• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    I'm looking for a good magazine loader. Some loaders are specific to the gun/magazine, some are specific to the caliber, while others are general purpose. Following are what I've considered.

1. Loader from gun manufacturer, such as Glock. These are in the most basic form, but they do help.

2. Maglula, babylula. Manual, round by round. Aside from need to use the model for the size of your magazine, it's universal in terms of make and caliber.

3. ETS CAM Pistol Magazine Loader, upto 10 rounds at a time. Fits most 9mm and .40 mags.

4. ETS CAM Rifle Magazine Loader. Upto 10 rounds. Fits 556, 7.62, 9mm.

5. Lightnin' Grip Loader, www.mcfaden.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=LIGHTNIN-GRIP. Needs specific magazine adapter, but very efficient.

6. Cammenga Easyloader, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7uyreMESqg. Specific model is needed for each gun/magazine.

7. .22 loaders

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The LULAs do what I need them to do, and I highly recommend them. I've used the Uzi/Colt MagLULA, the pistol UpLULA, and the strip loader StripLULA. They are definitely a step up from the simplistic per-gun loaders I've used.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My thumbs give a thumbs-up to the various Lulas. I admit I've not had experience with the others, but they're well-made tools that do the job well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have several LULAs. I'd rather load them with these versus the superfast loaders as some of my ammunition is long for caliber and I don't want cartridge noses rubbing inside the magazines.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    +1 for the Lulas

I have one for 22's, one for 9mm-45, one for ak's (7.62x39), and one for the ar's (223/556). Can't imagine loading several 100 rounds without them

Only limitation on speed is how many rounds I can hold in my hand and how quickly I can pick them up and get em facing the right direction.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I also have several LULAs and love them. Relatively inexpensive, mine have been absolutely reliable, and they work very quickly. I have had a couple other mag loaders (stripper clip pushers, loaders that come with guns, etc.) and the LULAs are the only things I use now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The McFaden loaders are only for .22 although they are the best there is for that. One, the Ultimate Cliploader, is only for Ruger and Browning.22 pistol mags while the other, the Ultimate Griploader, has different adapters for different types and brands of .22 magazines, both pistol and rifle.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I've been happy with the LULAs. When buying a third upLULA for pistol a year or so back at a gun show, I wound up with a counterfeit that lasted all of three magazines before the metal 'finger' that depresses the rounds bent and became useless. Turns out these counterfeits are all over the place. Learn from my mistake - don't grab a slightly less expensive one at a gun show... (The packaging was nearly identical, and you have to look very, very closely to tell the difference between the real and the fake.)

That ETS CAM loader looks interesting; have not seen it before. May give it a try... Still using stripper clips for the ARs; simple and reliable...

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Bought LULA's for my guns, they are consistent. Use for loading and the rare unloading of the mags. My M&P 45 mags are really tight for the 10th round and the LULA handles it very nicely.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    I've been happy with the LULAs. When buying a third upLULA for pistol a year or so back at a gun show, I wound up with a counterfeit that lasted all of three magazines before the metal 'finger' that depresses the rounds bent and became useless. Turns out these counterfeits are all over the place. Learn from my mistake - don't grab a slightly less expensive one at a gun show... (The packaging was nearly identical, and you have to look very, very closely to tell the difference between the real and the fake.)

That ETS CAM loader looks interesting; have not seen it before. May give it a try... Still using stripper clips for the ARs; simple and reliable...

Thanks for the info.
    I am very interested in the ETS loaders, especially the "rifle" version. In theory, it should load any caliber that can fit in either of the two "holding openings". In one YouTube video, they actually showed loading 9mm magazine.
    [YT]rQo2H6WU7v0[/YT]
    I wonder if anybody here have tried it.

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Thanks for the info.
    I am very interested in the ETS loaders, especially the "rifle" version. In theory, it should load any caliber that can fit in either of the two "holding openings". In one YouTube video, they actually showed loading 9mm magazine.
    [YT]rQo2H6WU7v0[/YT]
    I wonder if anybody here have tried it.

Fixed your embed

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    For 5.56/.223 loading of AR mags, there is only one device I rely on: the Beta C-Mag Loader.

It’s effective, less expensive, and does not require a tabletop setup the way so many loaders do—making it excellent for use in the field. Working from a dump pouch of ammo you can load up a mag fast—even in total darkness just by feel.

It works with cold hands or shaky hands, and it does not require fine motor skills or precise staging the way the loader in the YouTube video above does.

The first pic is the C-Mag Loader with the plunger dropped. The second pic is the C-Mag Loader mounted and with the plunger elevated for loading.

Drop 5 rounds in and hit the plunger, repeat. With the plunger dropped down it fits in your back pocket and only costs about $20. The model shown below is the 5-round unit but they also make a 10-round model.

Why pay for an expensive contraption that can bend or break, needs a table top, and needs precise staging that requires light for you to see what you are doing?

Case closed.

Attachments

• F94CAC1C-CEE0-4C7F-8F54-2616B7A2C42E.jpg
      F94CAC1C-CEE0-4C7F-8F54-2616B7A2C42E.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 194
    • 87723158-8C76-4427-985E-B08EF1454ED4.jpg
      87723158-8C76-4427-985E-B08EF1454ED4.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 182

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Is it really that hard to load ar-15 mags? I just push the bullet down in. Way easier than any of my pistol magazines.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Is it really that hard to load ar-15 mags? I just push the bullet down in. Way easier than any of my pistol magazines.

There’s no comparison to using the C-Loader to load up 4-5 mags quickly vs. the slower load-by-hand regimen that leaves your thumb beat up.

Leaves you with more Range time too if the clock is ticking because the range is crowded.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The uplula is the best for loading 1 at a time, works on just about everything, and can be relatively quick once you get a rhythm down, you have plenty of leverage to squeeze rounds into tight mags. The included loaders with GLOCK or other pistol brands suck, you can barely get the round past the feed lips and I always get rounds popping out, can load faster without a device. The ETS pistol loader is extremely fast and effective when it works, grabbing rounds directly from a box or tray is really awesome, I use one for my 32rd GLOCK mags for my PCC, and it can stuff the mags full in a couple seconds. Problem is the "ramp" that pushes rounds to the rear once they are past the lips puts you at a mechanical disadvantage, so it will bind easily. They suggest oil, but can be a bad idea around ammo, so I used a little chapstick on the ramp when it was new, and when it starts to bind up, and it does help.

For rifle ammo, the maglula, like the uplula works well 1 at a time, plenty of leverage, easy to use, but a bit slow, not much faster than pushing rounds by hand. The striplula is awesome, provided you load onto stripper clips, and use it for AR mags only, no benefit loading single rounds into it, doesn't work with anything else. This is where the ETS rifle loader is awesome. It works with just about any full doublestack mag in 9mm, 5.56, 7.62/5.45x39, or 308, takes a little finiesse to line the loader up, but then it works wonderfully. It's a bit of a pain to drop single rounds into the slot that holds onto the extractor groove, but put the rounds base-up in a tray or reloading box, and it snatches up rows of ammo, and slams it into the mag in a couple seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom