• 2F1512E9-4F12-4E86-A352-A68BC172DAF7.jpg
      2F1512E9-4F12-4E86-A352-A68BC172DAF7.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 462

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I also watch Old Media because I want to see how they structure and edit the piece, including the deliberate use of subliminal suggestion.

In this story, it was showing the image of the statue of a Civil War soldier while the Scott Pelley voice-over describes the legal opposition to Red Flag laws: the subtle visual inference that such legal opposition is associated with the right-wing/Charlottesville types who want to keep Confederate statues in place.

I noticed this exact same scene and thought why not show a different statue.

4c29bffd63ac130604e14dc6514e0500.jpg

Thanks for bringing it up here.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I always assumed that the piece was going to promote Red Flag laws, nevertheless was delighted to watch as a pro-2A Colorado rancher and Sheriffs gave thoughtful and articulate answers and explanations for our side, in high def, on national TV.

It is an acknowledgement that the Old Media is now struggling to remain relevant as accusations of Fake News damages their former undeserved credibility, and now they must give us some argument time to claim relevance.

I also watch Old Media because I want to see how they structure and edit the piece, including the deliberate use of subliminal suggestion.

In this story, it was showing the image of the statue of a Civil War soldier while the Scott Pelley voice-over describes the legal opposition to Red Flag laws: the subtle visual inference that such legal opposition is associated with the right-wing/Charlottesville types who want to keep Confederate statues in place.

I couldn’t tell which side of the Civil War that particular statue honored, but it didn’t matter, as a general propaganda proposition. Nothing in editing is done without intention, and the more subtle it is, the greater the potential payoff in persuasion.

Nevertheless, I was glad I could watch some from our side speaking effectively on one of the highest rated shows on television.

YMMV, and so I’m interested in your take, if you viewed it.

PS: We do our own media now, plus we use theirs, when it suits us.

Spot on.

I absolutely noticed the Civil War statue as well. I also saw that statue in my mind's eye, correctly or otherwise and I could be wrong, as being Confederate. My first thought was, what does that statue have to do with the subject matter being presented?

That question was answered for me clearly when Scott Pelley made rather turse mention to one of the sheriffs, that "nobody asked you", when the sheriff indicated his disagreement with the newly passed law that takes effect January 1, and his unwillingness to enforce it. He indicated that his first duty regarding law enforcement is to the COTUS, with his second duty being to the Constitution of the State of Colorado. Third would be laws passed by the state. But in this instance, he sees this "red flag" law as violating both of his first two obligations and allegiances.

The message with the commentary, coupled with the purposeful introduction of the Civil War statue, was IMO a purposeful effort to foster a connotation of open rebellion against what "should" be regarded as the "lawful" and "righteous" orders of the state.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I watched it and was surprised (not) that the local yokel farmer didn't mention that removing one tool from the toolbox isn't rendering anyone safer or maybe he did and it was edited out. The mentally ill guy who shot up the liberal Sheriff's deputy could just as easily have pulled a McVeigh among many other options.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I haven't watched NFL in years, because Goodell supported the kneeling. But, oh man, he almost caught that ball at the end. Then we would have had to wait even longer for the propaganda!

Rather irksome were the constant shots of Pelley nodding his head when red flag advocates' views were being touted. There was no mention of Gary J. Willis. How can they do a "story" on red flag laws and not mention his name?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting how the article mentions 2 shooting incidents which would not have been stopped if the red flag law was already in place and enforced.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    One of the people interviewed (in support of erpo) was a father whose son committed suicide at the age of 20. With his own gun, THAT HIS FATHER GAVE BACK TO HIM!! He had taken his son's apparently legally purchased firearms, and when the son threatened to go out and get one "off the street", his father gave them back to him with trigger locks on them, and the father held the keys. Well, the son got past the locks and ate a bullet. Father claims "red flag laws" would have prevented it, and he TOOK NO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY in the matter. I was just amazed at how far from reality the father seemed.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    He would rather blame the gun than state where the blame actually resides. That 20 yr old could just as easily have walked in front of a moving vehicle, jumped off a bridge, or countless other options that don't involve arms of any kind.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    none of this crap is about saving lives. if someone is on the edge enough, he/she should be taken out of circulation, and not just have one of many tool options (knife, car, gasoline, etc) taken away. but there needs to be severe repercussions for any false calls.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Segment was trash. Looked like a fill-in story/some way to waste time when there was nothing else interesting that week to talk about

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    Who in his right mind would waste time watching 60 Lies a Minute?

I haven't watched 60 minutes in many years, but while watching football, I saw the teaser for this piece, and decided to check it out..

It was frustrating to me that in the case of the mentally ill person who shot everyone, and was used to justify the whole bill, the piece even said the police had been there several times over several months and knew there was a possibility of violence and that he had guns, and yet the justification for the law after the fact was that "it would take months" to resolve with current laws.. Well.. you just told us that you HAD MONTHS of warning, and did NOTHING with current laws...

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    this sanctuary cities (guns and/or illegals) isnt going to end well

I disagree. Local defiance of state and federal laws is a very good thing and gets the ball rolling on restoring our government back to its limited government constitutional roots.

There should be significantly more control at the local level which drastically decrease as the size of the government increases to state and federal agencies.

I disagree. Local defiance of state and federal laws is a very good thing and gets the ball rolling on restoring our government back to its limited government constitutional roots.

There should be significantly more control at the local level which drastically decrease as the size of the government increases to state and federal agencies.

Nope NADA no way. Gun legislation is 100% the Federal government's responsibilities. State and local governments have no business sticking their nose into 2nd amendment legislation. In fact the only real gun law on the books today is the second amendment. The Constitution is clear all rights not enumerated in the Constitution belong to the state however the second amendment is part of the Constitution there for the states have no rights to produce any firearms legislation pro or con. As I see it these sanctuary States and sanctuary counties trying to protect our second amendment rights are doing so as a symbolic gesture not as legislation. It won't stand up to the Court's scrutiny in blue States anyway.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Seems to me there is way too much that can go wrong. If there is an error and a person whose guns are seized is avictim of a home break in and killed but caould have been saved had they had their gun is a great example. Would the judge be allowed to be sued? Of course not. I also think judges are going to sign off on these left and right and many people will not cooperate and we will have dead citizens or cops. NOw threats of violence then there is room for a conversation but they can say that someone saying "our founders would be shooting by now" is a threat. its not. Its an opinion. And i liked how the one guy says "Its only up to 21 days and then a decision is reached" This reminds me of minority report where they try to convict people of crimes they will commit but have not yet. If that is the case what would liberals say if we say that 1 or out 6 black males will commit a felony. Are one out of 6 guns in the country used in a crime? one out of 200? one out of 5000? They dont like stats then do they? I do not think a court will overturn red flags but i hope they make the bar really high and say states must give remedies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom