• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Are there any local smiths who can bore a 40 S&W out to 10mm? Thought I'd check here first before sending my 405 and 16-40 out.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    have you taken into consideration the additional pressure of the 10mm vs the .40?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    37.5 kpsi versus 35 kpsi. Not that big a difference really.

The difference between 40 S&W and 10mm is really just OAL and consquently the size of the pistols chambered for it (9mm v 45 ACP size). Load a 40 S&W to 10mm OAL, and it'll do everything the 10 will with brass that's much more readily available. In theory, 40 S&W brass is stronger than 10 due to the small primer pocket.

I am getting ready to section an assortment of 10mm, 40, and 357 SIG cases to do a case wall thickness comparison.

I would also look in to getting a conversion barrel rather than reaming the 40 barrel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    have you taken into consideration the additional pressure of the 10mm vs the .40?

Barsto uses the same barrel for their 40 as they do for their 10. Lost of folks have done this with their Paras. The revolver is long enough, and it's a heavy 5-shot revolver on a K-frame sized frame. I'm not really worried, I'm not going to be putting a steady diet of nuclear loads in a 2" steel framed revolver.

I honestly thought when I read the title of this thread it was going to be on the maturity of the election protesters. I really did. :)

As to the original question, might be too far away but Jack Mortimer in Havre De Grace is good. http://www.jacksgunworks.com/

But that would be more of a Water Cooler post ;) I'll call Jack next year and see if he has the reamer.

37.5 kpsi versus 35 kpsi. Not that big a difference really.

The difference between 40 S&W and 10mm is really just OAL and consquently the size of the pistols chambered for it (9mm v 45 ACP size). Load a 40 S&W to 10mm OAL, and it'll do everything the 10 will with brass that's much more readily available. In theory, 40 S&W brass is stronger than 10 due to the small primer pocket.

I am getting ready to section an assortment of 10mm, 40, and 357 SIG cases to do a case wall thickness comparison.

I would also look in to getting a conversion barrel rather than reaming the 40 barrel.

See my first comment on this post. Barsto seems to have stopped selling their 10mm conversion barrels :sad20:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I am not seeing what the advantage of a 10mm over a 40 S&W would be for a 2" revolver. You're under the same limitation for max pressure. I don't know that the extra powder capacity would buy you much. What is it you're trying to do?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    in the para is there enough room(dimension wise) in the mag for the 10mm round?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am not seeing what the advantage of a 10mm over a 40 S&W would be for a 2" revolver. You're under the same limitation for max pressure. I don't know that the extra powder capacity would buy you much. What is it you're trying to do?

With the cylinder, I have almost as much travel as a Glock 29. And it gives me options that just the 40 doesn't.

The whole idea sounds like a good reason just to buy another gun ;)

I'd love a 610, but have you priced one lately? :sad20: Wish I still had mine. Of course, I'm looking at the Kriss Vector 10mm carbine :D

in the para is there enough room(dimension wise) in the mag for the 10mm round?

The frame is the same as the 45 ACP version, and yes, I loaded up a full mag with 10mm ammunition and it fits :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom