Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons

Notices

Old March 21st, 2017, 08:53 AM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have a few "fancy" knives, but the one I carry every day is a cheap Old Timer, I got from my great grandfather. Sharpened so many times, there's a hook in the blade.
Those Old Timers used a 1095 carbon steel blade that got strait razor sharp with little effort and held it pretty good. Your grandfather got some very long term use out of it. People like your grandfather and mine were kind of responsible for me coming-out of my knife nut stage. I remember watching my dad, grandpa, and uncles do what they needed to do with those Old Timers and small Case pen knives and thought finally, what do I need more than them for? Kind of like going back to ones roots. If they went huntin' they used a huntin' knife. If they went fishing, they used a fishing knife. But they always had some little penknife in a pocket that was razor sharp, and they cut a lot of stuff with them.

My dad always used his little Christy knife for most of his cutting jobs.

Now that I'm a white bearded old fart, I get it.
cb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM #22

2nd attempt
Attached Images

Old March 21st, 2017, 09:08 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlasarmory View Post
2nd attempt
Yeah, there ya go! Looks good.

You'll find it a lot more handy to be able to just pull it out and use it without it being attached to the keyring.
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:53 PM #24
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Here are my old and new "working man's knives." Note the serration "modifications" on the larger one. It's cut a lllllottttt of things over the years, including stuff it shouldn't have. Never me though. It's been taken out of everyday service because the lock doesn't hold too well anymore. I figured the smaller one as a replacement would raise less eyebrows going into schools. So far it's done just fine. I like to tell people that it is a tool, not a weapon and quote the Spyderco website with, "designed to cut things and not people," as I repeatedly jam the sheep's foot "point" into my palm.
Attached Images

No guest fee at the AGC!
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:18 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb51 View Post

My dad always used his little Christy knife for most of his cutting jobs.

Now that I'm a white bearded old fart, I get it.
I love this knife. As much as i like my case and other "old timey" knives, I still carry a modern folder. Microtech, benchmade, spyderco... I'll get there one day, just not yet.

-"For the most part, people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling." -eruby
-"We are ammosexuals , teatards, domestic terrorists..." Fox Trapper.
Donate to MDS!!
Armadillofz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:21 PM #26

My most used knife.

I used to use a mini swiss army like yours, but I've since migrated over to these these two:
- Leatherman Micra
- Gold filled, unbranded Japanese stainless steel Masonic pocket knife. --JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 09:48 AM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinDC View Post
I used to use a mini swiss army like yours, but I've since migrated over to these these two:
- Leatherman Micra
- Gold filled, unbranded Japanese stainless steel Masonic pocket knife. --JB

I tried to like the micra, really. I bought one because it was only a bit bulkier than the Victorinox classic, but offered more tools in a heavier duty package. But for me, most the time I reached for my pocket knife, it was to cut something, and the 'inside' mounted knife blade of the micra was a PITA for me. The Leatherman squirt sometimes stands in for my little Swiss Army knife and I find it a lot easier to deal with as the knife blade opens on the outside of the tool. Don't have to open the whole thing to get at my knife. And I have found the small pliers surprisingly useful. And I still have scissors. The Leatherman tools sometimes go along to if I think I'm going to need something more 'rugged'. Otherwise the classic and the few items in my wallet like my old P-38 and a Victorinox quattro 4-way screw driver get used.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:14 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb51 View Post
I tried to like the micra, really. I bought one because it was only a bit bulkier than the Victorinox classic, but offered more tools in a heavier duty package. But for me, most the time I reached for my pocket knife, it was to cut something, and the 'inside' mounted knife blade of the micra was a PITA for me. The Leatherman squirt sometimes stands in for my little Swiss Army knife and I find it a lot easier to deal with as the knife blade opens on the outside of the tool. Don't have to open the whole thing to get at my knife. And I have found the small pliers surprisingly useful. And I still have scissors. The Leatherman tools sometimes go along to if I think I'm going to need something more 'rugged'. Otherwise the classic and the few items in my wallet like my old P-38 and a Victorinox quattro 4-way screw driver get used.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing, as I didn't know about the Squirt. I actually bought this Micra in a lot off eBay for $25, refurbished them, and sold most of them off and kept this one. I'll be sure to look out for the Squirt. Looks like the best of both worlds! --JB

JBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:06 AM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinDC View Post
Sweet! Thanks for sharing, as I didn't know about the Squirt. I actually bought this Micra in a lot off eBay for $25, refurbished them, and sold most of them off and kept this one. I'll be sure to look out for the Squirt. Looks like the best of both worlds! --JB

Yeah, they are both about the same size, but the squirt has a bit more real world use because of the 'outside' opening tools. The squirt bottle opener is a bit dicy because of the small size, and it takes a couple of bites to get a bottle cap off. Minor annoyance unless I'm REALLY thirsty! The flat Phillips driver on the squirt is finer than the micra for really small phillips. I'm tempted to take a file to it and make it a tiny bit blunter for more normal size Phillps. I don't know how important tweezers rate to you, but the squirt does not have them like the micra. But…the small pliers are so close fitting, the end of them fit tight enough that you can use them for tweezers in a pinch.

Both have advantages, but in day to day use, I found the squirt a bit more versatile. The small needle nose pliers did it for me. Great for fishing and small repair work on the better halts jewelry.

But either way, these small keychain size multitools have totally taken over from carrying a dedicated knife that is the proverbial one trick pony. I don't need to fight off Chinese paratroopers, nor do I get into quick draw contests with my knife. I think they qualify for the title of penknife of the 21st century.

Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:30 PM #30

I have carried a Leatherman Sidekick for a couple of years and the 2 1/2" knife blade is used almost every day the needlenose pliers and screwdrivers are used often,back in January I lost it and bought another smaller Leatherman - inferior model- but mysteriously I found the original in the cargo area of my SUV and it is back clipped to my pocket once again.
possumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:47 PM #31

Mine is this pocket knife. Had it for a couple years. Its cheap, sharp and used mostly for cutting packages and a letter opener. And i skinned a deer with it.
Attached Images

bigdv is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons