• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    As K31 said, you should download from the radio first. This will force Chirp to recognize what settings are possible for your radio.

I don't believe you can stop the transmit function with a change to the offset value. The safest thing to do is set the transmit to a frs freq. Not legal, but better than transmitting on a police frequency.

Baofeng has its own software free to download. The Baofeng software allows you to set all of the configuration settings that Chirp does not. The radio comes with default settings that are for commercial and should be changed for amateur use. You can change all of them on one screen with the Baofeng software. The main difference with memory programming between the two is that with Chirp, you set an offset for transmit. With Baofeng software, you enter the transmit frequency. The software copies the receive frequency to transmit by default and then you edit it. This is a pain compared to just entering the offset but does make it easier for satellite since they sometimes use vhf for receive and uhf for transmit, or visa versa.

I have the 8 watt version bf fh8hp. This is $62 from Amazon and has some firmware improvements.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

All good to know. I forgot to recommend downloading first. I saved that file as a backup just in case I screwed something up.

As for setting the offset to "off" I tried several methods to make sure I didn't accidentally transmit including setting the offset value outside of the radio bandwidth capability. None of those methods worked using chirp. However I did find a post on the web suggesting to set offset to "off" and this worked. When I press the PTT the unit just beeps. I also tested it buy monitoring the same frequency on another HT to ensure there was no transmission and it worked. YMMV

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't believe you can stop the transmit function with a change to the offset value.

This was a new one on me, so I tried it this morning on one frequency (it's not actually the "offset" field but the "duplex" field).

The radio's (Baofeng GT3) transmit light came on as well as an indicator in the LCD. I then tuned to the receive frequency on another radio (assumption was that if duplex off allowed transmit, that would be mean simplex). I didn't hear anything though. I didn't have time to listen on the offset frequency. It needs some more testing to be sure.

The one thing to keep in mind though (from the Chirp webpage) is that the "off" setting only has this effect if the radio supports it.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Newbee questions...

Are not transmit and receive offsets fairly standard? If not it must be fairly difficult to connect with someone that has different off-sets. Maybe this will become clear as I read the book.

The short answer is yes they are so standard many radios will pick the correct offset for you if you enter the receive frequency. However there are non-standard ones out there and even ones on different bands. No difficulty as long as everyone plays by the same rules. Transmit on VHF listen on UHF or vice versa, for one example (This is very common on satellites).

You can even program the radio to use a different receive/transmit pair on different repeaters if there are linked repeaters in a system.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    This was a new one on me, so I tried it this morning on one frequency (it's not actually the "offset" field but the "duplex" field).

The radio's (Baofeng GT3) transmit light came on as well as an indicator in the LCD. I then tuned to the receive frequency on another radio (assumption was that if duplex off allowed transmit, that would be mean simplex). I didn't hear anything though. I didn't have time to listen on the offset frequency. It needs some more testing to be sure.

The one thing to keep in mind though (from the Chirp webpage) is that the "off" setting only has this effect if the radio supports it.
    Each radio may have different settings. I don't recall a setting as mentioned to stop the transmit function on my 8hp. I'll check when I return home.
    I recently picked up a Yaesu ftm100 Dr mobile I'm using as a base. The software automatically sets the offset based on the receive freq. The better radios will have better prog funtionality.
    The Baofeng was an excellent starter as it made me better understand the technology and functions since I had to do more of it myself. It's always better and easier to learn by doing than by just reading.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Newbee questions...

Are not transmit and receive offsets fairly standard? If not it must be fairly difficult to connect with someone that has different off-sets. Maybe this will become clear as I read the book.

Yep, in process. Just awaiting my learning materials.

Thanks for the education.

Each radio may have different settings. I don't recall a setting as mentioned to stop the transmit function on my 8hp. I'll check when I return home.
    I recently picked up a Yaesu ftm100 Dr mobile I'm using as a base. The software automatically sets the offset based on the receive freq. The better radios will have better prog funtionality.
    The Baofeng was an excellent starter as it made me better understand the technology and functions since I had to do more of it myself. It's always better and easier to learn by doing than by just reading.

There are a couple web sites that are good training tools. I used one that had flash cards and sample tests that used the actual test questions from the test. Just kept cramming on this one site for three days until I was at 98% efficiency. Took the test that Saturday and passed with 100%. I remembered a lot of the technical stuff from a long time ago.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    do you like the gt3? I was looking at picking one up after the speaker plug failed on my uv5r

I like the form because it feels better in the hand. The antenna that comes with it is better than other Baofengs and other HTs. I think this is the first HT antenna I didn't replace off the bat.

Internally I suspect it's just a UV5R because I have programmed it using Chirp with that selection. On the version I have, the GT3(something-something) selection tells you it's beta and use at your own risk so I just used UV5R again.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I like the form because it feels better in the hand. The antenna that comes with it is better than other Baofengs and other HTs. I think this is the first HT antenna I didn't replace off the bat.

Internally I suspect it's just a UV5R because I have programmed it using Chirp with that selection. On the version I have, the GT3(something-something) selection tells you it's beta and use at your own risk so I just used UV5R again.
    I don't see any gt listed on the baofeng website. I do see it listed on Amazon for sale. Interesting.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    EDIT: NEVERMIND Operator error, did not have connector far enough in.

Does anyone have a config file for AACO they would be willing to share?

Last edited:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Check out the repeaterbook integration for Chirp. I was able to have it load up the stations withing 25 miles very easily. Great feature.

EDIT: NEVERMIND Operator error, did not have connector far enough in.

Does anyone have a config file for AACO they would be willing to share?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Upcoming Technician class:

Attachments

• Become a Ham Radio Operator-Fall 2017-h.pdf
      251.5 KB · Views: 208

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I contacted them to sign up. Still awaiting a "package in the mail".

I have the study manual and have started through it. Seems they want you have a start towards an EE degree more then how to operate or understand the rules. Not a problem for me, just something I noticed.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Happy to report that our Patriot Picket core group
    has invested in Baofangs to link up with our shortwave brothers in the militias and in Oath Keepers.

Studying for the tests is a bitch! I used to crib off the cute chick next to me in class, but them days is gone...

I did have an FCC license (Class 3?) to be a jock and a news anchor on FM radio decades ago. Does anyone know if I am grandfathered in?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Happy to report that our Patriot Picket core group
    has invested in Baofangs to link up with our shortwave brothers in the militias and in Oath Keepers.

That's going to he hard since shortwave is HF or MF (High Frequency or Medium Frequency (and usually AM, SSB, CW or digital)) and Baofengs (for now) are VHF/UHF (Very High Frequency/Ultra High Frequency and (usually FM)).

I did have an FCC license (Class 3?) to be a jock and a news anchor on FM radio decades ago. Does anyone know if I am grandfathered in?

You are not. ;)

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Huzzah!

I'm still working on my General ticket. The ARRL guide is good but difficult to read at times.

Yes. Hamstudy.org is excellent. That is what I started with and then also bought the book.

There is a class for General starting on 11/2 if you want to use the class method over home study. It's at the National Electronic Museum if interested. I'm signed up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom