• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That sucks, and Frank was a 2A stalwart , but trendlines have been inevitable .

But this does open up opportunities for actual small shows of the VFD/ VFW hall size , and maybe for Appalachian Promotions .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Appalachian pulled back , because there was no longer sufficient market for TWO regional level gun show promoters , who between themselves, plus Chantilly were stepping on each other . Now that Frank has bowed out , there may be room for one regional level promoter, at least entered into the mix of their shows in neighboring states .

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    It's a catch 22.

Which came first fewer vendors or fewer attendees?

When shows were $5-6, I did not miss very many shows. if for nothing else than to entertain myself for several hours and the occasional bargain.

Once admission got to the $10-12 range and bargains all but disappeared, I stopped attending shows. Stopped being a good value for my entertainment dollars.

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Sad to see it go but was surprised it lasted this long. They have dwindled over the years and seemed for a while to show up once a month and not any really good deals to speak of. I did meet Lou at one of the shows and still enjoyed going on the occaision but the MD laws and better shows on the other side of the river apparently were just too much.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    While I may or may not fit "your" definition of a Fudd , keep dividing man! It was never gonna last in this area anyway. Times have changed, the small venues in places like Parkville or Annapolis, even Howard cannot compete with the internet sales or Chinamarts.

Ohh, touched a nerve? I'm not dividing. I have nothing against guys who only collect traditional hunting rifles and the like, but it absolutely pegs them as "Fudds" because that's what they are! They generally don't care for modern rifles and wax rhapsodically about lever actions and rounds with hyphens and "oughts" in the name.

I play video games, read sci-fi and fantasy, collect obsolete military arms, blue-collar shotguns and play D&D every other Sunday night. It makes me a nerd/geek but I don't get riled up about that label because I enjoy it.

We're all gun owners, but certain aspects of owning and collecting will get you a label and if so, who gives a s*** so long as you are enjoying what you do.

Most kids play videogames, but the ones who play FIFA and Madden aren't going to get called "nerd" like the ones who play "Final Fantasy" or "Elder Scrolls" will. Same goes for any are of interest.

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    I was at two shows where on the PA system, he savaged an exhibitor. Not by name, but by actions. Once I was standing talking to the exhibitor. He turned to his staff at the booth and said "that was me, and I DID give the pizza man our name. I've had it with Frank, we are not coming ever again." I counted, that man paid for 12 tables, including electricity! Once an exhibitor came 90 minutes late on Sunday. Frank and co packed his booth up and it was on the curb at 60 minutes. Once the wind coming in the front door at Columbia was knocking down signs, etc. One exhibitor asked Frank to close the door. Frank told him no,. and then proceeded to chase him back t the booth- all the while loudly telling him off. At end while he was winding down he commented "If you want to pay the additional to run the A/C then we can close the door." Reaming out an exhibitor in public (and a lawyer to boot!) does not promote cooperation. The man reached the boot, said 'By All" and walked out- and would never come back again. People come for the exhibits. However, if you piss off your clients (exhibitors) don't expect them to come back. If you cut your draw, visitors stop coming.

Visitors are doing a cost/benefit analysis; aka: is it worth it? when deciding to come (pay the entry fee.) It may take $15 to support a show with 200 visitors. I will only take $5 for 600 people to come in.

Frank was a great 2A man, and very committed. And a great patriot. He will be missed.
    He didn't have to be missed- he chose to be missed.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I was at two shows where on the PA system, he savaged an exhibitor. Not by name, but by actions. Once I was standing talking to the exhibitor. He turned to his staff at the booth and said "that was me, and I DID give the pizza man our name. I've had it with Frank, we are not coming ever again." I counted, that man paid for 12 tables, including electricity! Once an exhibitor came 90 minutes late on Sunday. Frank and co packed his booth up and it was on the curb at 60 minutes. Once the wind coming in the front door at Columbia was knocking down signs, etc. One exhibitor asked Frank to close the door. Frank told him no,. and then proceeded to chase him back t the booth- all the while loudly telling him off. At end while he was winding down he commented "If you want to pay the additional to run the A/C then we can close the door." Reaming out an exhibitor in public (and a lawyer to boot!) does not promote cooperation. The man reached the boot, said 'By All" and walked out- and would never come back again. People come for the exhibits. However, if you piss off your clients (exhibitors) don't expect them to come back. If you cut your draw, visitors stop coming.

Visitors are doing a cost/benefit analysis; aka: is it worth it? when deciding to come (pay the entry fee.) It may take $15 to support a show with 200 visitors. I will only take $5 for 600 people to come in.

Frank was a great 2A man, and very committed. And a great patriot. He will be missed.
    He didn't have to be missed- he chose to be missed.

If you are referring to the Frederick show I believe earlier this year, that vendor didn't show up on Sunday until 12noon. 3 hours after the show opened, not a phone call or email to the promoter to let him know if there was a problem. Yes the promoter packed up the vendors stuff and placed it in the middle of their display NOT TO THE CURB!! And that was because he was concerned about theft from the tables since no one was there. I was there and saw what happened.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ohh, touched a nerve? I'm not dividing. I have nothing against guys who only collect traditional hunting rifles and the like, but it absolutely pegs them as "Fudds" because that's what they are! They generally don't care for modern rifles and wax rhapsodically about lever actions and rounds with hyphens and "oughts" in the name.

I play video games, read sci-fi and fantasy, collect obsolete military arms, blue-collar shotguns and play D&D every other Sunday night. It makes me a nerd/geek but I don't get riled up about that label because I enjoy it.

We're all gun owners, but certain aspects of owning and collecting will get you a label and if so, who gives a s*** so long as you are enjoying what you do.

Most kids play videogames, but the ones who play FIFA and Madden aren't going to get called "nerd" like the ones who play "Final Fantasy" or "Elder Scrolls" will. Same goes for any are of interest.

It's not the so called "Fudds" that irritate me it's the smug know-it-all A-holes that act like they're somehow special and more knowledgeable than every one else. I have to say it seems like they are more prevalent in Maryland. You see these people at shows, ranges and gunshops.

I equally like my AR's and my 300 savage, so I guess I'm a Tacti-Fudd! LOL!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    It's not the so called "Fudds" that irritate me it's the smug know-it-all A-holes that act like they're somehow special and more knowledgeable than every one else. I have to say it seems like they are more prevalent in Maryland. You see these people at shows, ranges and gunshops.

Ive ran into nutswingers like that too

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Just another reason I moved out of Maryland, Florida has 4-5 gun shows every weekend (except when there's a hurricane) if one is too far to drive wait a week then there will be one closer. :cool:

Florida Gun Shows This Week End Oct 12th – 13th, 2019
    Florida Gun Shows – Orlando
    Orlando, FL

North Port Gun & Knife Show
    North Port, FL

Tallahassee Gun Show
    Tallahassee, FL

West Palm Beach Gun & Knife Show
    West Palm Beach, FL

Florida Gun Shows Next Week

Great American Bartow Gun Show
    Bartow, FL

Florida Gun Shows – Tampa
    Tampa, FL

Inverness Gun Trader Show
    Inverness, FL

Cliffhanger’s Jacksonville Gun Show
    Jacksonville, FL
    Broward County Miramar National Guard Armory Gun Show

Miramar, FL
    Panama City Beach Gun Show

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Just another reason I moved out of Maryland, Florida has 4-5 gun shows every weekend (except when there's a hurricane) if one is too far to drive wait a week then there will be one closer. :cool:

Florida Gun Shows This Week End Oct 12th – 13th, 2019
    Florida Gun Shows – Orlando
    Orlando, FL

North Port Gun & Knife Show
    North Port, FL

Tallahassee Gun Show
    Tallahassee, FL

West Palm Beach Gun & Knife Show
    West Palm Beach, FL

Florida Gun Shows Next Week

Great American Bartow Gun Show
    Bartow, FL

Florida Gun Shows – Tampa
    Tampa, FL

Inverness Gun Trader Show
    Inverness, FL

Cliffhanger’s Jacksonville Gun Show
    Jacksonville, FL
    Broward County Miramar National Guard Armory Gun Show

Miramar, FL
    Panama City Beach Gun Show

Which ones do you like?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I equally like my AR's and my 300 savage, so I guess I'm a Tacti-Fudd! LOL!

Agree with you on the smug know-it-alls. Doesn't matter if they are talking about the latest and greatest AR build or trying to convince me that semi-automatics have no place in hunting, they're just a royal pain in the a$$.

As for myself, I've leaned more Fudd recently than non-Fudd in my purchases. Lots of classic shotties over the past 3 years, but only a few military rifles. Again, ain't nothin' wrong with it.

Also, Tacti-Fudd makes me think of those poor Mosins that have pistol grips and collapsable stocks screwed onto them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom