• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Here's one of the newest members of the family. I purchased the rifle at the beginning of the year and have been searching for various stuff to "dress" it up since then. Well a couple of weeks ago I was able to secure a bayonet for the little carbine. These can be a little tricky to find and pricey when you do find them.
    The reason appears to be (I'm not an Italian firearms collector) the folding bayonets weren't very strong and broke - A LOT. The Italians took many back and made them into non-folding bayonets, thus leaving fewer folders. Again, I'm not an Italian firearms guy, so I could have some of the details a little skewed-but I think I'm in the ballpark with the information.

I picked this particular carbine for two main reasons. First, it was one of the 94,500 Carcano carbines that were shipped to Finland in the Spring of 1940. Secondly, it's all matching - which means the receiver and stock only for these rifles. The Finned Carcano carbines (called Terni carbines by the Finns) aren't too hard to run across, but many are not matching. This carbine also has a soldiers initials carved into it - a Finnish trait it seems. This just helped seal the deal for me.

While the Finns didn't favor these little rifles with their fixed sights and non-standard ammo (dis-liked is a better term), they were still issued to many non-frontline troops.

Here are a few pics of the rifle with the sling and bayonet I found. You'll notice in the pictures exactly why the bayonet is an extremely hard one to find ;)

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• DSC02028.jpg
      DSC02028.jpg
      124.8 KB · Views: 208
    • DSC02039.jpg
      DSC02039.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 205
    • DSC02032.jpg
      DSC02032.jpg
      101.9 KB · Views: 210
    • DSC02905.jpg
      DSC02905.jpg
      111.2 KB · Views: 311
    • DSC02909.jpg
      DSC02909.jpg
      72.4 KB · Views: 210
    • DSC02908.jpg
      DSC02908.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 296

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    That's amazing. The folding bayonet is a rarity. I've only seen 4 of them, and I dig the wop stuff.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks, guys! I've seen a decent amount of folding bayonets for sale over the past year and change, but they always go for at least $125 and all the way up to $400.

What you will find is it's almost impossible to locate a folding bayonet with a Finnish Army property stamp (the boxed [SA]). You will look long and hard to find one of those ;)

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    What's even more rare is finding ammo especially if the rifle is in 7.35.

Yeah. I got a box.... You can fire-form brass for it.

I noticed the SA on the bayonet, hence the comment. That's what really makes it special. Very nice.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations on an excellent find. Didn't see this one coming though I should have known better! Esp. nice bayonet and scabbard. Your's is definitely a keeper. Funny, the Italian collectors desperately search for an example without the Finn marks and we will walk on broken glass to get one. Kinda like the Japanese T30s in Finn service.
    Got mine from of all places a tool auction in upstate NY. It came just as you see it with the SA marked bayonet w.o. the scabbard. Not as nice as your but then again, mine's got all the farm-boy "enhancements" like the hand checkered bayonet grips and the initials carved into the stock. :rolleyes:
    Ran across a lot of 4 boxes of Finn 7.35 ammo at one of the recent Redding auctions but I got out bid by someone who was willing to pay serious coin for them (I dropped out at $90). Later I did find one box for $10 at a Timonium funshow. Neat how you can see where the Finns placed their label over the original Italian one. Ammo dates to '33.
    Now the race continues to find a nice Finn M96 Swede Mauser (and a seller who isn't asking a delusional price for it)!
    BTW, your photo skills have sharpen quite a bit. Good job!

Attachments

• IMGP6125.JPG
      IMGP6125.JPG
      23.4 KB · Views: 189
    • IMGP6126.JPG
      IMGP6126.JPG
      45.9 KB · Views: 185
    • IMGP6127.JPG
      IMGP6127.JPG
      92.9 KB · Views: 253
    • IMGP6123.JPG
      IMGP6123.JPG
      43.3 KB · Views: 186
    • IMGP6124.JPG
      IMGP6124.JPG
      51.2 KB · Views: 184
    • IMGP6128.JPG
      IMGP6128.JPG
      66.4 KB · Views: 182
    • IMGP6129.JPG
      IMGP6129.JPG
      63.3 KB · Views: 185

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Oh, BTW, I'm working on something special just for you! Ties in with the M/28-30 which arrived yesterday. Should be ready this evening. Look for my post...

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Yeah. I got a box.... You can fire-form brass for it.

I noticed the SA on the bayonet, hence the comment. That's what really makes it special. Very nice.

OK. Thanks - it is a pretty special bayonet. I didn't understand at the time you were addressing the Finn property stamp aspect - my bad :thumbsup:

Congratulations on an excellent find. Didn't see this one coming though I should have known better! Esp. nice bayonet and scabbard. Your's is definitely a keeper. Funny, the Italian collectors desperately search for an example without the Finn marks and we will walk on broken glass to get one. Kinda like the Japanese T30s in Finn service.
    Got mine from of all places a tool auction in upstate NY. It came just as you see it with the SA marked bayonet w.o. the scabbard. Not as nice as your but then again, mine's got all the farm-boy "enhancements" like the hand checkered bayonet grips and the initials carved into the stock. :rolleyes:
    Ran across a lot of 4 boxes of Finn 7.35 ammo at one of the recent Redding auctions but I got out bid by someone who was willing to pay serious coin for them (I dropped out at $90). Later I did find one box for $10 at a Timonium funshow. Neat how you can see where the Finns placed their label over the original Italian one. Ammo dates to '33.
    Now the race continues to find a nice Finn M96 Swede Mauser (and a seller who isn't asking a delusional price for it)!
    BTW, your photo skills have sharpen quite a bit. Good job!

Another great "set" of stuff from your collection, mawkie. Good show!!
    Thanks for the photo skill complement. I'm still just taking pics and hoping the y turn out OK. I have just the carpet and a harsh work light overhead. Will have to work on a photo area at some point.

Oh, BTW, I'm working on something special just for you! Ties in with the M/28-30 which arrived yesterday. Should be ready this evening. Look for my post...

I think I just saw the thread. Thanks for the walk-through!!
    The stock looks great!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You know, I'm thinking of dumping the red muslin backdrop for the super-magical grey blanket. Lord knows they do wonders for selling stuff online!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom