• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will put this under the “almost C&R “ category.
    2A Sales has some surplus Star BM in the shop. I have one in Pergatory.
    Some things on it.
    These are former Police or Military but they mulled out the proof marks on the slide and receiver. You will see shallow milled circles where the stamps were. There are matching numbers on the slide and receiver that I believe are like a property ID number. CAI put a billboard on the left side and even re serialized them on the right side even though the original serial number is intact just under the mag release.
    One mag
    Box with cleaning tool and manual.
    $269 + tax and MSP
    HQL required, no bore lock

Mine is dated 1978 so 10 years to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5ad9fd026ddd5776b37be93fd004b2f8.jpg

e31eedc8fe920724a20689e7f10ab8e3.jpg

529c73f93a2fde23a051c787d63e11a0.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    Looks like it's in really nice shape.

There should be a proofmark to tell you the actual date (under the left grip panel), the 78 on the trigger guard may be inspector number or date of refurb, it's not a typical mark.
    (the Star book also has a table with the dates and destinations based on the original S/N)
    The 40822 on slide and frame is indeed an issue number probably Civil Guardia.
    proof X1 = 1978

CAI probably added their own importer S/N due to potential confusion between the original S/N on left side and the issue number on the right.
    So now there's three numbers :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I will put this under the “almost C&R “ category.
    2A Sales has some surplus Star BM in the shop. I have one in Pergatory.
    Some things on it.
    These are former Police or Military but they mulled out the proof marks on the slide and receiver. You will see shallow milled circles where the stamps were. There are matching numbers on the slide and receiver that I believe are like a property ID number. CAI put a billboard on the left side and even re serialized them on the right side even though the original serial number is intact just under the mag release.
    One mag
    Box with cleaning tool and manual.
    $269 + tax and MSP
    HQL required, no bore lock

Mine is dated 1978 so 10 years to go.

5ad9fd026ddd5776b37be93fd004b2f8.jpg

e31eedc8fe920724a20689e7f10ab8e3.jpg

529c73f93a2fde23a051c787d63e11a0.jpg

Wish I had an HQL those are nice.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    This is the reality of mail order firearms purchases. You don't get to see what you're buying. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. When you lose, you just have to eat the shipping, restocking, etc. fee. Mail order collecting involves some risk. If you aren't willing to take that risk, then you shouldn't buy guns by mail order.

My Cz50 is in excellent condition.

While this is definitely true, if you make a rule to avoid Classic at all costs when dealing with used firearms, you can usually count on the listed condition being pretty close.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Looks like it's in really nice shape.

There should be a proofmark to tell you the actual date (under the left grip panel), the 78 on the trigger guard may be inspector number or date of refurb, it's not a typical mark.
    (the Star book also has a table with the dates and destinations based on the original S/N)
    The 40822 on slide and frame is indeed an issue number probably Civil Guardia.
    proof X1 = 1978

CAI probably added their own importer S/N due to potential confusion between the original S/N on left side and the issue number on the right.
    So now there's three numbers :)

Pulled out of Pergatory and shot great today. Hmm I need to see if this mag is compatible with a Star B

Here is the X1 proof mark under the grip panel dating it to 1978
    4bd6eaa9c2b00cc8ad9cf81da0932d04.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    BTW, on my visit to 2A, I saw something interesting.
    On the wall looked like a Russian Capture K98 with the stock hole plugged.
    The tag said K98 7.62 so I asked to see it.

It was a Russian Capture that went to Israel and was rebarreled in 7.62.
    I did not look at it long but My only thought that it was Russian capture was the shellac on the stock. I did not see the X on the reciever.
    There was a big 7.62 on the receiver and the Waffen stamps were peened over.
    There was a faintly stamped Star of David on it.
    There were 4 holes drilled for a scope No idea if that was before or after being in Israeli service. Who knows.
    Priced at $400 I thought it was an interesting piece of history. If you know about Israel, in the beginning they took in any and all kinds of weapons to defend the country against the surrounding potential invaders. I am not Jewish but I thought that someone who was would find it of more historical value than I would so I did not purchase it. Most any other days, It would have come home with me and been added to my Mauser Collection.

Jul 1, 2012
    STAR Model 1921 and 1922 FIRING PINS

A buddy of mine just made a batch of new firing pins for the Star Model 1921/1922.
    These are different than the Model B etc pins and as far as I know aren't available elsewhere.
    Anyway, if you have one of these early models it'd be a good idea to grab a spare or two as they are easily bent or broken.
    I've had him make other parts for me and his work is accurate and meticulous.

He also made lanyard pedestal and rings for these - which are often missing, and impossible to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253377537388

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    Heads up, there’s a couple vz24 mausers at the cabela’s At Christiana mall in Delaware, I think the tag on them was 399 and some change. Seemed to be in decent shooter shape

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I’m debating between an IHC and a regular (Springfield or Hra) service grade. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would opt for the luck of the draw for $330 less, but that's just me. I am not a big USGI collector, as most US stuff really does not do much for me, so take my thoughts for whatever they are worth. I have a correct HRA that I got in 2014 and a Winchester with a SA barrel from the last lot. I did purchase an IHC with LMR barrel, but I ended up selling it shortly after I got it. I base my opinion on two things.

1. 99% chance that you're going to get a mix-master, no matter which option you choose. Mix-master M1 Garands just don't appreciate in value and that is not going to change any time soon in light of CMP's recent announcement that they are getting 9.2 million Garands. I watched an IHC with LMR barrel sell at yesterday's Redding auction for something like $1,200.

2. If you're going to get a mix-master, I'd rather take a chance that I'm going to get an SA Garand with mostly SA parts rather than an IHC with mostly SA parts. If you get an HRA with mostly SA parts, okay - not any different than an IHC with SA parts. Every part on my IHC was SA except the barrel (LMR) and the gas cylinder/front sight (IHC). I don't know . . . it just never did anything for me, and I decided that $1,000 was a lot of money to tie up in something that I didn't really like.

I just don't see value in the extra $330, but, again, that's just me.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wait, what!? They are getting 9.2 million garands? With that many flooding the market they’ll practically have to give them away like Mosins

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Wait, what!? They are getting 9.2 million garands? With that many flooding the market they’ll practically have to give them away like Mosins

Sorry - that was a bit of hyperbole. CMP just announced that they are getting something like 85,000+ Garands from the Philippines. I'm sure many will be in rough shape, but it appears there will be no shortage of M1 Garands from the CMP for a while.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ...and from Turkey. I talked to a lady from the Ohio office about them last Friday. They have them but are still going through them. Like a month or so they will be available. I, too am looking at the $730 ones as it would be my first one and I am not really trying to collect them for collector purposes.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Wait, what!? They are getting 9.2 million garands?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Abulg1972 was loosely referring to the influx of newly imported milsurp rifles. The entire universe of M1 Garands is about 5.5 million guns.

FWIW, I ordered one of the $730 Service Grade rifles and asked for a nice shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom