• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    What a great video, l like how straight the empty hull is on recoil before its captured and the position of the new one is nearly in line with the bore before it goes into battery. Then the empty is returned to the same way it was inserted into the magazine once clear of the ejection port. What a work of art.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Side note, the Japanese guns have stronger barrels than the Belgian guns so steel shot can be an issue with the older Belgian A5s. The Japanese guns all have removable chokes which I prefer to a fixed choke. A lot of Belgian guns are fixed. Someone had a model 11 for sale on here a little while ago (OP) maybe you could buy that one?

I didn't know that! And here I've been hanging my head low because I didn't have a Belgian made Auto 5.
    Seriously, my Miroku Auto 5 has been a fabulous shotgun; as have all my Japanese made Brownings.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The 878 is a criminally underrated shotgun. I have a 1959 model and it is the smoothest semi auto 12 gauge I have ever shot.

Yes, completely and utterly underrated. The moving of the piston to the exterior of the magazine tube in the 1100 gave that particular gun a greater magazine capacity, but at the cost of comfort and followup accuracy IMHO. I find the smaller/lighter reciprocating mass in the 878 combined with the longer "throw" caused by having the piston located at the very front of the mag tube soaks up a lot more of the recoil and puts everything in a straight line allowing for better followup shots. I think nothing of putting 100+ rounds through my old Montgomery Ward labeled 878 on the sporting clays course as my arms will wear out from holding the gun up well before my shoulder starts hurting.

I was lucky enough to find a "new-old-stock" piston assembly for mine so I can keep it shooting for decades to come. My current assembly is still in decent shape, but with some minor wear developing on the outside edge of the seal.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    Having both the Remington Model 11 and Browning A5, I am definitely a fan of how they shoot.

15541362_10157860987410585_6844849457061429504_n.jpg

15541548_10157887319555585_1051295652042474640_n.jpg

13087536_10156831661535585_9124996283628130054_n.jpg

I too have both, a 1942 vintage Model 11 and a 1989 Auto 5. I love them. I equipped the Model 11 with rifle sights and use it for local 3-gun matches. With the extended mag, it is 10+1.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    FYI ALL the Belgian A5s have fixed chokes except for those with polychokes or those with aftermarket tubes. SOME of the eary Japanese guns had fixed chokes....at least until 86 or 87.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    This spring I picked up a 1964 A5 20 ga, 28 inch full choke. I've been using it for 16 yard trap and it just smokes targets. Then by chance this summer I found a 1974 20 ga model 37 with similar set up and it is a shooter, too. Guess the point of this post is that the 20 gauge models are out there. Found the guns in different states, in small mom and pop gun stores just sitting on the used gun rack. Both look like new.

Side note, the Japanese guns have stronger barrels than the Belgian guns so steel shot can be an issue with the older Belgian A5s. The Japanese guns all have removable chokes which I prefer to a fixed choke. A lot of Belgian guns are fixed. Someone had a model 11 for sale on here a little while ago (OP) maybe you could buy that one?

Not true

FYI ALL the Belgian A5s have fixed chokes except for those with polychokes or those with aftermarket tubes. SOME of the eary Japanese guns had fixed chokes....at least until 86 or 87.

True.
    I own a Miroku made Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve with a fixed choke (modified) barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom