• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Instead of going to gun shows and gun stores in other states looking for particular magazines, I was considering just getting a small PO box in a neighboring state and having magazines shipped to that. Has anyone done this?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You still have to travel out of state to get to the PO BOX to retrieve items. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to drive and buy from the local gun store or gunshow outside the "Free State"?

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lots of gun shops would be happy to place an order for you if you needed something in particular.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Just playing devil's advocate: doesn't the law specify "Purchase" as well?

Would you not have to put your CC/billing address as the P.O. box as well?

I use to have my magazines shipped to family In Georgia and pick it up when i visit. I always used my Maryland address for billing and never had an issue.

Funkstown, MD has no USPS home delivery. We all have PO boxes. I've found that gun part companies usually will not ship or send to a USPS box. I have to give my home address and catch crap from post office employees about having to figure out what box they have to use. Usually it means my package is lying on a table in the back while everything else is put in PO boxes until they look up my name and address.

dplay

Mar 27, 2016
    A.A. co. north
    I use to have my magazines shipped to family In Georgia and pick it up when i visit. I always used my Maryland address for billing and never had an issue.

I have done the same. Cheaperthandirt.com has no problem shipping to a free state even if the billing address is behind the iron curtain.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    UPS Store charges $5 per package if you don't rent a box from them. They will call when your package comes in. (Call them first.)

Good method for occasional purchases, online deals, etc. This way you can order what you want, when you want it, instead of hoping to find an obscure magazine at a gun show.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Some places will ship to an out of state PO box provided that they allow shipping to an address not associated with a credit card. Those ones that don't allow that are just protecting themselves from possible fraud so don't take it personally. I had a PO box in WV for about 3 years before I moved. Some would ship to it and some would not. There is generally some dealer willing to ship the item you want you just have to discover who and buy from them. For rimfire stuff Rimfire Sports and Custom in VA will ship to a non-MD address. For centerfire stuff 44Mag.com will ship to a PO box.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Instead of going to gun shows and gun stores in other states looking for particular magazines, I was considering just getting a small PO box in a neighboring state and having magazines shipped to that. Has anyone done this?
    Yes, I have them in multiple states for business.
    Not sure if most places will ship to a P.O. box.
    USPS has street addressing available now at most post offices. You can receive Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS mail using a real street address for your PO Box.

Make sure you aren't carrying a gun when you go in to pick up though. ;)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Just playing devil's advocate: doesn't the law specify "Purchase" as well?

Would you not have to put your CC/billing address as the P.O. box as well?

Make your purchase when you are out of state from your smart phone. You can even do this in DC just to stick it to THE MAN.
    Billing address is only an issue at some vendors. Most don't care. You can temporarily change your billing address if necessary and then change back. I have never had an issue.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You still have to travel out of state to get to the PO BOX to retrieve items. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to drive and buy from the local gun store or gunshow outside the "Free State"?
    Not necessarily. There are some smoking cheap deals that are internet only.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Funkstown, MD has no USPS home delivery. We all have PO boxes. I've found that gun part companies usually will not ship or send to a USPS box. I have to give my home address and catch crap from post office employees about having to figure out what box they have to use. Usually it means my package is lying on a table in the back while everything else is put in PO boxes until they look up my name and address.

Set your ship-to address to Hairball Box123?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

UPS Store charges $5 per package if you don't rent a box from them. They will call when your package comes in. (Call them first.)

Good method for occasional purchases, online deals, etc. This way you can order what you want, when you want it, instead of hoping to find an obscure magazine at a gun show.

I've done this.
    Place order online, using "Threeband/ care of UPS Store Shrewsbury/ note phone number". Then I called the UPS Store and said "A package is coming!" They said, "Okay, we'll call you when it arrives. Five Bucks." Then I simply drove up next weekend, one trip, five bucks, got exactly what I wanted with no running around.

How many places can I be 100% certain will have MecGar Browning HiPower magazines in stock? At a reasonable price? I know Gun Bunker will rip off Marylanders (he wanted $40 for a beat up used AK mag.) So I order what I want. Shrewsbury is the very first exit into Pennsylvania, and the UPS Store is about 1/4 mile from the interstate.

It's just so easy and straightforward...

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have done the same. Cheaperthandirt.com has no problem shipping to a free state even if the billing address is behind the iron curtain.

Not personal... But, You will find that... that name is a foul stench and considered to be a curse word in these parts. And they earned every bit of the anger and negative opinion aimed at them... by treating us all the way they did after the Newtown shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom