• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A yearly inspection/wipe down of your firearms is a good idea. As this is the time of year where I begin that process, I thought I'd remind those of you out there who have firearms that haven't been cleaned/inspected in some time to take a look and keep them oiled/lubed. No one wants to find a firearm tucked in the back of the safe, long ago forgotten, that succumbed to the perils of poor maintenance.

Firearms have two enemies: rust and politicians. Politicians sleep; rust doesn't.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I'm designating April 2. That's the day of the wife's baby shower. I figure it'll be a nice respite before the lugging of the gifts commences.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Excellent Post!

With todays technology there is no reason you cant setup calendar reminders for your annual or bi annual inspections.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I would like to add that this should include ammo stores/inspection as well.

Had some ammo stored on a shelf next to a basement foundation wall. The original carton was not touching the wall. About an inch away. And dampness/moisture jumped that space and the cardboard absorbed it. Mild corrosion developed on some of the brass cases.

So check your ammo.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I need more days on the calendar! There is never enough time to get everything done.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Excellent Post!

With todays technology there is no reason you cant setup calendar reminders for your annual or bi annual inspections.

Yup.

I also usually take some time on "that" day to do a full inventory of my safe, my ammo counts, everything I've got. I keep a record of everything with a serial number, how many rounds of what ammo I've got, etc.

It's interesting to track from year to year how much of what ammo I've got. Some years I'll realize that I shot more than I bought of a certain caliber, which means I need to buy some, or sometimes the reverse, which always leaves me with a smile on my face.

I also make sure my records of serial numbers and the like are up to date and backed up in several places.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A recent post reminded me that I created this thread specifically as a reminder for all the busy people out there, including myself, as I didn't bump this last year.

Set up a calendar reminder and give some of those boomsticks in the back row a little love. Remember, if you love it, lube it. :D

Raina

Jun 12, 2012
    North Laurel, Maryland
    Serious question from a noob....are there any local instructors or shops who offer a hands-on walk-you-through-it class on cleaning and maintenance? I am willing to pay for this instruction. I'm not confident enough to disassemble my rifle/handgun/shotgun, clean them, then properly reassemble them just from watching a YouTube video.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Serious question from a noob....are there any local instructors or shops who offer a hands-on walk-you-through-it class on cleaning and maintenance? I am willing to pay for this instruction. I'm not confident enough to disassemble my rifle/handgun/shotgun, clean them, then properly reassemble them just from watching a YouTube video.

The cleaning and maintenance comes down to they type of firearm, type of oil/preservative used, and the type of ammunition that is used.

I can put together an individual class or a group class if you know of others interested.

My primary area of expertise is the AR15, but I was a general gunsmith for 13 years before I began AR based technical instruction.

There may be others who offer something similar, so see what others have to say about their background/experience. My training involves working on about 30k firearms. One tends to learn the best way to do things when they have to be thorough and time efficient.

May 13, 2005
    A day?? To go through everything? Holy crap.. I'm thinking if I started now I'd be done around September. ;)

Seriously though, good advice. I had a Chilean Mauser that I hadn't handled in a few years and when I finally picked it up it had surface rust on it pretty good. Surprisingly, the other Milsurps next to it didn't have any.

Raina

Jun 12, 2012
    North Laurel, Maryland
    The cleaning and maintenance comes down to they type of firearm, type of oil/preservative used, and the type of ammunition that is used.

I can put together an individual class or a group class if you know of others interested.

My primary area of expertise is the AR15, but I was a general gunsmith for 13 years before I began AR based technical instruction.

There may be others who offer something similar, so see what others have to say about their background/experience. My training involves working on about 30k firearms. One tends to learn the best way to do things when they have to be thorough and time efficient.

Yes, I would like to take an individual or group class for cleaning my AR15. I also have a shotgun and semi-auto 9mm, and don't know how to disassemble or clean those either. Gotta start somewhere - so first the AR15.

Once schedule and costs are determined, I can spread the word and try to get friends (both male and female) who would take a group class with me, however most of the friends I have in mind have a shotgun or handgun, not an AR15.

BTW - I met you and your family at the PP in Annapolis several Mondays ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom