• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Senator Ed Reilly (Phone: 410-841-3568 | 301-858-3568 | Toll-free in MD: 1-800-492-7122 ext. 3568)introduced the following:

Regarding turkey hunting - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=SB0192&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2014RS

Requiring the Department of Natural Resources to establish by regulation a fall turkey season for the portion of Anne Arundel County lying south of MD Route 214; and requiring the dates and bag limits for the fall turkey season established under the Act to be consistent with the dates and bag limits established for the fall turkey season in Allegany County, Garrett County, and Washington County.

Regarding deer hunting - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=SB0191&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2014RS

Authorizing the Department of Natural Resources to allow a person to hunt deer on a Sunday on private property in Anne Arundel County from the first Sunday in October through the second Sunday in January of the following year, inclusive, subject to specified provisions of law.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    The Sunday hunting rules are so annoying. In Harford we have a bunch of them now, but it seems so arbitrary. its time they just open it all the time

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    The Sunday hunting rules are so annoying. In Harford we have a bunch of them now, but it seems so arbitrary. its time they just open it all the time

No Sunday hunting. If they do anything to make it consistent it would be to not have Sunday hunting at all. Other people besides hunters use the outdoors and the woods for enjoyment. The inconsistency comes from trying to allow those hunters that only have Sundays available to them the ability to hunt. Most birders, hikers, etc. stay out of the woods during hunting days and leave it to the hunters. We have to share too. Use those closed Sundays to scout or some other hunting related chore but don't expect to take the time from someone else. In case you haven't noticed, we are likely to lose.

No Sunday hunting. If they do anything to make it consistent it would be to not have Sunday hunting at all. Other people besides hunters use the outdoors and the woods for enjoyment. The inconsistency comes from trying to allow those hunters that only have Sundays available to them the ability to hunt. Most birders, hikers, etc. stay out of the woods during hunting days and leave it to the hunters. We have to share too. Use those closed Sundays to scout or some other hunting related chore but don't expect to take the time from someone else. In case you haven't noticed, we are likely to lose.

I agree with you to a point,but what about the hikers and birdwatchers that use the outdoors and woods Mon. thru Sat. during hunting season?Would you say they have that right and if so why wouldn't the hunters be allowed to use it on Sun.?Hunters and fisherman pay extra to use public land (Pittman-Robertson act) pretty much irrelevant anyway since Sun. hunting is only allowed on private property.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I lean towards thinning the herd! But try horseback riding around the edge of your property in season lol some of the people don't look long before they shoot. It makes for an interesting ride. We tell the neighbors when we take kids on trail rides. But when you can count 25 deer in a group in Anne arundel that needs to be managed properly like jerky :)

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013

Everything you just described involved shooting and not hunting. And let's clarify that during a successful hunt, a hunter likely shoots 1-5 times. Meanwhile, your target shooting is likely 50 - 200 rounds.

Most birders, hikers, etc. stay out of the woods M-F during December and January because it's cold and because they are at work. Not to "leave it to the hunters." Come on, now.

Based on your argument above, outdoor target/clay shooting on Sunday should be banned immediately, right? Because we have to share, and because bullets are dangerous to hikers, right?

As for other people "using the woods," I assume you're talking about public property. That's why most of the Sunday hunting allowances are private property only. Because if someone else is "using the woods" on private property I'm hunting, I'm probably going to be upset because they are trespassing. I don't like the logic of "disallow sunday hunting because a trespasser might be inconvenienced or injured."

:innocent0

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    I lean towards thinning the herd! But try horseback riding around the edge of your property in season lol some of the people don't look long before they shoot. It makes for an interesting ride. We tell the neighbors when we take kids on trail rides. But when you can count 25 deer in a group in Anne arundel that needs to be managed properly like jerky :)

Having leased hunting land adjacent to some jumpy horse owners in the past, I've long been fascinated (honestly) with the fear of horse riders that they'll be shot because "a deer is big and brown, and so is a horse." Yet, with hundreds of thousands of riders and about 30 million hunters all sharing the woods every year, nationally there might be one accident. Yes, it should be zero, but those are pretty good odds (I'd bet that dozens of riders per year die after being thrown from their horse, for comparison).

So, I want to say "I can say why people are nervous," but statistically it just doesn't add up.

Regardless, caution is the way to proceed!

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    I agree with you to a point,but what about the hikers and birdwatchers that use the outdoors and woods Mon. thru Sat. during hunting season?Would you say they have that right and if so why wouldn't the hunters be allowed to use it on Sun.?Hunters and fisherman pay extra to use public land (Pittman-Robertson act) pretty much irrelevant anyway since Sun. hunting is only allowed on private property.

Actually, in many cases, hunters and anglers are the ONLY ones who pay for that land - those purchase monies are rarely ever part of DNR's allocation from the state general budget. Yet, birdwatchers can access it 365 days per year for free. Statistically speaking, they are safe doing so, even with hunters directly overhead or across the creek.

I've had people's dogs run up to me while turkey hunting, had them bark at me in a treestand while on public land, and many, many times have had kayakers come paddle over to our duck decoys because they think the ducks are real (and don't see the duck blind). No arguments are had, and everybody moves on with their day. The vast majority (99.999% acc. to statistics) of hunters are not going to see something move and pull the trigger before identifying it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Having leased hunting land adjacent to some jumpy horse owners in the past, I've long been fascinated (honestly) with the fear of horse riders that they'll be shot because "a deer is big and brown, and so is a horse." Yet, with hundreds of thousands of riders and about 30 million hunters all sharing the woods every year, nationally there might be one accident. Yes, it should be zero, but those are pretty good odds (I'd bet that dozens of riders per year die after being thrown from their horse, for comparison).

So, I want to say "I can say why people are nervous," but statistically it just doesn't add up.

Regardless, caution is the way to proceed!

It is actually about spooking the horse and having the kids fall off and the $10k + horse running out into the woods rather than ... being shot.

I never thought of actually being shot on horseback though, you are correct, fascinating.
    Was it Dick Cheney who accidentally shot a fellow hunter, and he wasn't on a horse, again fascinating.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    It is actually about spooking the horse and having the kids fall off and the $10k + horse running out into the woods rather than ... being shot.

I never thought of actually being shot on horseback though, you are correct, fascinating.
    Was it Dick Cheney who accidentally shot a fellow hunter, and he wasn't on a horse, again fascinating.

Ha. Cheney. Being shot is somewhere around the #4 most likely causes of death while hunting, FWIW. Delve into that and you see that the most likely person you are to shoot is yourself (by a wide margin), followed by a member of your hunting party (Cheney style), followed by a hunter who is NOT in your hunting party, followed by a non-hunter.

The statistical chance of that last one is less than one in a million. Chance of dying by being thrown off horse for any reason? About one in five thousand. Chance of dying via french fries, beer, and cigarettes? About four in ten!

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Its private property only....no one better be birding on my property. Im not hunting on theirs

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Right now MD only allows private property on Sundays. There should be no date restrictions. Public is a different story.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So I shoudnt be allowed to participate in a legal activity on my property on an arbitrary day because you can do something on yours whenever you want. Seems logical.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    And fyi, most Sundays in deer season fall during the archery portion. If your horse on your property is spooked by a bowstring release on another property...maybe you shouldnt be riding it in the woods anyway

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Go to Canada hunt on Sunday; go out west hunt on Sunday. This is a leftover from years of old (blue laws). They opened the shopping centers (before there were malls) but did not address hunting.

Birders want to see birds, they can look at the dead ones on the porch rail after we have shot our limit!!!

Having duck and goose end on the same day would be helpful also.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom