• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I have several SKS's and an M1 carbine. They're all terrific shooters. I shoot mostly non-reloadable steel case ammo in 7.62x39 and I roll my own 30 carbine ammo.

In a SHTF situation I'd have to grab one of my SKS rifles - if for no other reason than (in true Hooligan style) I couldn't bear to leave those nice reloadable 30 carbine cases behind...

:innocent0

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I spend a lot of time in the car, so my brain comes up with stupid stuff like this all the time.

Hypothetical SHTF scenario. You are relaxing in your home when suddenly you realize that the end of the world has crept up on you and it is time to bug out to a safer location. You have your go bag ready with enough essentials to keep you going for a week or more (enough to get you where you are going), but you are loaded down and can't take too much extra weight. The hordes are coming and you have just enough time to grab your bag and one of two weapons sitting in the corner.

1) SKS with a standard 10 round box magazine and a few stripper clips and 50 rounds of 7.62x39

or

2) M1 Carbine with a standard 15 round detachable magazine (and a spare) and 50 rounds of .30 carbine

Which do you grab knowing that you don't know what you are going to face on the trail?

Bonus question... would your answer change if you had a 30 round magazine for the carbine?

I love my M1s but in a survival SHTF situation, I would probably grab the SKS. The extra power would be a better man-stopper and would also be capable of taking a deer while on the trail if needed. Neither are tack drivers and both are most effective under 150 yards, so no real advantage there.

I might reconsider this if the carbine had a 30 round mag as that would be preferable if encountering human predators... but with only 50 rounds of ammo, I'm not sure how much of a factor reloading would be. My choice would be to escape not stand and confront. So, I guess I'm going to stick with the SKS answer.

Anybody else want to play?

Why would one bring a knife to a gun fight? SKS is far FAR superior.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have neither, but the SKS makes a lot of sense in this comparison.

I have a similar debate between a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, KelTec Sub2k in 9mm, and AR-15. Even though the Sub2k is super small and light, and 9mm should be plentiful, both the 10/22 and AR-15 have advantages over it.

A lightweight 10/22 Takedown in Magpul Backpacker stock and with a suppressor as well as a lightweight AR-15 with a Leopold 3-9x might weigh just a little more combined compared to an SKS, but have a wider range of applications.

Eta: apologies. Browsing on the phone and now see that this is in the C&R subforum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    As much as I hate to say it...the SKS being a ComBloc weapon...I'd choose it due to the more effective caliber. I really wouldn't hesitate to choose either if they were the only choices but effectiveness makes the difference.

My uncle who landed in the first wave on Omaha Beach told me some years ago he dumped his M1 Carbine as soon as he could after hitting a German solider three times and didn't stop him...he said he picked up an '03 and carried that until be was seriously wounded outside of St. Lo when a mortar round landed next to him and in his words "Said hello". My uncle's thoughts about the German soldier were "I hit that sumbitch three times and I know he must still be running!"

My company first sergeant said the same thing to me. He shot VC in 'Nam with a M1 carbine and they just kept running.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    My uncle who landed in the first wave on Omaha Beach told me some years ago he dumped his M1 Carbine as soon as he could after hitting a German solider three times and didn't stop him...he said he picked up an '03 and carried that

Interesting, different strokes I guess. Old gent I knew that would let me hunt his land was taken POW at the Bulge. He dumped his Garand for a dead soldiers carbine... lighter and easier to carry. He also told me it was pretty common because the Garand was twice as heavy.

I forget his job and since he's dead I'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom