• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    Thanks for all of the the replies. The holes were created because we had a leak 3 days after moving in last year caused by a clogged main and a cracked cast iron vent pipe (replaced with PVC) closest to the sliding door. We had a home warranty so a hack plumber came out and took three attempts to find the leak thus the multiple holes.

The house was built in the 70's and yes there are some seems visible in this room and others as well. I think they are more apparent here because the water traveled down the seems.

I did have a guy out last week that provided a quote for patching, taping and painting and it seemed reasonable but I want a few other options. I agree that a ceiling is not the place to learn but I am willing to cut the holes square and to the joist to help with the process.

I will reach out to those who had replied.

Since it originated from a plumbing leak & has been sitting for a year I would remove & replace all of the affected areas.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Don't know where you're getting the 4 trips idea from. A Real Plaster guy, (a vanishing breed-but I have one) can do that job perfectly in a few hours. So can a competent drywall guy, using the powdered 20 min joint compound.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Don't know where you're getting the 4 trips idea from. A Real Plaster guy, (a vanishing breed-but I have one) can do that job perfectly in a few hours. So can a competent drywall guy, using the powdered 20 min joint compound.

With a small patch job like that, it's going to take 3 trips. Hanging and tape coat, block coat and then skim coat. The skim coat is going to include you having to float out the edges with an 18 inch knife or it's going to look like a patch.

The job is too small to wait around for the joint compound to dry. The chemical drying compound does not give you the quality of the compound that evaporates. I know people that use it but I don't like it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    FYI. A good drywall finisher can repair all of the holes in a day. I'd think around $250 is fair for dwall alone, no painting.

Like I said, a good drywall guy. You cut patches square, install blocking as necessary, tape with paper tape using ez sand 20 apply 3 coats after the tape coat and a quality drywall finisher will provide a quality finish that can be sanded by the painter. All drywall work can be done in 1 day ready to paint the next day and you're right $300 is more reasonable for labor alone.
    Material will be a sheet or 2 of 4x8 " drywall and no more than 2 bags of ez 20. Screws tape & wood for blocking is usually laying around the garage.

That's the only complicating issue. Existing ceiling is sagging so if the OP wants the entire thing screwed tight you really cant tell until you put some screws in it to see if it can be pulled tight to the framing above or if the screws pull through the dwall

Very good . Highly unlikely, depends on ones standards

Since it originated from a plumbing leak & has been sitting for a year I would remove & replace all of the affected areas.

Sounds like you should go do the job for him for $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom