• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    History

SCAR - was designed and is sold by FN Herstal, a well-established firearms manufacturer that has produced weapons for militaries all over the world, including M16s for US military use.

ACR - was designed by Magpul (a company that makes "tacti-cool" plastic parts for the AR15.com community and magazines that look awesome but don't work in half of the USGI firearms out there) and is sold by Bushmaster, a mediocre civilian firearms manufacturer with suspect quality.

Winner- SCAR

Testing

SCAR - was the only rifle to pass the "SCAR test", a military test designed to gauge the reliability of rifles in harsh climates, such as desert sand.

ACR - looked totally badass when Mack tested it at the Futureweapons range on Discovery Channel.

Winner- SCAR

Military Use

SCAR - Is used by military units including US SOCOM

ACR - is used by the British SAS in Activision's "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2"

Winner- SCAR

AR15.com "Street Cred"

SCAR - an awesome rifle, but will only get you recognition on the "Armory" subforum.

ACR - allows you to show your undying love for an ARFCOM sponsor and gain universal acceptance among Magpul fanatics

Winner- ACR

:innocent0

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Colt no longer owns the technical data package for the M4, the US Government does which is why you now see the Government soliciting industry for improvements to the current platform as well as an improved carbine. I think all the other questions were answered fairly accurately. Do not confuse contracts let by Federal agencies, like DEA with RRA and LWRCI, with DA contracts for weapon systems. Their requirements determination process and test and evaluation standards are not even close to DA standards. Same goes for QC after contract award.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    trying to keep this on track. Lots of good info from several people.

Thanks for the detailed write up from each of you.

Take what you will from each person's opinion and use it as you will.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I will add that after cleaning both rifles I did notice one thing that bugged me. The Scar has what looks like a chrome coated bolt face, the ACR does not. I'm sure ACR bolt has a Melonite coating but I have no idea how it's going to hold up.

DomiNATE

Trololol
    Jun 10, 2009
    Howard County
    A common complaint with the SCAR is the hooded front sight.

I have a SCAR, what's wrong with hooded front sight?

The design of the SCAR’s ambidextrous charging handle makes an ambidextrous bolt release an unnecessary additional control. Don’t think of controls in terms of the AR system- it is a different weapon system.

That comment doesn't make sense, Decoy is a left handed shooter so having the charging handle on the right side + the bolt release on the right side is actually a great benefit for him in terms of speed. He can keep his right hand closer to the mag well or hand guard (which every he prefers to shoot from) so he doesn't have to hit the charging handle like he would an M14.

Decoy's review was on the guns in front of him, not the military models/versions and not on their research and development times.

Stealth Pants

Nov 19, 2009
    Excellent review but you cut out the part where you shot my sgl21 for random comparison purposes then procedeed to try and trade me your acr AND scar of which I had to respectfully decline multiple times.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I have a SCAR, what's wrong with hooded front sight?

That comment doesn't make sense, Decoy is a left handed shooter so having the charging handle on the right side + the bolt release on the right side is actually a great benefit for him in terms of speed. He can keep his right hand closer to the mag well or hand guard (which every he prefers to shoot from) so he doesn't have to hit the charging handle like he would an M14.

Decoy's review was on the guns in front of him, not the military models/versions and not on their research and development times.

Ok, you schooled me. I have a SCAR too. I saw a guy use a magwell grip on a SCAR once....didn't turn out too well for his thumb. It is a training deficiency as well. What is faster? Smacking a charging handle mounted forward or reaching back for a small button on the receiver? This isn't an AR where you have to really come out of the gun to function the action. As for the hooded front sight, that has been a complaint from the field probably because it is harder to make front sight adjustments.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Excellent review but you cut out the part where you shot my sgl21 for random comparison purposes then procedeed to try and trade me your acr AND scar of which I had to respectfully decline multiple times.

:lol2:

shhhhhh! You'll blow my cover!

DomiNATE

Trololol
    Jun 10, 2009
    Howard County
    Ok, you schooled me. I have a SCAR too. I saw a guy use a magwell grip on a SCAR once....didn't turn out too well for his thumb. It is a training deficiency as well. What is faster? Smacking a charging handle mounted forward or reaching back for a small button on the receiver? This isn't an AR where you have to really come out of the gun to function the action. As for the hooded front sight, that has been a complaint from the field probably because it is harder to make front sight adjustments.

I hear ya, I've been popped by the charging handle once. I see what you're saying about not being necessary but I think it is more convenient to have a button on both sides. Not a great comparison but the SEI extended bolt stop is probably more preferable to have then not have since it creates a left sided bolt release. Pushing a button just seems simpler.
    I see how that could be with the front sight, I thought you might say something about how it moves back and forth slightly when it is deployed upright (At least with mine) it doesn't lock up completely tight when it is in use, it's got a little play.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Should of posted before but here is 3 of 4 videos breaking down points of strengths and weaknesses of both rifles.

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYNlGHjZxnY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2VEheoz7NE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ipQFO0h6c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video 4: range test in about a few days to a weak. If you have time to watch there is a lot of information.

Good info, thanks :thumbsup:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Great review but you lost me after this:

I can easily get 3 Arsenal AK's for that amount of mullah.

Not even worth comparing, seriously, unless the distance is 50 yards or less. At 50 yards or less, even a 6 MOA AK will hit it's target pretty reliably.

The AK, as much as I like them, is far less accurate and the quality overall isn't even in the same ball park. Does the AK have legendary reliability, yes, does it have legendary accuracy, no.

I believe that there is a reason that we don't lose more guys in the field to the enemy running around with AK's. The first reason training and marksmanship and the second reason is the accuracy of American combat rifles, perhaps I am wrong but the anecdotal evidence points to those two reasons.

Mark

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Not even worth comparing, seriously, unless the distance is 50 yards or less. At 50 yards or less, even a 6 MOA AK will hit it's target pretty reliably.

The AK, as much as I like them, is far less accurate and the quality overall isn't even in the same ball park. Does the AK have legendary reliability, yes, does it have legendary accuracy, no.

I believe that there is a reason that we don't lose more guys in the field to the enemy running around with AK's. The first reason training and marksmanship and the second reason is the accuracy of American combat rifles, perhaps I am wrong but the anecdotal evidence points to those two reasons.

Mark

We live on the east coast. Trees, foliage, structures, etc. 100-200yds capability is good enough for all your defensive needs. At that range the punch of the 7.62x39 will knock anyone on their ass. So the difference between 1 MOA and 2-3 MOA is negligible.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    We live on the east coast. Trees, foliage, structures, etc. 100-200yds capability is good enough for all your defensive needs. At that range the punch of the 7.62x39 will knock anyone on their ass. So the difference between 1 MOA and 2-3 MOA is negligible.

Most cheap AK's are typically 4 MOA rifles at best. They are rarely anywhere near 2 MOA. 6-10 inches at 200 yards is quite of bit of spread... Where as 4 inches at 200 yards is much more palatable (most AR's can do close to 2 MOA). If a person is presenting a relatively small profile to shoot at, you better be good with those iron sights on the AK-47 (with it's relatively short sight radius). Remember, you're not target shooting in a defensive situation, so if you can't shoot perfectly to begin with the inherent inaccuracy in the rifle is likely to make the situation worse, not better.

I am not knocking the 7.62x39, it's a good round and certainly something I would never want to get hit with... but I would take one SCAR-17S over 5 AK 47's any day of the week, I have enough trouble firing one AK in each hand. Don't get me wrong, I understand that the AK is a usable weapon, I am not saying that it isn't.... What I am saying is that you ARE paying for capability that simply doesn't exist in the AK-47 series of rifles.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom