Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)

Notices

Old January 25th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #1
IMBLITZVT

Ask the AGC President! Have a question, ask him here!

The President of the AGC would like to give members an opportunity to ask him questions directly! As in any club, sometimes people don't understand what is going on or don't feel like they have any voice within the club. This is not true in the AGC as you all have a Trustee to represent you and you should be talking to him and making sure he is properly representing you. That said, the AGC President would like to make himself personally available to answer some questions.

Now, as moderator, I expect this thread to be kept respectful and cordial! I have personally disagreed, several times, with the AGC President and I know he respects everyone's right to have a different opinion as he has respected mine when its disagreed with him in the past. I expect the same out of posters in this thread! I will be quickly removing anything less!

I hope everyone respects and takes advantage of this opportunity! Also please note, he is not hear to answer why there is a mud puddle that you stepped in. Lets keep the questions worthy of asking the AGC President. You are welcome to post the other questions in the general forum.

The current President of the AGC is Tom D'Asto (tdasto).
IMBLITZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 03:42 PM   #2
danb
nope nope nope nope

I have no questions, right now. I'd like to say however that the changes over the last 18 months or so are fantastic, and I look forward to the new action bays. I used to debate renewing AGC because it was a 2.5 season range for me... Now I do not mind braving the cold to bang some steel.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Uncle Duke

Tom,

I do have a question, specific to the 100 yard Barnes range at least, and Thanks in advance for the opportunity!

There's obviously been a lot of discussion about steel target shooting at the AGC. My apologies if this question has been specifically addressed elsewhere, but if so I haven't seen mention of it.

It would appear that .327 Magnum, .357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, and 44 Magnum chambering are not allowed (even on Barnes) by virtue of Item 3 below. All are indeed centerfire rounds, and all indeed include the word "Magnum". None however even remotely approach 3000 fps muzzle velocity, when chambered in either handgun or rifle. But .30-06 Springfield is ok, by virtue of specific mention in Item 4.

I would THINK that the wording of the below rule may not correspond exactly with actual intent, at the time that steel target policy was written. But I'd like to know for sure, with all parties in agreement regarding what is and what isn't allowable, before I were to show up on Barnes with a newly purchased .44 Magnum lever action as an example.

GREAT to see steel target shooting at AGC! The above wording and "reading between the lines" would seem consistent with a "walk before we run" steel target thought process, and a desire to keep safety paramount throughout the learning curve. That's a mindset to be applauded as well. Yet the policy as written is......well.....the policy as written. Written policy ideally isn't subject to conjecture.

================================================

K. Ammunition restrictions.

1. No round, regardless of configuration or caliber, with a muzzle velocity over 3000 feet per second is permitted.
2. No round with a muzzle velocity less than 750 feet per second is permitted.
3. No centerfire magnum rounds may be shot at steel.
4. Maximum rifle caliber is 30-06.
5. Maximum pistol caliber is .357 SIG as rated by energy. .45 ACP and .45 Colt are permitted.
L. Handgun-caliber handguns and handgun-caliber rifles may be shot at steel targets on the 50-yard range. Rifle racks must be used. Ammunition restrictions per II.K.5
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 04:03 PM   #4
killng

I really enjoy the changes that have been happening at AGC with steel and holster drawing, I love hearing the positive feed back from the steel. I would like to maybe see more spaces for steel,allowing dueling tree, and other distances (not just 25 and 50) in the 50 and 100 yard range. I wish I was allowed to shoot 22LR rifles,cz scorpion sb tactical brace, ar 9 pistols at the 50 yard ranges instead of having to move to the 100 yard.
killng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:02 PM   #5
tdasto

Thanks for asking...

IMBLITZVT - thanks for setting up this thread an providing oversight! I'll answer any question with what I know or will send the question to the AGC officer responsible to get the answer. My responses should be expected within one day, but give me a couple of days if I have to go to another source for the answer!

My simple goal for this thread is to help stop false information from spreading and growing out of control which happens all the time.
tdasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:04 PM   #6
tdasto

Killng - Your requests will more easily be solved when we get the new shooting bays constructed and specific range rules for those areas published.
tdasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Sealion

Kudos for engaging the forum. I'm not a long time AGC member so I'm only vague aware of past history. The changes I've seen, have been for the most part, positive. And it seems like you are heading in the right direction. I'm particularly excited about the Action Shooting improvements. Thanks.

NRA - Endowment-Life Member
MSI Member
MD Designated Collector
SOTAR Alumnus

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sealion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:19 PM   #8
songlaw

Is AGC open to hosting events for cops?

Tom:

I only joined about 6 months ago, but like AGC so much that I purchased a 15 year badge. Hope I live to watch it expire.

There are currently local events to raise money for cops. For instance, there is a annual "Bowling with Badges" event, in Howard County. Just as it sounds, it is a bowling event, to raise money for cops.

I was discussing this with several other lawyers, including the persons who run the bowling event. Would AGC be open to hosting a shooting event, with the proceeds going to cops? Understandably, many (most) of the participants will not be AGC members. I envision a cop or two at every lane, with members of the public who would donate money to get to shoot with the cops.

This would be good for both cops, and AGC, which would have exposure to a larger general public, who might become members.

Please let me know if the AGC Board would be open to this type of event.

Thanks.
songlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:35 PM   #9
rseymorejr

Quote:
Originally Posted by songlaw View Post
Tom:

I only joined about 6 months ago, but like AGC so much that I purchased a 15 year badge. Hope I live to watch it expire.

There are currently local events to raise money for cops. For instance, there is a annual "Bowling with Badges" event, in Howard County. Just as it sounds, it is a bowling event, to raise money for cops.

I was discussing this with several other lawyers, including the persons who run the bowling event. Would AGC be open to hosting a shooting event, with the proceeds going to cops? Understandably, many (most) of the participants will not be AGC members. I envision a cop or two at every lane, with members of the public who would donate money to get to shoot with the cops.

This would be good for both cops, and AGC, which would have exposure to a larger general public, who might become members.

Please let me know if the AGC Board would be open to this type of event.

Thanks.
I would put together a proposal and have your club trustee present it at a trustees meeting.

ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 05:53 PM   #10
songlaw

Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to see if it is even a possibility before going through that process.
songlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)