• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I had a plan to build a 1911 for myself one day using a Caspian frame and slide, but I noticed they have Foster frames on the Caspian website. They advertise these as similar to Caspian frames, but with cosmetic blemishes. Has anyone here built a gun using a Foster frame and slide and willing to share experiences with Foster?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have used several. They will be spot on machine wise. Cosmetically, myself and several others will say you may be hard pressed to find the blemishs. You may also be in for some additional exterior clean up and blending.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I’ve had the chance to inspect a lot of Fosters at the Caspian booth at Camp Perry and most of them look really good, but a few of them won’t work depending on your application. Maybe you can call them and let them know what you intend to use the frame for? They are really great people.

A good place to buy Caspian frames is Brownells using their very liberal and inclusive “dealer” discount (C&R, military, LEO, etc). They end up costing about the same as Foster frames.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info. The gun won't be used in any matches, just shooting for fun, but primarily to let me build a 1911.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Foster frames are good stuff for the money in my experience, particularly for a first build. The price is great...I bought three of them at Camp Perry a few years ago for $75 each. The flaws were tiny pinholes in the trigger opening. The company rep had to point them out to me...wouldn't have seen them on my own. I ended up using my mill to open up the trigger channel for a Gold Cup trigger which removed the flaws.

Have seen other Foster parts that didn't pass hardness testing.

FWIW my first build I ended up with a slide-frame fit that was a little loose so that frame became a dedicated lower for my Marvel conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom