• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    On snipers hide they sell a reducer that eliminates this problem. I also have mine on a slab of tile with plastic feet and I have insulators on my wires as well and make sure my vents are closed so no air hits them

I've had mine for at least 20 years but in the past few months it's been throwing over. I bought the brass bushing for powder dropper on fleabay a few months ago and bingo no more over throws. It's running great again. Well wroth the few bucks it cost.

I'll start with this as opposed to the McD's straw. I have one on the way as well. Thanks for the tip!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have posted about this before.

The problem is, you need to break up the small clumps. To do so, you need grooves that run the length of the tube, not a spiral.

I took a pen barrel and sanded it until it was a snug fit in the Chargemaster tube. Then used a hobby coping saw to cut longitudinal grooves on the inside of the tube. 6 or 8 will do. Try to space them evening.

After doing this, I get maybe one over per 50 plus charges with Varget or H4895. Prior to this mod, I got about 1 per 5 charges.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA

Attachments

• IMG_7442.JPG
      IMG_7442.JPG
      121.7 KB · Views: 129
    • IMG_8530.JPG
      IMG_8530.JPG
      79.3 KB · Views: 121
    • IMG_5003.JPG
      IMG_5003.JPG
      69.4 KB · Views: 120

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I saw those when they were introduced.

They don't have anything to break up the small clumps that cause the overshoots.

I carefully watched mine operate, and every time I got an over weight charge, a clump of several granules of powder fell as one.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I have a Lyman that came with a little screw-in insert just for this. It's most useful on extruded stick powders like most of the IMR line. When I mislocated it in the drawer, Lyman sent me one free.
    The insert makes the difference of throwing 3 out of 5 IMR 4xxx charges over to seldom getting a .1 grain off. I think one for the RCBS would do something similar.
    With flake and ball powders it works better without the restrictor. With longer sticks, I can't live without it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Clumps???

2, 3, 4 or so granules of powder that are sticking together.

When the tube rotates to drop a tiny bit, the whole clump falls, and you are 0.1 - 0.2 grains over.

What I found was, using longitudinal grooves, those small lumps got broken up, so the unit could dispense a single granule of powder.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Just to be clear, you do not have real "clumps" of powder granules stuck together, but just that several granules fall at the same time?
    Do you have an image of your longitudinal grooved tube you could share?
    Is it possible that the reduced diameter of the tube may be responsible for the increased precision, rather than the longitudinal grooves?
    Do you use this tube with any other Chargemaster modification?

My issue with the Chargemaster is not that it overthrows too often, as this was minimized with a piece of tape with a smaller hole placed over the hole on the feed tube. The issue I have is that charges that read as correctly dispensed can vary widely. "Widely" being + or - 6 granules of powder within 10 throws. (Sometimes even more.) This results in charges that have a weight differences greater than 0.1 grain.

I have just received the insert reducer mentioned in this thread ($17.99 w/ shipping on eBay) and will be using it over the next few weeks to determine if precision tightens up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just to be clear, you do not have real "clumps" of powder granules stuck together, but just that several granules fall at the same time?
    Do you have an image of your longitudinal grooved tube you could share?
    Is it possible that the reduced diameter of the tube may be responsible for the increased precision, rather than the longitudinal grooves?
    Do you use this tube with any other Chargemaster modification?

My issue with the Chargemaster is not that it overthrows too often, as this was minimized with a piece of tape with a smaller hole placed over the hole on the feed tube. The issue I have is that charges that read as correctly dispensed can vary widely. "Widely" being + or - 6 granules of powder within 10 throws. (Sometimes even more.) This results in charges that have a weight differences greater than 0.1 grain.

I have just received the insert reducer mentioned in this thread ($17.99 w/ shipping on eBay) and will be using it over the next few weeks to determine if precision tightens up.

They are several granules that are stuck together. Not stuck hard, but they stay together.

I think I posted a pic before, but I am out of town right now, so will try to remember when I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom