My Springfield Armory 1911 is picky about Ammunition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Got a question for fellow Springfield Armory 1911 owners.

I have a Milspec model from 2008 that hates CCI Blazers, per every box of 50 i have put through it, i get about 5-10 FTFires. I of course find this out after foolishly buying 400 rounds of the stuff. Anyway, I gave my buddy a box to use in his .45 XD and they worked flawlessly. I also have the same problem with Fiocchi ammo.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Also I've been thinking about buying one of the Wolf Ammo Tins full of 450 rounds of the polymer coated case .45 ACP, but I'd hate for the same thing to happen with them. So I'd like to hear about anyone's experience with the stuff. I know it has a reputation for being dirty, I dont mind that I'd just like some reliable, reasonably priced ammunition -- which I think may be asking for too much these days.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I had a SA 1911 that was picky...
    The guy at Shooters Discount, where I bought it, told me, "Don't feed that thing crap ammo. Feed it the good stuff."

He was right. I ended up reloading.

I once tried to feed it LSWC. I jammed so bad I thought I was never going to get it out.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    How many rounds have you had through the gun?
    a lot of 1911's need to be worn in before they become reliable

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    What ammunition has feed reliably through it? How many hundreds per malfunction?

What magazines are you using?

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    I really appreciate all the feedback I'm receiving so far. This forum is great! Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

What ammunition has feed reliably through it? How many hundreds per malfunction?

What magazines are you using?

I'm not sure if this is going to answer your question about hundreds per malfunction, i might be reading the question wrong

Just off the top of my head, I'd say roundabout
    250 Rounds Remington Green box with 0 malfunctions.
    250 Rounds from a UMC Mega Pack with 0 malfunctions.
    200 rounds American Eagle 0 malfunctions.
    150 CCI with 8-12 malfunctions per 100, and
    100 Fiocchi rounds with about 6 malfunctions.

When the gun had about 200 rounds through it I bought a box of CCI blazer and had 2 Fail to Fires and figured it just wasn't broken in yet and forgot about it. So now it has over 1000 rounds through it and with the scarcity of .45 ammo I purchased 400 rounds of blazers at a decent price and hoped for the best. I used 2 boxes of the stuff and with all the Fail to Fires (about 12) abandoned it and started shooting my from UMC stock without any hiccups.

I'm using the same 2 SA Factory magazines that came new with the gun.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    When you say "Fail to fire", are you picking up the ejected round and seeing a primer strike?

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Got a question for fellow Springfield Armory 1911 owners.

I have a Milspec model from 2008 that hates CCI Blazers, per every box of 50 i have put through it, i get about 5-10 FTFires. I of course find this out after foolishly buying 400 rounds of the stuff. Anyway, I gave my buddy a box to use in his .45 XD and they worked flawlessly. I also have the same problem with Fiocchi ammo.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Also I've been thinking about buying one of the Wolf Ammo Tins full of 450 rounds of the polymer coated case .45 ACP, but I'd hate for the same thing to happen with them. So I'd like to hear about anyone's experience with the stuff. I know it has a reputation for being dirty, I dont mind that I'd just like some reliable, reasonably priced ammunition -- which I think may be asking for too much these days.

Here's how you solve your problem...when we go out for lunch when the semester is over...you bring me alla your left-over ammo, I'll buy it from you for a fee, and then you can go buy "the good stuff"...we're both happy, and problem solved!

:D

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Here's how you solve your problem...when we go out for lunch when the semester is over...you bring me alla your left-over ammo, I'll buy it from you for a fee, and then you can go buy "the good stuff"...we're both happy, and problem solved!

:D

Shoot, you're almost done aren't you? Not a bad idea, I've been sitting on 300 rounds of these Blazers for about 2 months now

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've had my fair share of Fiochi ammo that FTF with primer strikes, Haven't used CCI though.... I'd bet it's simply the ammo. Mine's the other way around though, never a problem in the 1911 but the XD had the malfunctions. lol

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have shot mostly reloads out of my SA 1911-A1. The only FTFeeds involved the factory magazines. Since switching to Chip McCormick Power Magazines it has been 100%. In the 1000+/- rounds I have shot out of it, they have all be 230gn round noses, so I'm not much help.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    well I guess I'll just stick with my stockpile of CCI Blazer 45's until I buy another .45 which I'm sure isn't too far away. Thanks for all the replies fellas!

Anyone have good experiences with the Wolf .45 polymer coated case? My gut says stay away from it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Out of a 1911, most problems are jams in one shape or another, fail to feed, fail to eject, 3pt jam etc.. An honest to goodness fail to fire is somewhat rare, and usually the result of a light mainspring, or poorly fitted hammer, if you cock the hammer and fire a 2nd time, do they light?

Wolf and fiocci use very hard primers, and CCI are relatively hard, but normally no worse than remington, if they are feeding ok, and you want to make sure they fire, try a heavier mainspring, some companies try to get a better trigger by using a light mainspring instead of working with the sear/hammer mating surface and angles with a normal weight spring, Taurus is notorious for it, but springfield, not so much, if you installed a titanium firing pin, or heavier firing pin spring, that could also be a cause, along with any burs in the firing pin stop or hammer group.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I really appreciate all the feedback I'm receiving so far. This forum is great! Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this is going to answer your question about hundreds per malfunction, i might be reading the question wrong

Just off the top of my head, I'd say roundabout
    250 Rounds Remington Green box with 0 malfunctions.
    250 Rounds from a UMC Mega Pack with 0 malfunctions.
    200 rounds American Eagle 0 malfunctions.
    150 CCI with 8-12 malfunctions per 100, and
    100 Fiocchi rounds with about 6 malfunctions.

When the gun had about 200 rounds through it I bought a box of CCI blazer and had 2 Fail to Fires and figured it just wasn't broken in yet and forgot about it. So now it has over 1000 rounds through it and with the scarcity of .45 ammo I purchased 400 rounds of blazers at a decent price and hoped for the best. I used 2 boxes of the stuff and with all the Fail to Fires (about 12) abandoned it and started shooting my from UMC stock without any hiccups.

I'm using the same 2 SA Factory magazines that came new with the gun.

Sounds like you have your answer: stop using sh!tty ammo. Buy a Glock to shoot the Blazers- they shoot the same with good or bad ammo. Hell, you could probably wedge a bottlecap in there and get it to fire.

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    ...... An honest to goodness fail to fire is somewhat rare, and usually the result of a light mainspring, or poorly fitted hammer, if you cock the hammer and fire a 2nd time, do they light?

Still relatively new to shooting and whenever I got the Fail to Fires, I would count to 30, then rack the slide to eject the unfired round. Never tried a 2nd time to fire. What is the appropriate way to handle a Fail to Fire?

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    30 seconds is a bit of overkill, but why not? I was taught 10 seconds and eject.

Whenever I have had a FTF (and it has been rare), I do not hesitate to load it up again and light it off. Maybe I am wrong.

I have had zero issues with Blazer through my Taurus PT145 or the wife's S&W 4506 style pistol. On the other hand, I have had a few FTF's using UMC. I had a couple boxes that gave FTF's in both guns. I have used some other ammo (Fiochi, WWB, and American Eagle mostly) and have never had a FTF other than the UMC.

Go figure.

Splitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom