• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    All I use to clean my ARs save for bore cleaner. Spray, let set, brush, wipe.

I don't use bore cleaner that often, only when I do my super cleaning. Otherwise it is Ballistol everywhere. Bore and all.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I use Ballistol for cleaning pretty much everything gun related. I keep trying wonder lubricants, but for the price I don't think it can be beat. And Hickock45 is a fan.

It's an all purpose lubricant. If you know what I mean.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I knew a girl that swore it was a great personal lubricant. And she was a subject matter expert!

:D
    I bet before Ballistol, back in the old days, she started with WD40. Probably after reading this advertisement.
    image.jpeg

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Does exactly what it says on the can..!!

I use it on all my firearms for cleaning, although I tend to use high temp grease on all the moving parts after I've cleaned.

It's also a great general purpose lube, I now use this instead of WD40 on things like door hinges and various stuff around the house and on the car.

EDIT: Yes, it does stink..!! Try not to use the spray version in small confined areas, you will choke..!

For door hinges, try Froglube. Smells nice, doesn't drip black crap on the hinges, and hasn't required re-application after 5 years. Doors are all still quiet!

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i find it does a good job of cleaning crud and keeping things sliding and spinning how they are supposed to. the smell is the issue. the wife hates it. It smells like licorice mixed with pine sap mixed with paint thinner and something else hiding in there. i have both aerosol and liquid depending on what I'm doing with it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use Ballistol on my BP guns. After scrubbing and rinsing in water to get the burnt powder out, I dunk the parts in Moose Milk, let them air dry, and I'm done. No rust issues yet.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I've grown to like the licorice smell. Reminds me of Sambuca. Just make sure your area is well ventilated if it bothers you.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    My Ballistol Experience

The one step ultrasonic cleaner that I use is Gunzilla, which runs about $135/Gal. It works great, but is pretty pricey. I tried a 10% Ballistol solution in the ultrasonic tank, but after a (1) hour immersion was rather disappointed with the cleaning results. However, when I ultrasonic clean with a water-based ultrasonic cleaner, my left over 10% ballistol solution is a great rinse. After a 10 minute immersion in the Ballistol solution, parts are laid out on wax paper to dry over night. Any excessive Ballistol reissue is then removed with compressed air.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I use Ballistol as a skin moisturizer, deodorant, hair conditioner, and mouthwash and I've also found that it cures constipation, indigestion, rheumatism, influenza, pimples, boils, sores, headaches, appetite loss, ringworm, ulcers, dyspepsia, influenza, malaria, and even syphilitic affections. It's the most amazing panacea ever discovered by mankind! Or, maybe not so much but it's still great stuff.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I use Ballistol as a skin moisturizer, deodorant, hair conditioner, and mouthwash and I've also found that it cures constipation, indigestion, rheumatism, influenza, pimples, boils, sores, headaches, appetite loss, ringworm, ulcers, dyspepsia, influenza, malaria, and even syphilitic affections. It's the most amazing panacea ever discovered by mankind! Or, maybe not so much but it's still great stuff.

300px-happy_fun_ball_400x400.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom