• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm thinking about a 9mm. Everything I'm interested in is on the handgun roster but all have evil high capacity magazines. As far as I can tell, the gun is good to go but the mags can't be purchased, received or transferred here in MD. I'm hoping I can buy the gun out of state, have it shipped to my local FFL without the mags and just do a separate cash purchase of the magazines right there on the spot. would that be legal?

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I'm thinking about a 9mm. Everything I'm interested in is on the handgun roster but all have evil high capacity magazines. As far as I can tell, the gun is good to go but the mags can't be purchased, received or transferred here in MD. I'm hoping I can buy the gun out of state, have it shipped to my local FFL without the mags and just do a separate cash purchase of the magazines right there on the spot. would that be legal?

Yes.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Yep, or you could just buy one from a MD dealer with 10 round magazines, then visit a gun show in a nearby free state and get some normal capacity magazines there. The increased cost of having a gun shipped from an out-of-state dealer to a MD dealer isn't worth it, in my opinion.

britishjohnhall

I purchased a handgun recently out of state (I was physically in the store). They shipped the gun to my local FFL and gave me the mags right there and then. This particular store has a heavy crowd of So MD'ers so they are sympathetic. I'm not sure this would be the case with all "local" out of state stores though.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    I second "buy in MD and get a 10 round mag, then go to America and buy some standard-capacity mags". If there's ever any possibility, no matter how remote, of you wanting to sell the gun in MD, your interested buyers will number far fewer if you don't have a reduced-capacity mag to go with the gun.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When you buy a semi-auto out of state, the magazine comes with it.

Just take the magazine home with you.
    This. That's how I'd do it anyway. No doubt it's a pain to have to do it that way, but the alternative is to have it shipped with low cap mags, and then have to go out on another date to a location out of state to get aftermarket mags for it. We've got the Chantilly show coming up on February 13, 15 and 15 - might be a good time to purchase that pistol.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sportsmans Super Store will ship without without mags. Was looking at the Sig P226 MK25 Desert. Comes with 3 15rd mags. They weren't willing to sent the mags to my Dads in Pa. And the gun to me but would ship the gun to me without the mags. What's nice is that the have Military/LEO pricing.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I'd rather just buy it out of state and have the right mags in my hand. Stupid laws!

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Also depending on model, some local IPs will pin or block standard capacity mags to 10 rounds. It's legal to go over the state line to unblock/unpin them.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Two options.

1) Do as you suggested and purchase out of state, take mags home, and transfer to yourself at a MD FLL. Call around to find a place that offers reasonable transfer rates. Depending on the pistol, the transfer fee may be greater than 2 mags bought out of state (glock for example). If it's a Sig or HK ($50 mags), then it might be worth it.

2) If you are in good graces with a local gun shop, they can order a pistol with the standard mags, disassemble the mags (remove base plate, spring and follower) and sell them to you as a "parts kit". It is up to you however, to leave the state in order to "manufacture them" and then bring them back for legal possession *rolls eyes*. You will have a tough time convincing a shop to do this as a walk-in, first time buyer, though.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    2) If you are in good graces with a local gun shop, they can order a pistol with the standard mags, disassemble the mags (remove base plate, spring and follower) and sell them to you as a "parts kit". It is up to you however, to leave the state in order to "manufacture them" and then bring them back for legal possession *rolls eyes*. You will have a tough time convincing a shop to do this as a walk-in, first time buyer, though.

REALLY?

You do know that MSP put pressure on sellers OUT OF THE STATE to stop selling "mag kits"????

And you think they will be OK with transferring them INSIDE the state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom