• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    My 597 has some teething pains, but has moved into my #1 spot for reliability.

Accuracy wise, I'll put it up against any auto .22, and many bolt guns.

With regard to the mags - yeah - they are tight! Force that 10th round in there and let is acclimate for a couple of weeks, and they will work fine.

DSC_5103.JPG

DSC_5098.JPG

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    Has anyone put a promag archangel kit on their 597? I have an archangel 10 22 set up already. Just wondering if others think its worth doing to the 597 and if its fit and quality is as good as the 10 22 archangel.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    I think the big difference of opinion you see on the 597 has a lot to do with Remington's spotty quality. You see a lot of the same from the 870 in recent years. Some people have nothing but trouble and others have no trouble at all. I also wouldn't compare a heavy barrel target model 597 to a Walmart model either.

My cheap, bottom of the barrel, ugly green synthetic stock 597 has been pretty flawless and accurate for the 4000 or so rounds it has seen. Yes I have had my share of problems with the 30 round mags and even the 10 round factory mags, but most of that will work itself out with use. Sometimes if you load them and leave them that way, they get easier to use. Some of the mags are just plain junk. Again it seems to be the spotty quality control that Remington has become know for in the last decade.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I think the big difference of opinion you see on the 597 has a lot to do with Remington's spotty quality. You see a lot of the same from the 870 in recent years. Some people have nothing but trouble and others have no trouble at all. I also wouldn't compare a heavy barrel target model 597 to a Walmart model either.

My cheap, bottom of the barrel, ugly green synthetic stock 597 has been pretty flawless and accurate for the 4000 or so rounds it has seen. Yes I have had my share of problems with the 30 round mags and even the 10 round factory mags, but most of that will work itself out with use. Sometimes if you load them and leave them that way, they get easier to use. Some of the mags are just plain junk. Again it seems to be the spotty quality control that Remington has become know for in the last decade.

agreed. "Spotty Quality" in my case ended up requiring two trips to Remington for a cracked receiver and a bad barrel.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I have one and I love it. I think it is far superior to the Ruger 1022. I will probably catch flack for saying that but that is what I believe. It has a heavier barrel a nicer mag release and a better stock. It feels a lot better than the 1022. It actually feels like a real rifle. The only issue is with magazine some magazines when they get dirty they tend to freeze up as the follower rises in the magazine body. After fixing that problem I have never had a problem related to the rifle itself. It is also very accurate. I love mine enough that I went out and bought a laminated stock for it is a great rifle for a very good price

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Has anyone put a promag archangel kit on their 597? I have an archangel 10 22 set up already. Just wondering if others think its worth doing to the 597 and if its fit and quality is as good as the 10 22 archangel.
    I did one of those on mine. Shot it in some Ruger Rimfire matches. Ran fine. Ended up selling the Archangel kit to buy a Remington VTR stock kit. That uses real AR stocks and handguards. That was the setup used in the NRA magazine's Tactical .22 test to shoot the tightest groups even over the tactical 10/22. However I have been thinking about getting a CDPS bullpup 597 stock kit next. The next run of them is going to be in November this year.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My 597 has some teething pains, but has moved into my #1 spot for reliability.

Accuracy wise, I'll put it up against any auto .22, and many bolt guns.

With regard to the mags - yeah - they are tight! Force that 10th round in there and let is acclimate for a couple of weeks, and they will work fine.

DSC_5103.JPG

DSC_5098.JPG
    Similar to mine except I dumped my heavy thumbhole stock for a VTR tactical stock kit. VQ carbon fiber threaded barrel, Jard 2# match trigger, etc.
    After winning my clubs rimfire rifle metallic silhouette trophy for the 3rd year I entered my first NRA rifle qualifier last weekend. Shot just 4 points below Distinguished Expert on the benchrest category first time out. Need to pull it up slightly in the next 2 to get that. Had a rain delay in the middle that ended up costing me a few points when I came back to finish. Not my normal activity but have decided to branch out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom