How I got into Full Auto Cheap but still have a nice gun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    What are the repair rules for MG's?

Let's say buy a mac10, convert it to a Max-11 and after a few years of heavy use, I crack a weld: can I get it fixed? How far can I go to change the weapon? Can I still get parts for internals?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    For those folks that really want to get into Selective fire / NFA stuff:

Here is a good list of weapons:

Entry Level:( 3500-4500)
    SWD mac11/9
    Sten
    SW 76

Medium:( 6500-8000)
    UZI ( full size)
    AC556
    FN-FNC
    Sterling MK IV

Expensive:(10-16K)
    M16
    DIAS ( Drop in auto sear for the M16)
    Sear packs for HK's

Very expensive:
    Too numerous to list

Relatively Cheap but POS.
    Stemples
    Spitfires
    Lightning links

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What are the repair rules for MG's?

Let's say buy a mac10, convert it to a Max-11 and after a few years of heavy use, I crack a weld: can I get it fixed? How far can I go to change the weapon? Can I still get parts for internals?

If we are talking Macs... You are in luck. There are many local Class3 smiths in Maryland that specialize on the MAC smgs.

I have broken a weld on a mac and sent it in for repairs. It is good as new.

The Rule is, you can only send it for repairs if the smith is also a NFA/ SOT.

Other Guns are harder to repair and you will have to find a reputable SOT to handle that. If you find one, the backlogs are usually more than 6 months wait.This is why most people opt for guns that are simple to repair. ( HK, macs, Uzi, M16)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    i'm working towards something like this, just wish i would talk myself into selling my 4 wheeled "investment":):innocent0

ruger ac556 with original folding stock.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=189294809

You can always buy a 4-wheeled investment anytime. They still make them.
    The AC556K is a pre-1986 factory machinegun that is transferable. They dont make those things anymore.

How many people turn 21 each day and dream of owning a full- auto firearms. Supplies are limited but the demand keeps on getting bigger.

Investment wise... You can not go wrong with putting your money on machineguns. I have not seen one that depreciated in value.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    You can always buy a 4-wheeled investment anytime. They still make them.
    The AC556K is a pre-1986 factory machinegun that is transferable. They dont make those things anymore.

How many people turn 21 each day and dream of owning a full- auto firearms. Supplies are limited but the demand keeps on getting bigger.

Investment wise... You can not go wrong with putting your money on machineguns. I have not seen one that depreciated in value.

well they don't make mine anymore but i'm still debating on if what i can get for her is worth the blood sweat tears and $$$ i've put in. i've accepted the fact that it isn't a monetary investment at this point plus times are changing and my interests definetly have;) thanks scar for your input, i will definetly seek you out when i go for it:thumbsup:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I would consider doing any repair work myself. I have built several semi guns up from parts kits, like FALs, AKs, Browning 1919s...etc. I have built my own receivers (AK and 1919...etc.). I have a Tig welder, sandblaster and I park my own guns. I am working on a Vickers now. No mill but I can sub that work out.

All semi auto, ATF approved and 100% legal. Most FA is easier then semi as there are a lot of times much less to go wrong. If that all fails I have my contacts and I am not worried about it. Its like anything, if you get in to it, you can work it out. I would not have the first idea of where to get a 4-wheeler fixed!

Plus what are you going to break? Most parts are just a straight up replacement. There are simple rules you must follow. You can take it to a FA dealer for repairs or file a form and sent it to anyone FA dealer in the US. Don't let that stop you. There is not a NFA gun out there that someone will not repair. The one I am getting has the barrel welded shut and to the internals and I am not really worried about it at all (dewat)!

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would consider doing any repair work myself. I have built several semi guns up from parts kits, like FALs, AKs, Browning 1919s...etc. I have built my own receivers (AK and 1919...etc.). I have a Tig welder, sandblaster and I park my own guns. I am working on a Vickers now. No mill but I can sub that work out.

Plus what are you going to break? Most parts are just a straight up replacement. There are simple rules you must follow. You can take it to a FA dealer for repairs or file a form and sent it to anyone FA dealer in the US. Don't let that stop you. There is not a NFA gun out there that someone will not repair. (dewat)!

Not every gunsmith out there has the appropriate qualifications/ papers to work on an NFA firearms. Please make sure that the 'Smith" is an SOT ( Special occupational tax holder-07) and the appropriate BATFE paperwork is filed bebore an NFA item is shipped out for repairs. Returning the items straight to the manufacturer does not require this (Example: Ruger= AC556 , Vector Arms=Uzi).

Examples of work that you cant do yourself:
    Elongated holes or broken tabs on RR m16
    Broken welds on macs and Uzis
    barrel replacement on HK, AK, M14, Thompsons Etc.
    Cracked receivers
    Broken parts.. can be as simple as a firing pin
    Worn sears
    Timing issues
    Barrel work, threading
    parts fabrication and fitting

The list goes on.

While most of us prefer to do the work ourselves, sometimes its just not feasible.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Another area in which to save money on NFA stuff is on transfer fees:

Always look for items on Form 3 ( only requires a single transfer tax)
    Items on Form 4 require 2 stamps ( Seller to dealer, dealer to buyer)( buyers are also required to pay this most of the time)
    It may be cheaper to buys from out of state as you may not have to pay " sales tax"
    (6% tax on an 18K M16 =$1080.00)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Selectfire G3? You have expensive taste in guns.

You are looking at 14-17K

Best thing to do is get a registered Sear Pack ( around 12.5K) and use that on various host guns (91, 93, 94, G3 , MP5 clones)

There are registered " Sears" and " packs", Some sears have to be married to the gun once installed. The packs can be used in multiple host firearms.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    From my limited full auto fal experience light guns plus .308 equals rapid muzzle climb, same reason the army started making m14 semi auto only.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Not every gunsmith out there has the appropriate qualifications/ papers to work on an NFA firearms.

Broken welds on macs and Uzis
    barrel replacement on HK, AK, M14, Thompsons Etc.
    Broken parts.. can be as simple as a firing pin
    Worn sears
    Barrel work, threading

While most of us prefer to do the work ourselves, sometimes its just not feasible.

Yeah no doubt on the SOT required for repair work. I thought you had pretty much covered that in a previous thread. My point was more that there is someone out there that can take care of your gun troubles and you don't need the factory to do it. There are no FAs not getting repaired!

I guess it all depends on your skill level. I would consider replacing barrels myself (Hell I have done 7 AK barrels, 2 FALs...etc). There is no way I would send the gun out for a broken firing pin. Worns sears can be replaced (as long as thats no the registered part). I have a welder and can repark a gun for bad welds... it all just depends. Some guys can do almost anything and some guys are smart to do nothing.

I would try and find something other than a HK G3 or CETME for my first FA. These are very advanced guns. I shot a FAL last time and its a hand full for someone who knows how to shoot FA. These light 308 FA guns are the hardest to shoot! If you go HK, the thing to do is that trigger pack like SCAR said. Then you can put it on a MP5, HK33...etc. Of course its not cheap!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yeah no doubt on the SOT required for repair work. I thought you had pretty much covered that in a previous thread. My point was more that there is someone out there that can take care of your gun troubles and you don't need the factory to do it. There are no FAs not getting repaired!

I guess it all depends on your skill level. I would consider replacing barrels myself (Hell I have done 7 AK barrels, 2 FALs...etc). There is no way I would send the gun out for a broken firing pin. Worns sears can be replaced (as long as thats no the registered part). I have a welder and can repark a gun for bad welds... it all just depends. Some guys can do almost anything and some guys are smart to do nothing.

I would try and find something other than a HK G3 or CETME for my first FA. These are very advanced guns. I shot a FAL last time and its a hand full for someone who knows how to shoot FA. These light 308 FA guns are the hardest to shoot! If you go HK, the thing to do is that trigger pack like SCAR said. Then you can put it on a MP5, HK33...etc. Of course its not cheap!

As far as AGC goes, is FA shooting restricted to sanctioned events of can one shoot FA there at any time? I have been thinking of joining AGC and this would be a deciding factor.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    As far as AGC goes, is FA shooting restricted to sanctioned events of can one shoot FA there at any time? I have been thinking of joining AGC and this would be a deciding factor.

For the time being its limited to our ever other weekend shoot and events. It use to be nothing... so we are quickly moving in the correct direction. You can not shoot FA anytime at this point. Maybe in the future...

Personally, I have found that the FA shoot ever other week is enough to empty my pockets of ammo money. I don't think I could afford to shoot more often. Also remember because its a special time, you are shooting with other FA guys and get to see/Shoot their guns. Its actually kind of nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom