• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I like Danner for full, heavy work boots. My Acadias are awesome in that role. Their lightweight imported boots leave me much less impressed. My hikers of the last few years have been Keen Targhee. As with any boot they're improved by a high quality insole but the exteriors and soles have held up amazingly well.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I bought a pair of combat hikers from ebay. The ones I got were a black and leather. They are no longer current issue, and they don't look like they are surplus. The one I got cost less than $100 and were brand new. I was really happy with them but they were a little tight. I guess I am a size 11 now. These boot are made by both Danner and Bates. They are us made and leather and look like a conventional hiking boot. They are very sturdy.

If that's the mountain combat boots you are talking about, I had them. They are also made by Belleville, or at least used to be. I had both the cold and hot weather variants in coyote. I loved the looks but the width on both models was ridiculously out of spec for a "wide" marked boot. I could hardly put them on, never mind actually walk in them. It was a shame since it was a great price for a bombproof pair of boots.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    After searching high and low I decided to go back to some old friends. Back in the late 90s, early 2000s, I had a pair of official military black leather combat boots. Those things were bomb proof. Survived my teenage outdoor adventures and cleaned up nice for church. I loved those things. The company that made them all those years ago is still making them right here is the USA, but with one nice improvement. They are still the all black leather boot but now have the fantastic Panama sole that the desert and jungle boots had. Wearing them around the house, the quality, fit and comfort are exactly what I remember 20yrs ago. Time will tell if they are as well built as back then.

Attachments

• 776BE637-8A11-4F38-990B-DACF5EFA62F3.jpg
      776BE637-8A11-4F38-990B-DACF5EFA62F3.jpg
      146.4 KB · Views: 117

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City

Attachments

• vasque-wasatch-gore-tex-backpack-17527-h.jpg
      vasque-wasatch-gore-tex-backpack-17527-h.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 121

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks everyone for the input. I checked out all the websites and even though they are above my budget, I have so far narrowed it down to the Zamberlan 5030 and LLBean Cresta. Unfortunately the Zamerlan doesnt show wide sizes on their site and the LLBean is backordered until December. Keen and Vasque had a model or two that was ok but still wasnt exactly what Im looking for. Danner had one model I liked, the Danner Light II, but is $180 over budget and Im not willing to go that high yet. I actually found a Redhead pair that I like, the Wildcat. Considering the cheap price, I had good luck with some older Redhead boots from about 10 years ago. I wonder if they are still decent or of it went to crap like everything else from the Basspro/Cabelas merger. Anyway, the search continues for now.

Merrill and Timberland are both good and also have wide and extra-wide sizing. Check Amazon for more information and reviews. I’ve had LLBean boots for years and have noticed quality issues in their new ones over the past few years.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I'm a smurf and I've blown out merrell's and t'land's with alarming quickness. That's what pushed me to look at Asolo.

Asolo's are pretty good. I nearly bought a pair of fugitives on a whim to replace my Vasques this summer, but they tend to run a little narrow and I would have needed a 14, which the local outdoors store didn't have in stock. I may well snag them for next season, though, I really liked the stiffness and construction.

Attachments

• 71IDpwjc9mL._UL1500_.jpg
      71IDpwjc9mL._UL1500_.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 104

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I will weigh in as I wear hiking boots a lot and have over the past 20+ years. The sundowners used to be great boots, until they moved production to China then it went to hell in a hand basket, Vasque are pretty good boots but I have found a lot of them have soft soles and if you are walking on concrete too much will wear down to nothing in short order. Danner makes great boots as long as you get their made in the USA boots and at your price range, not likely to happen unless you catch one of their sales or find them at a bargain outlet.

the 2 brands I have been switching back and forth for the past several years with are La sportiva (hard to find a boot they make that isn't "loud" color wise though), and the Asolo's (have had several models and all have been fantastic). another brand to look at is Lowa, if you can find a pair that fit your feet they are amazing boots and have a great reputation. lastly in my opinion a great boot in all leather but very pricey for most of their models are the Zamberlins, to me they are very much like the old school sundowners in that they are leather, goretex, few seams, tough as nails and will last a long time, they are still made in Europe also.

just my 2 pennies

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Asolo Fugitive GTX. I finally bought new ones, but the old ones are still perfectly serviceable after at least a decade of service. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's probably going to be them, especially since Vasque killed the 7166s and there's no equivalent in terms of durability/ankle support in their lineup anymore.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    Check out limmer. I’ve had mine for years. Best I’ve ever worn. Bonus is hand made in USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom