• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I'm gonna say no. I was shooting at 100 yds and in order for me to see clearly I had to take my sunglasses off push my eye deep into the lens and squint. The hassle wasn't worth it. Would not recommend. Mine was the same one from dicks

Thanks for the heads up. I got a lil antsy and grabbed it for 52 bucks. I figure even if im limited to 100 yards it's worth it for the price. After all, its only going to be for paper punching. I'll let you know if I end up returning also.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Which model was it?

I was just about to buy the barska Colorado model 20-60x60mm.
    DSG has this model on sale 50% off at 69.99. I also have 20 bucks worth of coupons that brings it to about 50 bucks. I would be maxing it out to 200 yards most of the time.
    Would this model fit the need on a tight budget?

I'm gonna say no. I was shooting at 100 yds and in order for me to see clearly I had to take my sunglasses off push my eye deep into the lens and squint. The hassle wasn't worth it. Would not recommend. Mine was the same one from dicks

Thanks for the heads up. I got a lil antsy and grabbed it for 52 bucks. I figure even if im limited to 100 yards it's worth it for the price. After all, its only going to be for paper punching. I'll let you know if I end up returning also.

Well I'm happy to report I love this spotting scope I picked up and for the money 52 bucks :party29::party29:
    I'm wondering if you got the "blackhawk" model which I also saw at dsg. I found the "Colorado" model on dsg website, when I called the store they didn't even know they had it. Ordered it online then picked it up in store the next morning.

I tried viewing with my eye pro on and I was still able to see, I will say you can get a much better picture without the eye pro on which I'm sure is the case with many spotting scopes.
    For 52 bucks I don't mind taking off my eye pro/sunglasses to get a good picture.

My son and I hiked up the 200yd range and placed 12" black bullseye splatter targets on a black backdrop. With the Iron sights all I could really see was a tiny red dot.
    From the bench using the spotting scope we were both able to see the targets very clearly along with the trail of the bullet.
    This was on the lowest setting, so I have no doubt this spotting scope will show me hits on target at 300-400yrds.

It's kind of hard to see in this pic because of the distance, but we had a white target with green human silhouette stapled up on the far left with the 12" bulls eye targets off to the right of the silhouette.

This is one of my targets with my son on the spotting scope. I hit 11 out of 15 which I was pretty happy with considering this was my first attempt at shooting from this distance.
    First few I missed all together, I hear my son "miss" x4
    "hit low x6"
    "hit right x2"
    "hit high"
    "hit left"
    "BULLS EYE"
    I went and looked through the spotting scope and sure enough hit it. One of the most fun times I have had shooting in a long time :D

I'm sure expensive spotting scopes are nice, but for punching paper this $52.00 deal is just fine for me:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I bought a Burris landmark several years ago for $200. To be fair you can see groups under good conditions at 100-300 yds. and at the time I thought that would be enough. Bottom line for me... it's not I wish I would have put that $200 toward a better optic but that's just me.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I went with a Celestron Ultima 80 (20-60x80mm) which was probably built in the same factory as the Konus. Just a guess as they look the same to me. Back when I bought mine the kits were about $140 with the tripod and cover.

You can get the Ultima 80 (angled) on Amazon for $150 prime without a tripod. Looks like there is a smaller Ultima 65 (straight) for $83 with a smaller objective but still 55x.

Ultima 65
    https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52...qid=1483149098&sr=8-6&keywords=ultima+80&th=1

Ultima 80
    https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52...qid=1483149098&sr=8-6&keywords=ultima+80&th=1

And there is also a 100mm if you search.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    They are the same. Most of Konus's stuff is made by Synta in Taiwan, the current owners of Meade and Celestron, regardless of the hype you might see on their website. Some good some not so good. Like Deadpirate says you get what you pay for in optics. If you buy Leupold, Swarovski, Kowa, Pentax, Leitz, Zeiss, Nikon, and Fujinon you get the best stuff (although Nikon makes some cheap stuff also). And you pay for it. Any decent 80-100mm spotting scope should be fine out to at least 300 yards, and if it doesn't you should send it back. But there are really good 60-65mm scopes that can do that also because they have ED glass in the optics. The problem with spotting scope eyepieces is they almost without exception (the exception is Pentax), use eyepieces with a proprietary thread mount so you have to buy theirs (Pentax uses astronomy type 1.25" mount eyepieces, but theirs are so good you would not use anything else probably). I have 2 scopes that reputedly can see .30 holes at 1000 yards. One cost $2200 when it was available new and its a 100mm ED scope. The other cost about $300 when it was new not including the eyepieces. Unfortunately it was made in Russia and the company that made it went back to making military optics. They only made civilian optics for about 20 years during Glasnost when their military business in the Warsaw pact dried up. Their astronomical scopes command hefty prices on the used market. This particular scope is a similar optic to a Meade ETX 90 or a Questar 3.5 but that is a type of optical system their founder actually invented. Only way I know that the scope can see .30 caliber holes at 1000 yards is because a couple of shooters came into the telescope dealer I worked for looking for a scope that could do that at a reasonable price and we sold them one. A few came back later and bought everyone we had left in the store at the time which I think was 4 and that was during the time they were getting ready to stop selling commercially so we never got anymore. Only reason I have one is I got it off the used market from a guy in Eldersburg. Might even have been one of those.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I just checked Craigslist and there is a 20-60x 80mm Burris Landmark for sale for $145 in Gaithersburg. I would consider that a very good deal. Also a Zeiss DiaScope 85mm for $2400. One of the best you can possibly buy (we were a Zeiss, Pentax, Celestron dealer in spotting scopes). but that price is probably what its worth and not a good deal.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Konus has really nice spotting scopes at a reasonable price. Spotters have always been kind of their niche.

Second this. I have a Konus 20x60 and paid $189 online a few years ago. Don't expect to see many holes beyond 200 with any scope under $500...we use them for high power competing and rely on seeing a disc or golf tee, not a .223 hole.

Shoot a shoot an see target if ya need a hole to look at.

Lew--Ranger63

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a Bushnell Legend HD 20-60x80 and have been very pleasantly surprised with it. The HD glass really makes a big difference. I don't think a better performer can be found for less than 500.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tro...&sr=8-1&keywords=bushnell+20-60x65&th=1&psc=1

Are you still happy with your bushnell? I found the above pictured one for 118 and I'm really thinking of jumping on it. I just need something for 100-150 yards that is decent. I'll mostly shoot reactive targets but it would be nice to look closer during a hot range

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Bushnell has a promotion now for a good rebate on their optics.. 25% IIRC.

through promotive so the discount can't apply.

If you don't buy it at $118, please let me know. I'll take it.

If this was like a side deal or something I would gladly post it but its on a specialized website only specific career paths have access to.........not trying to sound crappy. If it was like an optics planet add I would have posted it for all to see immediately.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    through promotive so the discount can't apply.

If this was like a side deal or something I would gladly post it but its on a specialized website only specific career paths have access to.........not trying to sound crappy. If it was like an optics planet add I would have posted it for all to see immediately.

Understand, but for those that cannot access the discounted websites. The Bushnell promotion is a pretty nice addition to any deal they may find elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom