• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Exactly, but analogize that to someone moving to MD. They didn't buy their handguns on accordance with MD law, but they can get around that by FSA 2013 voluntary registration. Same scenario for this situation: buy out of state and voluntarily register to comply with MD law. But that MD law doesn't apply when you buy out of state (unless there is a federal statute that I feel like I am being ignorant of).

The FFL must comply with he law of the state of residence. Which means that the out of state FFL would use MSPolice as the POC agency and require an HQL and the 7 day requirement.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Somehow the Commerce Clause failed to make an appearance - unless I missed it in the wad of turgid prose. As a favorite catch-all, I'd have thought someone would have brought it up.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Even if you could find an oos ffl to help you out you would still have the 7day wait to contend with as well as having to pay tax in that state.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Lets say by some miracle this is upheld. You know what will happen. Each retailer will have a list of states they don't sell to because they are incapable of, or unwilling to understanding their individual state laws. Can anyone guess which state will end up on that list?

Additionally Frosh would send every FFL in the country a letter threatening legal action if they sold anything to an MD resident. (buying the postage with HQL fee money no doubt).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Now where exactly is this opinion enforceable, only the Northern District of Texas, or nationally (pending appeal)?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Now where exactly is this opinion enforceable, only the Northern District of Texas, or nationally (pending appeal)?

Right now, only as to these particular plaintiffs. That will change if the 5th Circuit affirms, then it will apply circuit wide. If it does affirm, this has SCT written all over it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Press release
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

CCRKBA Wins SAF-Funded Case On Interstate Handgun Transfer Ban

[FONT=&quot]BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today won a major federal court ruling in a case involving interstate handgun transfers in which the judge applied strict scrutiny to determine whether a ban on such transfers meets constitutional muster.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The case, which was financially supported by the Second Amendment Foundation, is known as Mance v. Holder. It involves plaintiffs residing in the District of Columbia and Texas, and could have far-reaching ramifications, according to CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Our lawsuit strikes at the heart of a debate that has been ongoing for several years, since the creation of the National Instant Check System (NICS),” Gottlieb said. “With the advent of the NICS system, it makes no sense to perpetuate a ban on interstate transfers of handguns.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Indeed, in his ruling, U.S. District Court Judge Reed O’Connor of the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth Division, writes, “(T)he Court finds that the federal interstate handgun transfer ban burdens conduct that falls within the scope of the Second Amendment.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The judge later added, “By failing to provide specific information to demonstrate the reasonable fit between this ban and illegal sales and lack of notice in light of the Brady Act amendments to the 1968 Gun Control Act, the ban is not substantially related to address safety concerns. Thus, even under intermediate scrutiny, the federal interstate handgun transfer ban is unconstitutional on its face.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CCRKBA and the individual plaintiffs are represented by Virginia attorney Alan Gura and Texas attorney William B. “Bill” Mateja of Fish & Richardson in Dallas.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“It is bizarre and irrational to destroy the national market for an item that Americans have a fundamental right to purchase,” Gura observed. “Americans would never tolerate a ban on the interstate sale of books or contraceptives. And Americans are free to buy rifles and shotguns outside their state of residence, so long as the dealers respect the laws of the buyer’s home state. We’re gratified that the Court agreed that handguns should be treated no differently.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation’s premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States. The Citizens Committee can be reached by phone at (425) 454-4911, on the Internet at www.ccrkba.org or by email to InformationRequest@ccrkba.org.[/FONT]

<Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family>​
    Copyright © 2015 Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, All Rights Reserved.​
    [FONT=&quot]Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    James Madison Building
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Voice: 425-454-4911
    Toll Free: 800-426-4302
    FAX: 425-451-3959
    Email: InformationRequest@ccrkba.org[/FONT]​

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Additionally Frosh would send every FFL in the country a letter threatening legal action if they sold anything to an MD resident. (buying the postage with HQL fee money no doubt).

But wouldn't he have to file suit in the jurisdiction where the transaction took place?

Love to see Frosh have to argue the case in a different circuit...

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    So... Being an Arizona resident living in MD, I will be able to buy whatever I want in PA or VA soon?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The GCA already requires FFLs to honor the firearms laws of other states for the sale of firearms to residents of those states, which until now has just been for the sale of long guns to residents of those states. It's no stretch for this requirement to be extended to handguns.

Actually, the GCA banned interstate FFL sales of long guns, unless in adjacent states of the laws of both states specifically allowed it. That restriction was removed with the 1986 FOPA, allowing long guns to be purchased in any state at an FFL, provided the laws of both states are followed. It happened once, and it can happen again. Hopefully soon handguns can be bought just like long guns.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm just laughing at the mental image of a FFL in AZ bothering themselves with the hassle of 77r forms and the MSP.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I'm just laughing at the mental image of a FFL in AZ bothering themselves with the hassle of 77r forms and the MSP.

I doubt that your small local FFL is going to do many out of state sales, the bigger discounters will just have a step by step manual with the forms for the restrictive states. If this stands, within a month there will be 5 different service providers willing to handle the paperwork for the FFLs. As people now save on the shipping and transfer in their state, the large out of state dealers will offer a 'out of state sales fee' of $30 and keep that revenue in house rather than sharing it with a FFL in the state of residence.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    That's my thinking, too. Per MSP... "In Maryland, it is illegal to sell or offer for sale a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not on the Handgun Roster."

It doesn't say it's illegal for "a Maryland resident" to make such a purchase, it forbids it to occur "in Maryland." That's just the website language, though...

The standard-capacity magazine analogy comes to mind.
    SB281 language did not limit transfers to MD.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Actually, the GCA banned interstate FFL sales of long guns, unless in adjacent states of the laws of both states specifically allowed it. That restriction was removed with the 1986 FOPA

Oh, right... FOPA is what I was thinking about and threw out the wrong acronym.

Again. :sad20:

SB281 language did not limit transfers to MD.

I wasn't referring to SB281, except where I mentioned the magazine thing. There's no federal law requiring out-of-state vendors to comply with the magazine restrictions of other states, so it's not really relevant that the language in SB281 doesn't specify "in Maryland."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom