Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Join MD Shooters

Old April 13th, 2018, 01:52 PM #1

Precision Rifle Build Action

I am looking into building a chassis rifle or buying a Ruger precision rifle. After looking at pricing, I am thinking I may build my own rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. This leads to my question of what is the most accurate action to start with? I am looking at either at Remington 700 action, Savage model 10 action, Howa 1500, Ruger American, or something else. I am trying to keep the cost down below $2000 for the completed rifle so I am not looking at $1000 custom actions.

I am planning on using an ESS chassis with a 24 to 26 inch barrel (debating between Criterion or Shilen). This is partially about the finished product but also about learning some basic gun smithing.
Swaim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 02:17 PM #2
Pro Pizza Eater

Pro Pizza Eater

When I was shopping for a 6.5 Creedmoor a while back, one of the things I learned was there is SO MUCH support for anything built on a Remington 700 action, or the 700 footprint. I ended up getting a Bergara B-14 HMR. It's a ready to go out the box, which is what I wanted, but when deciding between that and a few others, the selling point for me was it has a Rem 700 footprint which means almost everything made for the 700, will fit on the Bergara.
d33rhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:35 PM #3
Former Member

Former Member

Ford vs Chevy, 9mm vs 45. Actions are just another debate that'll rage on until the end of time.

Greatest amount of support is for the Rem 700, most easy to work on yourself (IMO), would be Savage. Find a blueprinted 700 with a Remage conversion, and that'd be golden. Have the footprint of the 700, but the ease of caliber/barrel swap as you would on a Savage - Win.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 01:39 AM #4

If you want a well built rifle, you will have to have a Rem 700 action tuned.

By the time you buy the action and have it tuned/trued, you will have spent as much as the lower end custom actions like a Stiller or Kelblys
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 06:52 AM #5

Ptg sells blueprint 700 actions. I still think a built rifle would be the way to go. That ess chasis is going to handicap your other decisions. There are lots of other great rfles below $2k. The seekins havak for instance has a great action and is well below 2k.
Cuttyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 07:35 AM #6

Precision Rifle Build Action

The PVA John Hancock is built to meet PRS production rifle requirements. It is a hell of a lot of rifle for the money. It comes with a Nucleus action, Rock Creek barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, and a Timney trigger and user changeable barrels.

It is priced at just under $2000 in accordance with production rules and unlike a custom rifle or a Ruger with a better barrel, if you wanted to compete you could shoot production with it.
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 08:37 AM #7
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

What does it mean to have a blue printed action?
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 09:58 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
What does it mean to have a blue printed action?
It's not what it sounds like, you don't get any white drawings on a blue background.

Instead they make sure everything is squared up and in-line, the locking lug seats, the locking lug, the bolt face and the barrel threads.

This blog may be of interest to some, but are out of the OP's price range
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/0...fle-actions-2/
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:12 AM #9
Invictus

Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
The PVA John Hancock is built to meet PRS production rifle requirements. It is a hell of a lot of rifle for the money. It comes with a Nucleus action, Rock Creek barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, and a Timney trigger and user changeable barrels.

It is priced at just under $2000 in accordance with production rules and unlike a custom rifle or a Ruger with a better barrel, if you wanted to compete you could shoot production with it.
Agreed,but i hear the wait time is over 6 months.
CZ Fan Boy
Long distance rules!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:23 AM #10
Invictus

Invictus

OP... My personal opinion would be the Savage Model 10 for several reasons: easy to get, doesnt need blueprinting, cheap, can change your own barrels, and your chances of getting a turd is less than a Rem 700. Although Savage doesnt have the after market support that the 700 has, it is still substantial. Having said all that, any of the actions will do and you can make them work.

From and economic perspective, you can get the Model 10 for approximately $300. A decent stock for about the same price, and a prefit barrel for another $300-400. Spend the rest on a decent scope ($600-700), base/rings ($100) and bipod ($100).

DONT buy a crappy scope or bipod. Plenty of "beginner" scopes out there for $400, but the next level up will get you much better glass. I have a SWFA Super Sniper Tactical that was $399. That was my first scope and I still have it. I will say that it does the job and I'll never get rid of it, but it lacks in a lot of areas. I have used it competitions and its been out to 1200yds... Not ideal though. Again, consider the next level of scopes. For bipod, nothing less than a Harris. Why? Ive seen countless cheap bipods fail.
CZ Fan Boy
Long distance rules!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles