• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a revolver for pocket carry. I generally carry a G43 or G43x IWB but on days when I'm feeling particularly lazy or dressing in such a way that it makes it uncomfortable for my body type, I throw an LCP in the pocket with a pocket holster.

LCP has been fine, but all things being equal, I'd trust the reliability of a revolver of the LCP. I'm not a revolver > semi auto guy. In fact, the opposite. I'm speaking only of trusting them more than tiny pocket semiautos like the LCP.

So, does anyone pocket carry a revolver, and if so, what is recommended? I'm assuming I'm looking at a 5 shot 38sp +p as a .357 or a 6 shot cylinder might make weight/size unreasonable for pocket carry.

Thanks

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get the Desantis pocket clip grip for it. Perfect for the top of the pocket.
    09f28b4eeb8ee34bc87f4723a6397fc1.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    https://ruger.com/products/lcr/overview.html

Not a range gun, but I was surprised by how well the gun seems to be made. Couple of caliber options.

My LCR (not X) rides great in my pocket when things are uncertain around the farm. It isn't exactly fast draw, but with the enclosed hammer, there hasn't been anything to snag on the way out yet (haven't had to draw it for real though). I don't use any sort of holster...just nothing else in the pocket. I'm absolutely confident that it isn't going to go off on its own. It rides naturally canted forward a bit and doesn't print much more than a cell phone. Even if it did magically go off, aside of probably burning my leg, there is no way the projectile would hit me.

Mine's 38+P. Although I really don't know if the +P makes a difference in the short barrel (blast and felt recoil seem the same with 158 gr swc), I use Critical Defense. There is indeed some recoil, but the grip is big enough to hold onto. Katie doesn't really like it, but I think it's pleasant to shoot (on the range, at least. Defensively, with no earpro I'm sure would suck).

If I had to do it over again (or, when I buy the next one), I think I'd go for 9mm. Supposedly the ballistics are better out of the short barrel, and moon clips should be easier for a reload (my speedloader can be a little tricky sometimes).

Can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver :shrug:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's a number of excellent revolvers to recommend...you have to go with the one that you like best. One thing I will say is there's little reason for +P as the short barrel won't give the velocity benefit plus the added recoil and flash. There are some excellent standard pressure loads made specifically for short barrel guns.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    How is the recoil. The LCP is not pleasant to shoot.

I actually don’t think the LCP is that bad, I use an extension on my grips and allows for better grip. It’s such an easy gun to throw in a pocket and forget and while I’m sure it’s not perfect on all reliability tests mine has never had a failure. I will say for any owners shoot the carry load as well as the practice loads. Gold Dot and Critical Defense .380 loads are a bit snappier and flashier than old FMJ.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I actually don’t think the LCP is that bad, I use an extension on my grips and allows for better grip. It’s such an easy gun to throw in a pocket and forget and while I’m sure it’s not perfect on all reliability tests mine has never had a failure. I will say for any owners shoot the carry load as well as the practice loads. Gold Dot and Critical Defense .380 loads are a bit snappier and flashier than old FMJ.

Oh, I carry mine. It’s been very reliable. I only shoot the carry loads. I use Critical Defense.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I realize that the OP said revolver, so someone may have mis-posted LCP, when they meant LCR... maybe/maybe not... however, I like how the LCP hides nicely behind a few folded dollar bills in front of it in the front pocket. Snappy, but I don't put 100 rounds through it at the range. Excellent backup gun.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    My first (and only) carry experience was a s&w model 36 pocket carry. It felt secure, yet accessible if needed. Although I never actually drew it.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I realize that the OP said revolver, so someone may have mis-posted LCP, when they meant LCR... maybe/maybe not... however, I like how the LCP hides nicely behind a few folded dollar bills in front of it in the front pocket. Snappy, but I don't put 100 rounds through it at the range. Excellent backup gun.

We moved into comparing recoil of LCP vs compact revolvers.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Oh, I carry mine. It’s been very reliable. I only shoot the carry loads. I use Critical Defense.

I tarted mine up with a set of CT laser grips too, made it easier for target acquisition and painted the front ramp white on mine as a backup. On the stock sights before all that it was a bit of a challenge to group well even at 7 yards.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    My 36 carries ok in a back pocket, little heavy in the front one. If that’s all I was carrying it’d be in a regular holster at 5 o’clock. Carried that way many a time when I had more need.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    We moved into comparing recoil of LCP vs compact revolvers.

Ah... yes... LCP snappy... I'm looking at the SP101... but I just can't get past the 5 round capacity... I'd be giving up 8... :shrug:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Ah... yes... LCP snappy... I'm looking at the SP101... but I just can't get past the 5 round capacity... I'd be giving up 8... :shrug:

Comes down to what you’re comfortable with. Sure there are (were) times I wish I had more than 5 on board, but my risk was very close as in your face. I felt comfortable with a 5 shot .38, but there was a 17 rd 9mm not far from my AO. If I were to carry on a regular basis over different areas I would choose something with more rounds too.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I should be getting my HQL card tomorrow and then I'm on the hunt for a Ruger SP101 and also LCR22mag revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom