• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    You can always package up the used media in a plastic jar or similar sealed,nonbreakable container, and wait for your county to have a household hazardous waste collection day. I believe HOCO offers this every Saturday at one of their waste facilities.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    With guns and ammo the greatest danger is the primer residue and the two lead salts used in primers; lead styphnate and lead azide. Both of those salts are skin absorbable and inhalant dangers with primer smoke (the biggest lead danger of indoor ranges).
    More likely the cleaning media would contain mostly the combustion byproducts of the styphnate and azide, i.e. various other lead salts and lead oxide. If there actually were significant amounts of the two original compounds as dust in a tumbler, that tumbler would probably violently disassemble itself. Both are friction-sensitive energetics, which is why they're used in primers.
    And yes, many of those combustion products are also water soluble and skin-absorbable.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can always package up the used media in a plastic jar or similar sealed,nonbreakable container, and wait for your county to have a household hazardous waste collection day. I believe HOCO offers this every Saturday at one of their waste facilities.

I'm curious if anyone has done this successfully if they were honest about what it was because most of these hazardous waste days have rules about what they will take.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm curious if anyone has done this successfully if they were honest about what it was because most of these hazardous waste days have rules about what they will take.

AACO specifically says they'll take mercury-contaminated stuff, but is silent about non-metallic lead compounds. Ammo is a no-no, but that refers to live ammunition, not residue. Residue doesn't present the transportation problem that comes with moving live energetic materials. I'd guess they'd take contaminated tumbler media under the generic "household hazardous waste" category because that stuff just gets put in drums and sent to a hazardous waste landfill during the collection days.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    More likely the cleaning media would contain mostly the combustion byproducts of the styphnate and azide, i.e. various other lead salts and lead oxide. If there actually were significant amounts of the two original compounds as dust in a tumbler, that tumbler would probably violently disassemble itself. Both are friction-sensitive energetics, which is why they're used in primers.
    And yes, many of those combustion products are also water soluble and skin-absorbable.

Close enough.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Lead azide decomposes to lead and nitrogen. Not a lead salt or oxide.

https://chemiday.com/en/reaction/3-1-0-734

Lead styphnate does produce lead oxides upon decomposition.

teppou

Jan 20, 2014
    I'd be curious to know if anyone knows whether or not scrap primers have any value. If so, I'll take the bucket with the next lot of scrap brass to the recycler.

I took a gallon-sized zip-loc bag of spent primers to the local recycler, and they didn't bat an eye. They just ran a magnet through the primers to make sure there was nothing magnetic in the bag. I think I got about $18 for it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I took a gallon-sized zip-loc bag of spent primers to the local recycler, and they didn't bat an eye. They just ran a magnet through the primers to make sure there was nothing magnetic in the bag. I think I got about $18 for it.

No shit, I'll save mine moving forward

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I stand corrected on the lead azide decomposition products.

NP, I was wondering, so looked it up. And it wasn't that easy to find.

I did not realize that lead azide was lead and nitrogen, only.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County

Im just started out reloading. I’m curious as to where this recycler is located?

KenS

Roof Rack
    Aug 12, 2019
    Howard County
    Glad to see some science-based replies and advice; that helps solidify procedures to follow when I venture back to the range and in any reloading.

Thank you for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom