• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Kirk Orchard Unit for grouse and woodcock

While doing a search for grouse hunting in Maryland, the first hit that pops up is http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=66936 :lol2: Anyway, doing a little more digging and I found this http://timberdoodle.org/demo/kirk-orchard-unit-green-ridge-state-forest-allegany-county-maryland Has anyone been here? It's in Allegany County. Is it worth the drive for woodcock/grouse? I may or may not have a working dog this fall.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, Sewer Rat. I don't know if I'll actually get the dog before this fall. One of the things that bugged me about upland bird hunting is not knowing if there were birds there or not. I've only been successful once in that endeavor. At least with a decent dog I'll know if that bush has a bird or two in it or if I should skip it. We'll see.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I hunted there once, roads aren't great, grouse habitat isn't great, flushed one woodcock, got lost briefly. Typical MD grouse hunt really.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    So... even though it was raining, decided to head out to Kirk Orchard in Green Ridge anyways, even just to scout it out.

Rain picked up on the other side of Hagarstown, but let off to a drizzle when I pulled onto the park. I had not been here before and was really digging the campsites and stream at the north end just off 68. Road had much to be desired, but not uncommon for dirt track.

Got onto the "main" road and was admiring the foggy views and the camps that were on top of the ridge.

Got to the Kirk Rd, and after the traihead at the bottom of the hill; the road appears to be meant for OHVs and not a full size 1999 chev. Made it to the top of the next hill, at the Kirk Rd entrance and discovered my 4wd switch wasn't working..... parked, thinking maybe it was "tired" and proceeded to hunt.

Had my 20ga skb o/u... hadn't taken it out since FL skeet shooting with neighbors. Property is being managed for grouse and woodcock, and appeared almost perfect for them.... they trimmed around the old apple trees, had more planted, open fields with brushy edges.... only its about 100 yds at the top, and pretty damned close to vertical on the edges.... at least seemed like it after I was tromping after a grouse that kept kicking up before I got into range... chased that sucker around until I got tired... literally.

Got back to the truck after exploring most of it, and proceeded to head back, very slowly... trucks don't like to stop on greasy muddy trails going downhill steeply.

Definitely going to hit it again, was worth the drive...going to check my 4wd switch, hopefully thats all it is; had to repair a terminal connection on the switch once before, damned electronics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom