• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    C&R goes way beyond milsurp.

Anything over 50 yrs old is on the table. I got a S&W M41 22lr target pistol made in 1959 last year, for example. Lots of cool guns, and even if you buy in MD there's no need for an HQL.

But to answer the OP's Q, "Where'd all the C&R's go?" the answer is pretty clear: Yellosled bought them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Anything over 50 yrs old is on the table. I got a S&W M41 22lr target pistol made in 1959 last year, for example. Lots of cool guns, and even if you buy in MD there's no need for an HQL.

To be very clear, Nobody needs the C&R license to be eligible for the HQL exemption.

It's the gun itself which carries the exemption, not the buyer. Also a few specific guns younger than 50 years, such as P64s and Cz 82s are also HQL exempt, because they're C&R eligible.

The exemption check off is right there on the Form 77r, where it asks for the buyer's HQL info.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    To be very clear, Nobody needs the C&R license to be eligible for the HQL exemption.

It's the gun itself which carries the exemption, not the buyer. Also a few specific guns younger than 50 years, such as P64s and Cz 82s are also HQL exempt, because they're C&R eligible.

The exemption check off is right there on the Form 77r, where it asks for the buyer's HQL info.

This is true.

Consider this: With a C&R (cost 30 bucks) you can purchase and receive through the mail/UPS/Fedex firearms delivered to your door, that Maryland doesn't know about, and that Maryland receives no tax revenue from the purchase.

It's both thumbs in Frosh's eye, and at the same time screwing him out of tax money for his frivolous lawsuits.

I tell you, it makes me feel warm and tingly inside, every time I stick it to the Free State.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d imagine they’ll still get the occasional big shipment if whatever in.

One other thing to consider is that Europe is banning most semi-auto rifles over the next year or two.

Mostly it’ll be newer stuff, but I’d imagine some older stuff too. Not sure if Century or other big importers are figuring out how to facilitiate that stuff coming in to the US.

As far as I know the the EU is leaving it to their member countries, but most are saying to get it out of the country or destroy it within X time.

68 or older can include a fair number of nice semi-auto rifles that are perfectly MD legal.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Did the C&R firearms well dry up or something?

Largely, yes. Brief history lesson: The golden age of milsurp was ~1948-1968. Effectively no limit on imports, and you could buy by mail. And everybody was discarding First and Second World War surplus. GCA '68 killed the importation, and ended the golden age.

The Silver Age of milsurp was 1986-~2006. FOPA re-opened importation of C&R milsurp arms. The end of the Cold War gave us access to a truckload of firearms from the former Soviet states and Warsaw Pact. I bought an East German Makarov in 1998...paid a whopping $180 for it. The guy had a crate of the things, and I wish I'd bought the whole thing.

These days, pickings are pretty slim. The Second World War stocks are mostly sold off. There are some possibilities...the Russians still reportedly have considerable stocks, both of Soviet WW2 arms and of captured German firearms. There are restrictions on trade with the Russians...but I've heard RUMINT that some guns were moved out of Russia, with the idea that after a certain time "cooling off" elsewhere, they can be sold here.

The other advantage to a C&R is one other people have mentioned...it's at the point where there are a significant number of postwar arms that are eligible. But you need to really know your serial numbers to keep track of the production dates.

On top of that, a C&R comes in handy when shipping firearms.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

But to answer the OP's Q, "Where'd all the C&R's go?" the answer is pretty clear: Yellosled bought them.

My favorite C&R is a Sauer and Sohn Drilling... 16x16 over 7x57R

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This is true.

Consider this: With a C&R (cost 30 bucks) you can purchase and receive through the mail/UPS/Fedex firearms delivered to your door, that Maryland doesn't know about, and that Maryland receives no tax revenue from the purchase.

It's both thumbs in Frosh's eye, and at the same time screwing him out of tax money for his frivolous lawsuits.

I tell you, it makes me feel warm and tingly inside, every time I stick it to the Free State.

^^My primary reason for the FFL03

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You should pass around some of your kool aide of restraint.

Or not. I am impatiently waiting for my FFL03 to show up to pickup an M57 and probably either a Cz50 a P64 or maybe both. Could be both if I lay off getting extra magazines for them or doing anything else. Kind of the same with the M57, but I probably will pickup at least AN extra magazine to go with.

I’ll likely lay off for a long time after that unless someone gets a big shipment of something neat in.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It was early 2003 when my C&R came in and you could easily find :
    Walther P1
    Austrian Steyr M95
    Nagant 1895 revolver
    Mosins up the wazoo, round, hex, type 53, laminated, take your pick
    Mosin Snipers (AIM)
    Swiss K31, plus other Swiss and no billboards
    Russian Capture K98K (Wideners)
    Yugo Tok
    Romanian Tok
    CZ82 (and yes, you could have the mags in MD)
    P64
    and more......

Not so much so anymore.
    Samco Global is gone and Classic is peddling the stuff purchased at auction from another party and pimping it to prices that they are not worthy to.

Oh, BTW, no longer can you trust Classic if you ever trusted them at all.
    Southern Ohio Gun is still good to go (I think) if they have ANYTHING you would want.

As said, Gun shows, Gun broker and Auctions are where the good finds are. More work than before for sure.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    My understanding is Century still has thousands of the SAMCO rifles to go through and sell. Unfortunately many of them were sold to Classic first last time. The Mosin Crate also got some of them. Not many were available for C&R Licenses to buy direct from Century. There were 8,000 Spanish Mausers alone on that SAMCO list. Most of the stuff was junk but there were some decent items as well.

There are still importable firearms in Russia and former Soviet Bloc Countries. From what I had read the sellers wanted too much for the importers to make a deal for them.

There are still plenty of non importable firearms in Russia and former Soviet Bloc Countries. SVT-40 and SKS are still cheap in Canada. Also I read and it makes sense that there are plenty of Russian Capture German Pistols, G/K43, and German MG.

In Indonesia it has been confirmed their FN-49 Rifles are sitting in storage. Brazil probably has a stockpile of FN-49 Rifles as well.

In order to get some of the Milsurp Pistols and Semi-auto Milsurps here laws will have to be changed. I and hope of that happening when Trump was elected, but no so much hope anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom