Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 15th, 2018, 12:28 PM #11

That's what I did, almost to a T. Although I did piss away more than a grand playing around with stocks and chassis', until I found what suited me best.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 05:22 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaim13 View Post
This leads to my question of what is the most accurate action to start with?
I would get a Tikka action just get a used rifle with a 308 boltface. Pick blued or stainless, left or right hand. Tikka actions don't need blueprinting and the ESS chassis is compatible
Or get a CTR and drop in a a chassis
Or get a TAC A1
rtse4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 07:35 PM #13

Quote:
I am looking into building a chassis rifle or buying a Ruger precision rifle. After looking at pricing, I am thinking I may build my own rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. This leads to my question of what is the most accurate action to start with? I am looking at either at Remington 700 action, Savage model 10 action, Howa 1500, Ruger American, or something else. I am trying to keep the cost down below $2000 for the completed rifle so I am not looking at $1000 custom actions.

I am planning on using an ESS chassis with a 24 to 26 inch barrel (debating between Criterion or Shilen). This is partially about the finished product but also about learning some basic gun smithing.
Does your $2,000 budget include the scope, or is that coming from an additional budget?
"A bureaucrat is the most despicable of men, though he is needed as vultures are needed, but one hardly admires vultures whom bureaucrats so strangely resemble. I have yet to meet a bureaucrat who was not petty, dull, almost witless, crafty or stupid, an oppressor or a thief, a holder of a little authority in which he delights, as a boy delights in possessing a vicious dog. Who can trust such creatures."

-Cicero 50 B.C.

antco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 09:14 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by antco View Post
Does your $2,000 budget include the scope, or is that coming from an additional budget?
Unless I misread the OP, I took it as $2K out-the-door and on the firing line.

For $2K or less, he has options. It's doable, may not be the fanciest rig with all the bells & whistles, but it'd be a good entry rig.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 09:49 PM #15
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
It's not what it sounds like, you don't get any white drawings on a blue background.

Instead they make sure everything is squared up and in-line, the locking lug seats, the locking lug, the bolt face and the barrel threads.

This blog may be of interest to some, but are out of the OP's price range
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/0...fle-actions-2/
Lots of great info on that site. Thanks!
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 01:42 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacc82 View Post
Unless I misread the OP, I took it as $2K out-the-door and on the firing line.

For $2K or less, he has options. It's doable, may not be the fanciest rig with all the bells & whistles, but it'd be a good entry rig.
I am hoping that for my first precision rifle to keep the entire thing under 2K but am willing to go a little higher with the scope if I need to. I know that building will likely be more expensive at the end of the day, but part of this is learning more about gun smithing. I was planning on using an Athlon scope as I have had a great experience with an Athlon Argos scope out to 500 yards on my Remington 700 SPS in 223. I was figuring on going up a step or two and spending around $700 for the optic.

I found out from using my 270 and 30-06 that I am recoil sensitive in my shoulder due to a bad separation. I am planning on modifying whatever gun I get to increase the weight to help with this which is why I am going with the ESS chassis as I think I can easily modify it to add additional weight in a a manner that lets me balance the rifle and not be permanent. This build is really an entry gun to learn long distance shooting and to see if my shoulder can take a higher recoil than a 223 for 100+ rounds on a gun that is not a light weight hunting rifle. I am ok with not having all the bells and whistles at this time. At the same time, I am also trying to not just throw money away.

Looking at the different guns and actions that people have been proposing, I do not think I am going with a custom action at this time. I have had great accuracy from my stock 223 Remington 700 (.6 inches/ 5 shots/ 200 yards) so I think I would get a blueprinted version and save a few hundred bucks if I go that route. I do like the Tikka actions and have heard nothing but great things. If I can find a Tikka action or a gun for cheap, I may go that route.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am hoping a few more people will chime in with their opinions!
Swaim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:28 AM #17
Invictus

Invictus

Quote:
I am hoping that for my first precision rifle to keep the entire thing under 2K but am willing to go a little higher with the scope if I need to. I know that building will likely be more expensive at the end of the day, but part of this is learning more about gun smithing. I was planning on using an Athlon scope as I have had a great experience with an Athlon Argos scope out to 500 yards on my Remington 700 SPS in 223. I was figuring on going up a step or two and spending around $700 for the optic.

I found out from using my 270 and 30-06 that I am recoil sensitive in my shoulder due to a bad separation. I am planning on modifying whatever gun I get to increase the weight to help with this which is why I am going with the ESS chassis as I think I can easily modify it to add additional weight in a a manner that lets me balance the rifle and not be permanent. This build is really an entry gun to learn long distance shooting and to see if my shoulder can take a higher recoil than a 223 for 100+ rounds on a gun that is not a light weight hunting rifle. I am ok with not having all the bells and whistles at this time. At the same time, I am also trying to not just throw money away.

Looking at the different guns and actions that people have been proposing, I do not think I am going with a custom action at this time. I have had great accuracy from my stock 223 Remington 700 (.6 inches/ 5 shots/ 200 yards) so I think I would get a blueprinted version and save a few hundred bucks if I go that route. I do like the Tikka actions and have heard nothing but great things. If I can find a Tikka action or a gun for cheap, I may go that route.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am hoping a few more people will chime in with their opinions!
Get a good brake and that'll help, a lot.
CZ Fan Boy
Long distance rules!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:05 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Get a good brake and that'll help, a lot.
I actually have never used a brake before so I am hoping that between the brake and the weight, I can shoot without issues. Is it best to just read peoples reviews and judge a brake that way or are there any specific features that I should look for that help more?
Swaim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:31 AM #19

I had this same dilemma about a month ago. My budget was 2K also and I was looking at a Howa HCR, then I thought about doing a chassis build with a Howa or Rem 700 action in a ESS, then I was looking at the Bergera and Tikka chassis offering's.

I went with the Tikka T3X Tac A1. I bought some Graf and sons brass with small primer pockets, added 147gr ELD-Ms with some Varget and Shot a 1.85" group at 300yds. The vertical spread was 1.85" and the horizontal spread was under and inch. The low flier messed up the group overall but it was still impressive. There was a lot of mirage and the bulls eye was a blurry red blob looking through the scope. The rifle has a 10-50X60 SIII on it with a 20MOA riser and Leupold rings. The rifle is awesome, all I had to do was adjust the trigger a little, add a scope and a bipod and I'm good to go. The Tikka comes threaded with a brake and thread protector. They are doing a deal right now for a free mag by mail so you end up with 3 10 rounders. The mags are $99 which is nuts but I won't need more than 3 anyway.

I'm pretty happy with my choice and it was easier than messing with an action and chassis setup. Just my 2 cents.
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:14 PM #20

If money isn't an issue, and you don't mind waiting...get a suppressor. All the benefits of a brake AND reduced noise.
Major03 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles