, again, locked in the alloy vise jaws. At that point you can put any handguard on either by using the makers adapter or by putting a regular AR-15 barrel nut on his adapter. Just depends on how the handguard makers mounts his. My 15-22s have mounted handguards from Samson, Nordic, Taccom, Hogue, and AP Custom.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Just a quick update.

Thanks for the tips and links I made some progress. Not sure I love the handguard but it will do for now.

I ended up having to cut the original handgard off to get get the flash hider off. Here it is all disassemble.
    2015_05_03_13_34_46.jpg

Here it is back together hosting my Spectre II. I still need to add sights, red dot, and replace the grip.

2015_05_06_19_26_13.jpg

Last edited:

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I've been searching for one of these for a long time. Recently picked one up for a fair price

I'm in the same search; can you reveal your source, or the method by which you found it?! Having a 15-22 rifle, I'd love to have a SBR version and this may be the easiest way
    Thanks!

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I'm in the same search; can you reveal your source, or the method by which you found it?! Having a 15-22 rifle, I'd love to have a SBR version and this may be the easiest way
    Thanks!

I got lucky somebody had it for sale on AR15's EE. I paid 385.00 + transfer fee's.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks!

Not an expert but either you can't go from an SBR to a pistol or from a pistol to an SBR. One is legal and one is not, but not sure which. Has to do with how it was registered by the maker I think. Either way you still have to go the ATF stamp way to make an SBR. Easier just to get the rifle, pay the money and then get someone to cut your barrel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not an expert but either you can't go from an SBR to a pistol or from a pistol to an SBR. One is legal and one is not, but not sure which. Has to do with how it was registered by the maker I think. Either way you still have to go the ATF stamp way to make an SBR. Easier just to get the rifle, pay the money and then get someone to cut your barrel.

You can go from pistol to SBR, WITH the proper tax stamp. It is done all the time. Build an AR pistol, apply for tax stamp, add buttstock when tax stamp comes in.

You cannot go from rifle to pistol.

You can go rifle to SBR. Again, tax stamp needed.

You can go from pistol to rifle. And back to pistol. As long as you start with a pistol.

Convoluted? Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom