• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    No response from the gov or his staff for over a year. Like I said, “lesser of the evils”. I will not throw my vote away in angst rather keep him than the worse option

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    So exactly how many rights has Hogan given away in his first term, I can't think of one. He has done about as well as can be expected with the legislature stacked against him. I'm really hoping he gets a second term and the legislature flips enough seats to give his vetoes some clout, until then all his vetoes will continue to be overridden.
    I shudder to think of any of the wackjobs running for Governor on the democrat side winning the election, we will be in a whole world of hurt,both 2A and quality of life, taxes etc.

This is dead on balls accurate. Maryland isn't some conservative stronghold, it's one of the most liberal states in the union. We were damned lucky to get a Republican governor in office, and it only took the Democrats repeatedly stepping on their peckers to get it done. I don't think Hogan is anyone's idea of an actual conservative (to say nothing of a libertarian), but in Maryland, it's what we could do in 2014.

Did that question get asked of hogan when he noted for his dad instead of trump? Was hogan fine with Hillary?

Just like hogan apparently didn’t care if we got hillary when he voted for his dad ......

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

So your good with him taking some of your rights this year then?

What a shame that Hogan's presidential vote was the difference between Hillary winning/losing the state.

Scratch that. Hillary won by 625,000 votes. Trump only managed 873,000. It was a LANDSLIDE. Also, in case you were wondering, you'd have to add up all the votes that Jill Stein and Gary Johnson received (others were not counted as they weren't on the ballot) and multiply by at least 6 to come within earshot of the margin of victory. It wasn't close.

Hillary won Maryland the moment she filed for election here.

If hogan doesn’t grow a set I will vote for my dad.

I have been pretty adamant about that

Now are you ok with hogan taking away your rights and if so how many?

Answer the question, that’s all I am asking.

You roast Hogan for throwing his vote away, then proudly claim that you will do the same, in an election that matters and will have a small margin of victory? Ugh.

So what do you do if hogan doesn’t veto or signs the bumpstock bill if it gets to his desk?

Behold the crux of the matter. This is a game changer. I have said before in emails and social media posts to the governor's office and his campaign page that anything short of a veto of gun control legislation that comes to his desk will in fact cost him my vote.

It's very much one thing to settle for the best you can get as governor when fighting a hostile electorate and a legislature that has been eager to cripple him for November 2018 since the moment he won last time around, but it is another entirely to cast a vote for someone who won't actively oppose what would only be the latest attempt to curtail our birthrights. No.

Let the veto get overridden by the next MGA (if they have the numbers to do so). But don't let something go down without a fight. If gun control passes and Hogan doesn't veto it, he can kiss the fattest, hairiest part of my ass. At that point, he's no better than those that voted for it in either chamber.

What's disheartening is that, even if something like that should come to pass, he's STILL better than whatever Communist comes out of the Democratic primary. But he wouldn't be worthy of my vote.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    :thumbsup:

You're… not only handsome, but a powerful man. I could see the second you walked in here, you were someone to reckon with…

fhd990PMN_Richard_Gere_014.jpg

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    For those who think this law would be unconstitutional, why? In kolbe the court held that if it was to apply a standard of scrutiny that would be intermediate, menaing all the state has to show is the law furthurs an 8mportsnt govt interest ( safety...and in the 7th cir, the ct held the appearance of safety was the bar the city of oak brook needed to jump). A taking without pay for public use? No. You are free to sell these in other states. If it doesn’t get defeated, or vetoed, forget the courts. They will not help. They do not want to help, at least not the appellate ct snd not, for sure, some of the district ct judges.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If banning machine guns is constitutional, banning bump stocks is too. Not only that, Heller specifically mentioned M16 and machine gun restrictions are preemptively constitutional.

Hughes amendment is a fight for another day. People are simply not ready for widespread machine gun ownership. Shit, right now we are back to discussing bans on semi auto EBRs. A lot of Republicans would still support the Hughes amendment. And after Las Vegas, you are fool to want to fight this now. We cannot even get national carry reciprocity out of the Senate. Trying to die for bump stocks will only mean gun control advances further in 2019. Bump stocks are not a voting issue to latch on to. Some pawns simply need to be sacrificed to win.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If banning machine guns is constitutional, banning bump stocks is too. Not only that, Heller specifically mentioned M16 and machine gun restrictions are preemptively constitutional.

Hughes amendment is a fight for another day. People are simply not ready for widespread machine gun ownership. Shit, right now we are back to discussing bans on semi auto EBRs. A lot of Republicans would still support the Hughes amendment. And after Las Vegas, you are fool to want to fight this now. We cannot even get national carry reciprocity out of the Senate. Trying to die for bump stocks will only mean gun control advances further in 2019. Bump stocks are not a voting issue to latch on to. Some pawns simply need to be sacrificed to win.
    Bump stocks would not fall under the protection of 2A. They are not forearms or necessary formtheir use, like magazines. A point in the first CoA Klbe decision. No one is touching machineguns for their constituionality of severe regualtion. That was decided in miller in 1939 and the heller court was in accord. That’s on the done pile. The fight now is semi autos and mags over 10.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    So your ok with hogan giving away your rights?

Exactly how many of your rights is it ok for him to give away?

Bumpstocks and trigger devices are the first step to doing away with magazine fed semi autos, and everyone with a little foresight knows it. And it’s every antis wet dream. So let’s start there. Is it ok for hogan to give away your rights to inanimate objects such as bumpstocks?

What if you knew that half of the reason for such a push on nonsense bills, was to put Hogan in this position. As he vetos he is playing into the Libtard game. They use his veto against him.

Just so you know the game.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    This is dead on balls accurate. Maryland isn't some conservative stronghold, it's one of the most liberal states in the union. We were damned lucky to get a Republican governor in office, and it only took the Democrats repeatedly stepping on their peckers to get it done. I don't think Hogan is anyone's idea of an actual conservative (to say nothing of a libertarian), but in Maryland, it's what we could do in 2014.

What a shame that Hogan's presidential vote was the difference between Hillary winning/losing the state.

Scratch that. Hillary won by 625,000 votes. Trump only managed 873,000. It was a LANDSLIDE. Also, in case you were wondering, you'd have to add up all the votes that Jill Stein and Gary Johnson received (others were not counted as they weren't on the ballot) and multiply by at least 6 to come within earshot of the margin of victory. It wasn't close.

Hillary won Maryland the moment she filed for election here.

You roast Hogan for throwing his vote away, then proudly claim that you will do the same, in an election that matters and will have a small margin of victory? Ugh

Behold the crux of the matter. This is a game changer. I have said before in emails and social media posts to the governor's office and his campaign page that anything short of a veto of gun control legislation that comes to his desk will in fact cost him my vote.

It's very much one thing to settle for the best you can get as governor when fighting a hostile electorate and a legislature that has been eager to cripple him for November 2018 since the moment he won last time around, but it is another entirely to cast a vote for someone who won't actively oppose what would only be the latest attempt to curtail our birthrights. No.

Let the veto get overridden by the next MGA (if they have the numbers to do so). But don't let something go down without a fight. If gun control passes and Hogan doesn't veto it, he can kiss the fattest, hairiest part of my ass. At that point, he's no better than those that voted for it in either chamber.

What's disheartening is that, even if something like that should come to pass, he's STILL better than whatever Communist comes out of the Democratic primary. But he wouldn't be worthy of my vote.

folks here keep telling me we are in such a minority that we couldn't elect a dog catcher, but I think every vote counts every time so hogans vote counted for his dad as will mine for my dad just the same. I don't want to do it but I have a high set of morals. its as simple as that. I have seen a lot of folks here who wont be voting Hogan for many reasons. just like them I have mine. the difference is all Hogan has to do is say something, anything pro 2a but he doesn't. and I turned the tv on the other night and saw him say he will sign the bumpstock ban, and he seemed please with himself when he said it.

it is disheartening. I know whats going to happen. but I have to vote my conscience.

and once the mga gets the bumpstock ban in place they will be full throttle on getting rid of semi autos. the bumpstock ban is just their first step and anyone watching knows it.

and if they by chance get the mag limits changed to 10 then next year it will be 7 and from there who knows what they will do.

I will say you present this argument very well and respectfully and I thank you for that.

maybe Hogan will change his mind and speak up about the 2a and not sign any gun bills sent to him and then I could see my way clear to vote for him so heres hoping for that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Bump stocks would not fall under the protection of 2A. They are not forearms or necessary formtheir use, like magazines. A point in the first CoA Klbe decision. No one is touching machineguns for their constituionality of severe regualtion. That was decided in miller in 1939 and the heller court was in accord. That’s on the done pile. The fight now is semi autos and mags over 10.

Yes they would. Heller did not say "ban", it said regulations. Strictly speaking, 2A protects all weapons in common use. The defense department has spent the last 30 years handing out M4s to every campus cop who fills in the paperwork for surplus items. So they are in common use. An outright ban will not survive strict scrutiny. Some type of specialized training can probably be required. Heck most ranges including AGC require you to demonstrate muzzle control. All we are really talking here is to re-open the NFA registry.

That said, we are a very very very long way from that. Its a fight for another day. Right now, we need to first get pro 2A Supreme Court justices appointed and make sure we hold the line as much as possible in MD.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    What if you knew that half of the reason for such a push on nonsense bills, was to put Hogan in this position. As he vetos he is playing into the Libtard game. They use his veto against him.

Just so you know the game.

I understand the game quite well. but my rights are still not negotiable.

if he sells my rights for votes I will never be able to vote for him.

others who's rights are for sale can think anyway they want. this is still a free country , until politicians finally get around to selling all our rights and we have none.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    44man

1. Hogan told the media he voted for his dad. I’m not so sure. His vote is his business and saying he voted for his dad shut them up.

2. I see Hogan between a rock and a hard place and not selling, or taking away my rights. THAT falls in the lap of Maryland Democrats.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    For some people here the, ahem , "outrage" at Hogan is selective.

Some people here said "if the choice is trump or any democrap, well trump it is " ... when Trump had in the past supported an assault weapons and waiting periods.

Selective memory is a strange thing.

Put differently: he who is without sin (on Trump) can cast some stones at Hogan. Otherwise, get your ass in gear.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    44man

1. Hogan told the media he voted for his dad. I’m not so sure. His vote is his business and saying he voted for his dad shut them up.

2. I see Hogan between a rock and a hard place and not selling, or taking away my rights. THAT falls in the lap of Maryland Democrats.

Hogan has a choice of whether to sign , not sign or veto bills brought to his desk. if he signs any anti gun bill he is selling OUR rights for votes. unless he signs them and really is anti gun which would mean he agrees with the bills. the only way he would be supporting our rights would be to veto any such anti 2a legislation and explain why.

many times in my life I have been between a rock and a hard place. I have been asked to lie and to cheat for money. my lawyer told me once that all I had to do was lie and someone who was suing me would have to pay me. in every case I chose to do the right thing. to tell the truth, to stand up for what I believe in, not to hurt others just to save some money. lifes a hard road. and when its over all a man has to take to his grave is his reputation. I wont tarnish mine and I expect the same from others. so if Hogan wants votes from folks like me and from the hard right he has to stand up and do the right thing, unless of coarse he agrees with the antis and he is doing what he thinks is right.

and yep, dems play hardball. Hogan should veto every bill they send him, they cant over ride his veto for another session anyway so at least he would get his way for a little while.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland is Maryland.

Our votes while counted , are 99% of time without effect ( 100% in certain jurisdictions .

Maryland is Maryland.

A Governor that does nothing at all regarding 2A IS a victory for us , and worthy of our support.

Gov Hogan hasn"t done anything actively against us . YET.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom