Lever-action cartridge recommendation? (considering .357/.38, more details inside)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheelbrain

Aug 15, 2011
    Rockville, Maryland
    I'm planning on purchasing a lever-action rifle in a pistol caliber, to supplement my Henry Golden Boy (.22) and for ammo compatibility with a revolver. I'mcartridge looking for a cartridge with recoil similar to an M1 carbine - one that doesn't kick like a full-blown rifle cartridge, but retains a slight recoil for fun. I don't hunt, and the hunting capability of a isn't important to me.

What comes to mind is purchasing a pre-Remington Marlin 1894C with an 18" barrel - use the .38 Special for new shooters, and the .357 for more fun. I've heard it's the best fun one can have with a lever-action rifle, but haven't tried it yet. While I imagine the .38 Special would have no recoil, would the .357 deliver the recoil performance I'm looking for? Or would I be better off with .30-30 Winchester (obviously not revolver-compatible) or .44 magnum?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    The 357 will not have recoil but it will have a little bit of muzzle blast. You may be better off with a 44 if you already have a revolver in that caliber.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    30-30 will kick more than an M1 carbine, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Most .44 mag ammo will also kick a little more. .357 and .38 will kick less than an M1 carbine, and ammo for those will be less than .44 or 30-30. If you planned to shoot past 100 yds, the 30-30 would have much better ballistics than the pistol rounds.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have a 2002 Marlin in .357/.38 Special and a work buddy recently got a Henry Big Boy, model H006M, in the same caliber. I think I have put one box of full power .357 ammo through mine. The last time we shot together we used this ammo, http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...uila+.38+Spl+158grn+SJHP++50rd+Box&groupid=30 Good plinking ammo and we are saving the brass for reloading.

I wouldn't consider using full power higher cost .357 ammo unless I had to.

Bob

Mar 30, 2009
    I recently bought the 357 Marlin (Rem) and love the gun. I shoot 357 and get very good accuracy with very little recoil. I was worried about the Remington part after all the negative comments I have read on forums but I have to say I have not had any issues. In fact, the gun looks great and functions flawlessly. I took it apart for a cleaning before firing and was waiting for evidence of a "piece of crap" as some call it but didn't find it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a high dollar, custom firearm by any measure but it was never that even when made by Marlin. I don't have any problem recommending this gun to anyone. If you are looking for a pistol caliber lever gun, go for it. The 44 mag is next for me!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've got a Win 94 trapper in 357 mag. Nice blast when shooting hot 357 loads out of that short barrel. Lotso fun.

Ill second this, if you can find one the .45's are relatively easy to come by but the .357s are scarce. I have both and love em.

Pistol caliber lever guns are some of the most fun things to shoot you will ever get your hands on. Extremely handy in a 16" configuration. I have several.

Generally the .38/.357 will be the cheapest to shoot. If you can find a reasonbly priced pre rem Marlin that would be a good Winchester even better if you can find it.

For a bargain gun, the Rossi .357s really are not a bad choice, you can get a 16" stainless gun for around $450 online about $500 out the door. They are really accurate, though tend to shoot high so some sight modification may be needed, with a little smoothing they load .38s fine as long as you dont baby the lever. I am thinking about ordering one for a camp gun.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I have a winchester and a Rossi both in .357 their both great but IMHO the Rossi's action is slicker both do well feeding 38's

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Ill second this, if you can find one the .45's are relatively easy to come by but the .357s are scarce. I have both and love em.

Pistol caliber lever guns are some of the most fun things to shoot you will ever get your hands on. Extremely handy in a 16" configuration. I have several.

Generally the .38/.357 will be the cheapest to shoot. If you can find a reasonbly priced pre rem Marlin that would be a good Winchester even better if you can find it.

For a bargain gun, the Rossi .357s really are not a bad choice, you can get a 16" stainless gun for around $450 online about $500 out the door. They are really accurate, though tend to shoot high so some sight modification may be needed, with a little smoothing they load .38s fine as long as you dont baby the lever. I am thinking about ordering one for a camp gun.

I just picked one of these up from another forum member and I love it :thumbsup:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    [/COLOR]

I just picked one of these up from another forum member and I love it :thumbsup:

They do rock, I had one in 20" I sold to my father after I snagged my Winchester other than shooting about 6" high on 38s (handloads) it would group half inch with irons. Im just going to buy another one for a shooter/camp gun as I am a deadly at close to medium range with one of these than anything else. Prefer .45 in general, even reloading its pricey.

Get one, you can always sell it for nearly what you have in it and trade-up.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I couldn't have said it better. Smores, I'm amazed at how impeccable your taste is....

Are you guys kidding me. As much as I love the thought of .44-40 what more does it do than .45LC (or .357) and at what cost? Not being critical, but just wondering why? Seems like the OP wants something in the range of .30 carbine in cost and performance, .38/.357 fits the bill hands down without getting exotic.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Marlin (pre-Marlington/Remlin) 1894CB (Cowboy gun!) in either .357 magnum or .44 magnum!!!!

I owned (and sold, like a fool!) a Marlin 1894S in .44 magnum, several years ago.

I found an 1894CB in .44 magnum (actual Marlin manuf. gun!) at Green Top (just north of Richmond) and this is one FANTASTIC rifle!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have lever guns in 357 mag, 44 mag, 30-30, 35 remington and 45-70.

Out of all of them, for the wants you described I would recomend the 44 mag. It can be loaded with 44 Spl for less recoil although the mags don't recoil much.

If you hand load you can tailor the loads to your needs.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My one and only lever gun is a late 1990s Win 94 saddle ring carbine in .45 Colt. I finally picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt last year after I sold my Sheriff's Model a few years ago. The Winchester has a small red dot on the front scope mount. It's shooting a little low for my new reloads, which are 255gr lead bullets. I need to learn how to run a lever gun, as I usually end up lowering the rifle, racking the action, then mounting for the next shot.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Are you guys kidding me. As much as I love the thought of .44-40 what more does it do than .45LC (or .357) and at what cost? Not being critical, but just wondering why? Seems like the OP wants something in the range of .30 carbine in cost and performance, .38/.357 fits the bill hands down without getting exotic.

.44-40 for the authenticity. But .357/.38 for ease of finding ammunition and it's close enough. .45LC for authenticity in the handguns and close enough in rifles.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008

Because I wanna be a cowboy! And the .357 came along well after the west was won.

All joking aside, if you look at it from a cost and performance perspective, go .357. The .44-40 has that slight bottleneck, which can make it a PITA, and if you don't reload (and try to find dies/supplies!) it's stinkin' expensive....

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    I'm planning on purchasing a lever-action rifle in a pistol caliber, to supplement my Henry Golden Boy (.22) and for ammo compatibility with a revolver. I'mcartridge looking for a cartridge with recoil similar to an M1 carbine - one that doesn't kick like a full-blown rifle cartridge, but retains a slight recoil for fun. I don't hunt, and the hunting capability of a isn't important to me.

What comes to mind is purchasing a pre-Remington Marlin 1894C with an 18" barrel - use the .38 Special for new shooters, and the .357 for more fun. I've heard it's the best fun one can have with a lever-action rifle, but haven't tried it yet. While I imagine the .38 Special would have no recoil, would the .357 deliver the recoil performance I'm looking for? Or would I be better off with .30-30 Winchester (obviously not revolver-compatible) or .44 magnum?
    I have the Henry Big Boy in .44 and a Ruger Blackhawk in .44

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom