• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    They seem to cater to women alot on that x10 site.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Astak.com is my new friend. 4 cameras, 250GB DVR (about a month of recording all four cameras constantly), motion sensing, night vision, etc... Shipped was $500.

I installed this at a house once and there is no way to approach any of their entrances, including windows, without being on at least two cameras. I was very impressed.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I hope to set this up someday:

Zone Minder

Open sourced Linux-based solution a guy wrote because he got broken into and there wasn't any OS out there yet. I think it would be cool if you could do this and then store the video off-site. You can set it up so you only record when there is a change on the screen. You can even set up zones, so if your camera is partially pointing at a road, you can tell it to ignore that part of the screen but record if something else happens on the rest of it.

For cameras you can basically use anything that is compatible with Linux, from web cams to CCTV with proprietary boards.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I hope to set this up someday:

Zone Minder

Open sourced Linux-based solution a guy wrote because he got broken into and there wasn't any OS out there yet. I think it would be cool if you could do this and then store the video off-site. You can set it up so you only record when there is a change on the screen. You can even set up zones, so if your camera is partially pointing at a road, you can tell it to ignore that part of the screen but record if something else happens on the rest of it.

For cameras you can basically use anything that is compatible with Linux, from web cams to CCTV with proprietary boards.

I've had my eye on that project for years now.:party29: Just wish I had the time and a few bucks to put it together.:o:innocent0

donmega334

Mar 5, 2009
    Whosville
    Home Security Systems are a must, about 10 years back while the whole family was sleeping a burglar punched an icepick through a window, unlocked and came right in, cleaned out our cash and made off. We had no idea anything had happened until my dad woke up to go to work and saw all his credit cards and DL laid out on the desk. --- btw it was awfully considerate of the burglar to leave them alone, even if he was acting in his interest -- makes you wonder what else he could've done while we were asleep in our beds. The same week we had an alarm installed that had every door and window monitored.

Anyway long story short, even if the police never respond in time, the most important role of alarms is as a way of letting you know when something is going on in your house and you can wake up and defend yourself and your family.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Anyway long story short, even if the police never respond in time, the most important role of alarms is as a way of letting you know when something is going on in your house and you can wake up and defend yourself and your family.

And that is just it, don't count on the police to be there within seconds. Even minutes. Without understanding the patrol area of responsibility, staffing, call volume and the so many other factors this is simple the truth. The police are great.. wonderful even. Just not omnipresent, omnipotent..

I can see its utility to wake you up at night certainly. Give you a heads up. That can be accomplished at RadioShack for 10 bucks a pop:
    pRS1C-4037815_rshalt1_dt.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2850623

I like mine.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    That is cool. I am not the slightest bit familiar with Linux stuff though. Would an old Compaq desktop do well for this? All 300Mhz processing power and say 256MB of ram?

The biggest thing is the capture board.

If you do software compression then the CPU does the work, and you need a powerful one. If you can get a hardware compression board (more expensive) the board does all the work and the CPU doesn't have to be as strong.

I'm not sure if ZM supports hardware compression boards though. I'd need to do some research.

300Mhz is really old and finding a used PC even 2-3 years old would be < $400. System memory is really cheap these days.

If your interested in setting this up I can help you, just PM me. I've done IT work for about 12 years now.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    If your interested in setting this up I can help you, just PM me. I've done IT work for about 12 years now.

I will get to you, hopefully sooner rather than later. My effort is going into getting into the new home. I will get it secured as best as I can soon.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Well what system did you get!?

I am on the fence of wired or wireless. Wireless still needs power so needs at least power lines. And not a fan of punching holes in my new place.

Is it as challenging to professionally install wiring as I am letting myself believe?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Well what system did you get!?

I am on the fence of wired or wireless. Wireless still needs power so needs at least power lines. And not a fan of punching holes in my new place.

Is it as challenging to professionally install wiring as I am letting myself believe?

I think it depends on how much access you have. If your attic goes over the wall you want to install, I say do it yourself.

Some of the X10 gear, or other cameras perhaps, might be able to powered over ethernet. Which means you run 1 ethernet cable and you use 1 of the pairs for power to the device and 2 other pairs for data. Your camera has to be specially set up to do this, and your router has to support the powered ethernet capability. This would at least save you from having to run 2 lines and you wouldn't have to run AC and possible prevent you from having to have it inspected.

my 2 cents anyways. I need to get started on this myself.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    The wireless X-10 system that ties to your PC/Laptop or the "stand alone" can be backed up with a small ups system.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I want a system that can handle a power failure, is reliable, records over the hard drive when all 200+ GB are used, all by itself.

I'm wondering if all the RF will affect the rest of my house. As it is wnen the wife is on the cordless 2.4 ghz phone, the WiFi degrades big time.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I want a system that can handle a power failure, is reliable, records over the hard drive when all 200+ GB are used, all by itself.

I'm wondering if all the RF will affect the rest of my house. As it is wnen the wife is on the cordless 2.4 ghz phone, the WiFi degrades big time.

If you want to go secure, then go wired.

Also, you only need to record when there is motion so make sure you get a system that can do that. (Zone Minder can)

If your serious about recording, make sure your internet connection is always up (need a backup method if you use comcast, like EVDO) and then send the files to a secure server. This will require additional $$ for the service but good online storage these days is cheap. It is reasonable to believe that a good thief could break in and steal any computer you have on location. Sending the recorded video off-site will at least provide evidence they can't steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom