Assault Weapons Ban of 2019 Proposed by Feinstein, co-sponsored by Cardin, others

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think of it terms of what I call the Leftist Triangle...

The area loosely bounded by MD295, I270 and I70 (including Baltimore City, of course) is very roughly the blue stain on an otherwise red state.

The I-95 Axis. AKA the Axis of Evil. I'd dearly love to see a trade...Southern Maryland, Western Maryland, and the Eastern Shore to Virginia, in exchange for Northern VA going to Maryland.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If anything it will hurt the House blue dog dems in the southern states who get put between a rock and a hard place as to whether to vote the will of Herr Nancy or piss off many of their constituents. This will die in the Senate if it even makes it that far, which I doubt. Which is good, because I no longer trust Mr. "Due Process Later" Trump to outright veto an AWB instead of agreeing to sign a watered down one.

HOWEVER, 2020 could be a different story. Not looking forward to the coming era.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    What if the Democrats offer Trump everything he wants for a border wall but the catch is they get onerous gun control laws in trade?

I gotta agree that this is something that we need to watch out for. The longer this shutdown grinds on, the longer politicians are going to feel the heat. Barring an obvious and overwhelming citizen approval to build the wall, I have zero faith that the Senate will block this bill if getting the wall funded, ending the shutdown and AWB are all intertwined.

I take it there's also no sunset clause in this version, correct?

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I gotta agree that this is something that we need to watch out for. The longer this shutdown grinds on, the longer politicians are going to feel the heat. Barring an obvious and overwhelming citizen approval to build the wall, I have zero faith that the Senate will block this bill if getting the wall funded, ending the shutdown and AWB are all intertwined.

I take it there's also no sunset clause in this version, correct?

This is my worry exactly. The Dems offering the wall in exchange for the ban. Trump is only a friend on 2A if he thinks it will cost him an election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    This what I sent to Senator Ben Cardin:

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" is a translation of a Latin phrase that Thomas Jefferson used: "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." It has also been translated as, "I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."
    Jefferson used the Latin phrase in the following letter to James Madison:
    Societies exist under three forms sufficiently distinguishable.
    1. Without government, as among our Indians.
    2. Under governments wherein the will of every one has a just influence, as is the case in England in a slight degree, and in our states in a great one.
    3. Under governments of force: as is the case in all other monarchies and in most of the other republics. To have an idea of the curse of existence under these last, they must be seen.
    It is a government of wolves over sheep. It is a problem, not clear in my mind, that the 1st. condition is not the best. But I believe it to be inconsistent with any great degree of population. The second state has a great deal of good in it. The mass of mankind under that enjoys a precious degree of liberty and happiness. It has it's evils too: the principal of which is the turbulence to which it is subject. But weigh this against the oppressions of monarchy, and it becomes nothing. Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem. Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. - Jefferson to Madison, January 30, 1787

You will get a email from Cardin thanking you for supporting common sense safety for the people.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I think of it terms of what I call the Leftist Triangle...

The area loosely bounded by MD295, I270 and I70 (including Baltimore City, of course) is very roughly the blue stain on an otherwise red state.

PeeGee is a vast Blue wasteland. Every D up for reelection locally was unopposed. And Geraldine (Bowie) was selected to launch the Red Flag Bill.

Sarbanes, Cardin, and Van Hollen - I'm sure we can rely on them to help us. I'll get right on those emails.

I'll save their staff the trouble and just send my emails directly to /dev/null.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Never trust a politician...especially your political friends. You know your political opponents are out to shaft you...

EVERY.. single political friend I know... has tried to get me to work w/ them on some sensible gun laws. I ask them, sensible to who's opinion and to what purpose? Sure to "make america safe" but.. the BIGGER picture is more like an author getting published.. they want to make a name for themselves by passing a "great gun law that makes sense for everyone."

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Do you remember that NRA ad from the early '90s about a politician coming up with a new gun law to protect the public and it showed a crook laughing while he watched it on tv? I attended law enforcement day at the then new NRA headquarters and Wayne LaPierre told us that was based upon a real incident with a politician. I'm sure it's happened far more than once.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Had a coworker say the other day (in regards to surveillance without a warrant) “I’m fine giving up privacy as long as I’m safe”. Jaw dropping. There are definitely even more in this country that would give up anything for “safety”; even if they can’t name one instance when govt overreach ever kept someone safe.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    This is my worry exactly. The Dems offering the wall in exchange for the ban. Trump is only a friend on 2A if he thinks it will cost him an election.

That is not an evidence based post. Trump is certainly the best president on the issue in over 100 years. Look at the 130 judges he has nominated compared to compared to any president, including Reagan.

If he loses you will see an assault rifle ban that is neither sunsetted nor includes grandfathering.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Had a coworker say the other day (in regards to surveillance without a warrant) “I’m fine giving up privacy as long as I’m safe”. Jaw dropping. There are definitely even more in this country that would give up anything for “safety”; even if they can’t name one instance when govt overreach ever kept someone safe.

We've been collectively conditioned.

Because OUR Gov't would never abuse their power right???:sarcasm:

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    We've been collectively conditioned.

Because OUR Gov't would never abuse their power right???:sarcasm:

You almost don't even need surveillance in 2019. All you need is to look on facebook. People put it out there on their own. Oh, and it gives all of your friends and friends of friends and people are happy to do it.

I always thought of it like this.

You wouldn't take your photo album of your family for the last 15 years and put it at the entrance of a mall for strangers to look at. That would be weird.
    But....
    People seem to be just fine with putting everything they do and every pic they take onto facebook for strangers to look through.

Yeah, it's weird, but the people have been conditioned little by little so by the time you get to where we are it does not feel so weird.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

these are the same type of people that when shtf will go looking for folks like many of the people on this board to "protect and care for them" The ironic thing, is there are also the same type of folks that try to take our revenue and firearms away.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Feinstein filed an "assualt weapon" ban bill that is not limited to rifles.

https://www.lsgr.live/post/assault-w...iled-in-senate

some of the criteria:

barrel shrouds
    pistol grips
    threaded barrel
    detachable magazine
    more than 10 rounds in a fixed magazine

Existing legally owned are grandfathered in, but will require background checks for all transfers including family including gifting. No mention of inheritance.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    No politician has the right to ban my self defense. When do politicians get charges filed against them for breach of constitution? Is there any rule that they have to follow the constitution? How/why would any LEO arrest and charge anyone who had a weapon that a politician illegally banned?

I say no to illegal banning of rights.

"Existing legally owned are grandfathered in, but will require background checks for all transfers including family including gifting. No mention of inheritance."
    ^^^^ that looks like a ban to me.

On another note, I don't trust gov to run background checks as that simply turns into a who has got what list for future use. I know I don't have to remind anyone on this forum, but every time any gov wanted to take peoples weapons bad things happened after.

For what reason would I personally want to take the weapon of someone who is causing me no harm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom