• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'm in the market for a 1911 and I'm trying to figure out which one? Ive read all the reviews and other forums but it is a lot to take in. Looking to spend under 1k for a railed gun. My chooses are Taurus or Sig. Any opinions out there?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I know - way way to many 1911s even under $1K.

I can tell u what I have but I am not a 1911 collector and tend to pick up guns that are priced well below MSRP - I am a bargain shopper.

MY favorite is my 1. STI Spartan V 9mm (purists say only 45 acp) - entry level STI - $600-700 range. Super quality - great shooter.

2. TAURUS PT 1911 .45 ACP SS W/RAIL - same price range excellent fit/finish lots of features - 8 day wait - only got to fondle it.

3. 1911 like Colt/Umarex with rail in 22LR - good fit/finish-great shooter/shoots any brand ammo $300-400 price range.

For the money the Remington 1911 looks sweet in $600-700 price range.

You should get allot of and better inputs than mine, since this forum has several 1911 collectors.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Between just those two, I'd say Sig. But for a railed gun, I'd recommend finding a Springfield Operator. You should be able to find a basic one right on the edge of your budget.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'm not a collector so I am also looking for a gun that I can shoot and not sit in the safe. If I have a gun I shoot it. That being said I might have to stop by and check out that R1

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I just took possession of a Sig 1911 Tacops last Wednesday. Paid $999 for it on gunbroker in mid June. Could have gotten the Carry version for $750.

First 1911 I have ever owned. Took it apart this weekend. Man, not quite like taking down the Beretta PX4 Storm, Sig P226, Sig P220, or HK USP. With that said, I do look forward to shooting this thing soon. Looking into a progressive metallic reloader right now and components for all the new purchases.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Granted some of them are race guns with more money put in to them than the gun costs, but if you ever wondered about the quality of a Taurus 1911 google "Jessie Duff Taurus 1911". Haven't shot one myself, but it seems like Taurus has really upped it's quality as of late and is a pretty good bargain all things considered.

That being said, I'd also consider "Colt"... something about having a descendant of the original.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The Ruger SR1911 would be a great choice as well. I have one and I love it.

Did not think the Ruger SR1911 had an option for a rail. Believe that was one of the OP's requirements. It was also mine. I really wanted to Colt 1911 Government model with a rail but that thing was selling for $1,300+ and it was rarely on gunbroker. The Sig 1911 Tacops was on gunbroker all the time for around $1,000.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    The fact that you bought it in June and took possession last Wed, I'm guessing 8th day release?

Photos! Nothing helps the OP like seeing some HQ Photos!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The fact that you bought it in June and took possession last Wed, I'm guessing 8th day release?

Photos! Nothing helps the OP like seeing some HQ Photos!

Yeah, my FFL is following a pre ND release 7 days after the paperwork has been submitted to MSP. He doesn't release precisely on the 8th day, but he releases well before the ND comes back from MSP.

This is what I picked up last Wednesday. My first .45 ACP handguns.

Attachments

• MDshooters1.jpg
      MDshooters1.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 395
    • MDshooters2.jpg
      MDshooters2.jpg
      124.9 KB · Views: 387

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Yeah, my FFL is following a pre ND release 7 days after the paperwork has been submitted to MSP. He doesn't release precisely on the 8th day, but he releases well before the ND comes back from MSP.

This is what I picked up last Wednesday. My first .45 ACP handguns.

Nice. I'm still waiting for my sig tac ops to be released. Mine came with 3 mags and the holster. I find it funny that after 10/1, really the only handguns in MD you will be able to by with the default mag are 1911s. Outside of them, revolvers and compacts are the only handguns I know of that automatically have 10 round mags.

I find it ironic too. I'd imagine the criminals our Gov wants to cater too would much rather be hit with multiple 9MM rounds than one shot from a 1911 or revolver. Shot placement aside, a 45 is going to hurt badly anywhere it lands.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Nice. I'm still waiting for my sig tac ops to be released. Mine came with 3 mags and the holster. I find it funny that after 10/1, really the only handguns in MD you will be able to by with the default mag are 1911s. Outside of them, revolvers and compacts are the only handguns I know of that automatically have 10 round mags.

I find it ironic too. I'd imagine the criminals our Gov wants to cater too would much rather be hit with multiple 9MM rounds than one shot from a 1911 or revolver. Shot placement aside, a 45 is going to hurt badly anywhere it lands.

I picked up my Sig P226 Tacops in .40 S&W the Thursday before Father's Day. What I got for Father's Day makes the pic above look like nothing.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks for all the input! I have a birthday coming up so I wanted to treat myself to something I really want instead of something I need. I would also like to buy From a dealer that will releases on the 8 day or reasonably close to that. I just need to go out and put my hands on some.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't know about the single stack Paras, but the double stack Paras used to be a b***h for a gunsmith to work on. Nothing was straight to easily clamp for milling.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Anyone seen any nice 9mm full size or 4in 1911s recently? Not sure why but I've been itching to either get or try to build one lately. Unfortunately I dont have a fortune to spend.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Anyone seen any nice 9mm full size or 4in 1911s recently? Not sure why but I've been itching to either get or try to build one lately. Unfortunately I dont have a fortune to spend.
    Haven't been looking- but my 9mm Springfield Armory target loaded full size 1911 is my go to when I want to hit what I'm aiming at. It's a lovely shooter, and I couldn't recommend it more. The combination of balance, weight, felt recoil and comfort, it makes shooting feel as nice as a supple, eh you get the point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom