• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    im looking to invest in my first gun safe. i have two young children and i want to keep them away from the guns and i also want to protect my investments from theft and fire. i havnt decided on a budget as im not sure whats realistic. id be comfortable with something around 1200 but i dont know what that will get me. any input on sizes, features, fire ratings, and brands would be appreciated.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    I recently bought a medium size safe from Zanotti Armor; it was close to $2k. It is modular ---- 6 pieces are fitted together. It can be taken apart or put together in < an hour by 2 not-so-strong people. Not fire rated, but I'm not concerned about that because my only concern was keeping them out of the wrong hands.

Remember, a used safe has zero value when you move. I used to know a guy whose business was buying & selling safes; he gave the sellers nothing, they were just glad to have him haul the safe away. THAT is why I was willing to pay for a safe that is easily moved.

Fire ratings are relative, not absolute. A 1 hr safe will protect the contents twice as long as a 30 minute safe, but may only protect the contents for 10 minutes from a specific fire.

dedan

Dec 5, 2011
    delaware
    SAFE

HI THERE,
    PURCHASE THE BIGGEST SAFE YOU CAN, THINGS JUST GROW TO FAST INSIDE YOUR SAFE. TRACTOR SUPPLY HAS SAFES AT GOOD PRICES...dedan

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I purchased a safe from safecracker about ~2 or so years back. The purchase was during a special sale safecracker was running, so I got an excellent TL-30 safe including delivery for within the budget you are considering. So, I would recommend not just looking at brand-new safes, but to also consider second-hand safes to stay within budget. You'll have to hunt around, but when you find a great deal, you will save a bundle. There was an estate sale in Aberdeen perhaps a month back where there was a very good condition Liberty 'Presidential 50' (MSRP $5,889) offered for $750. I was frantically calling A1 safes in Fallston to try and hire help to move the safe to my house, as that safe would have properly and easily protected any additions to my collection for a good long while. Unfortunately, in the end A1 safes never picked up the phone or responded to any of my messages, so I did not buy the safe as I could not transport it.

Also, just about any decent safe will have quite a good bit of weight to it, so I would recommend letting the professionals move it into place if stairs are involved. The risk of injury or damage is simply too high otherwise. Even if you can round up a bunch of friends, unless they are experienced in moving items of this weight, get the professionals anyway. Good friends don't risk squishing friends.

Best, Unbiased Buyers Guide on or off the internet

Best, Unbiased Buyers Guide on or off the internet

+1 This is probably the best concise run-down on the subject I've read.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Just this morning, purchased a low end Liberty (Revere model). There is currently a sale going on so the 30-gun model was $1149, same as the 23-gun. With another $70 off for Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck listeners (or those who know their first name), it came to just under $1500 delivered to my basement.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Sorry to hijack but in same boat. Friend offered this one for 300$
    287da30c02dd416d074ee99984ae0857.jpg

Good deal or pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I would say 'Pass' unless you only have $300, are doing a favor for your friend by buying it, and currently have your valuables unprotected. The safe can be bought brand-new for $360 (walmart/amazon), and then you have some warranty protection and are not buying second-hand electronics (electronic lock), which I avoid on general principle. Also, many would advise that a mechanical lock is more reliable than an electronic one.

If you only have or can get $300, that is its own limitation. If you can budget more, then there is advice linked to in Huckleberry's post above and discussion in this thread (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=175635&highlight=sturdy+safe) regarding better products. A quick search on retail offerings for the stack-on safe does not list the thickness of its sheet metal, which does not speak well of it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I picked up a Heritage Tradition series safe based on a review I read from an online gun magazine, which I can't seem to find anymore. These guys looked at pretty much everything from budget level stuff up to Fort Knox safes, and when they boiled it all down, they picked the Heritage Tradition series as the best bang for the buck, so that's what I specifically found when I got mine. I've never been anything but pleased with it except for one thing: it's 900 lbs empty, which means that it's a pain to move. I can move it anywhere on the level its currently on, but it took a stair climber to get it up into the house, and I had to put big Teflon pads under it to move it once it was in the house. The missus didn't like where I put it initially, so I moved it. She didn't like it there either, so I moved it to its current location.

In retrospect, I think that I would have gone with a Zanotti Armor safe. While they don't they aren't as fire resistant as mine, (1700 degrees for 90 minutes, I think - I'd have to check) it's a much better solution when it comes to moving them, and more than enough to keep your average Freddie Felon from breaking in and getting his paws on my guns and other valuables.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I would say 'Pass' unless you only have $300, are doing a favor for your friend by buying it, and currently have your valuables unprotected. The safe can be bought brand-new for $360 (walmart/amazon), and then you have some warranty protection and are not buying second-hand electronics (electronic lock), which I avoid on general principle. Also, many would advise that a mechanical lock is more reliable than an electronic one.

If you only have or can get $300, that is its own limitation. If you can budget more, then there is advice linked to in Huckleberry's post above and discussion in this thread (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=175635&highlight=sturdy+safe) regarding better products. A quick search on retail offerings for the stack-on safe does not list the thickness of its sheet metal, which does not speak well of it.

Its the mechanical dial lock version. I could spend more but the more expensive secure ones seem to be for a more permanent setup. It would be in my kitchen or living room so i cannot go very big but if this is. Ot a very good deal i will pass and go for something atleast fire rated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    I purchased a safe from safecracker about ~2 or so years back. The purchase was during a special sale safecracker was running, so I got an excellent TL-30 safe including delivery for within the budget you are considering. So, I would recommend not just looking at brand-new safes, but to also consider second-hand safes to stay within budget. You'll have to hunt around, but when you find a great deal, you will save a bundle. There was an estate sale in Aberdeen perhaps a month back where there was a very good condition Liberty 'Presidential 50' (MSRP $5,889) offered for $750. I was frantically calling A1 safes in Fallston to try and hire help to move the safe to my house, as that safe would have properly and easily protected any additions to my collection for a good long while. Unfortunately, in the end A1 safes never picked up the phone or responded to any of my messages, so I did not buy the safe as I could not transport it.

Also, just about any decent safe will have quite a good bit of weight to it, so I would recommend letting the professionals move it into place if stairs are involved. The risk of injury or damage is simply too high otherwise. Even if you can round up a bunch of friends, unless they are experienced in moving items of this weight, get the professionals anyway. Good friends don't risk squishing friends.

+1 This is probably the best concise run-down on the subject I've read.

I read this article twice! lol I also did some more digging and found some photos of safes that had been busted open there is a lot to consider in making this investment. It looks like it would be best to buy a top of the line safe new, however I cant exactly afford it. so I'll be looking for used safes in the area via craigslist and other local lock smiths.

Does any one have any experience with A-1 in fallston they are close to my home and I've though about stopping in on my way home from work.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I read this article twice! lol I also did some more digging and found some photos of safes that had been busted open there is a lot to consider in making this investment. It looks like it would be best to buy a top of the line safe new, however I cant exactly afford it. so I'll be looking for used safes in the area via craigslist and other local lock smiths.

Does any one have any experience with A-1 in fallston they are close to my home and I've though about stopping in on my way home from work.

I bought a Liberty from them, price, delivery, and install were great. Dave was easy to work with.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Liberty Colonial and Centurion on the way. I liked them. Agree on buying the biggest you can afford.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Check sears online. I was surprised to find that they sold them when I bought mine. Got mine from sears for around 350-400 for a 16 gun with a digital lock. Picked it up from the store and it was free shipping.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Just keep in mind that most "safes" you buy are rated as Residential Security Containers (RSC) and not as an actual Safe. A safe is rated as such by the UL and comes with a TL-15, TL-30, (or higher) rating and weigh a TON and cost thousands. RSCs are really just locking steel boxes. Any "fire rating" is only pieces of sheetrock fixed to the interior walls. They're really nothing special. Better than nothing? Absolutely. But nothing special.

Any thief worth their salt and with 20 minutes of labor can brute force into a RSC with a couple crow bars. If you live far from neighbors and they can use power tools without fear of alerting anyone from the noise, they'll be through the RSC wall in 90 seconds with an angle grinder.

Your best defense against firearm theft and destruction is a good insurance policy.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I recently bought a safe from a company called Safe and Signs based near York PA. They are dealers for Champion and Supreme Safes. I got a great price and the delivery charge was very reasonable. I would highly recommend giving them a call to see what they can do for you. They will not charge you any sales tax although you should check your local regulations relating to paying the sales tax on out of state purchases.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom