• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    Who makes the .338 semi? I've looked into it and bookmarked a couple manufacturers. Think they are ridiculously expensive, even compared to a RPR in 338, and I know for sure they are not something I can build with my AR-10 lowers.

I've looked at an AR in .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua. Not sure I would really want either of them any time soon , but they would be cool to own.

Mine is a DRD Tactical Kavaari from Dallas Ga. The Ruger RPR in 338 is ridiculously cheap compared to similar 338 set ups. The AR style magnum calibers are WAY bigger that an AR-10 size receiver set. Here is the difference in size between a 556 a 308 and a 338 BCG.

Attachments

• 20170217_223640.jpg
      20170217_223640.jpg
      134.2 KB · Views: 318
    • 20170217_203013.jpg
      20170217_203013.jpg
      136.3 KB · Views: 293

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am laughing a couple times over from that post.

My entire debate is .338 Lapua or 6.5. I already have a Ruger 77MKII in .300 Win Mag, so might as well go with something else. No need to compliment one bolt gun with another in the same cartridge.

My issue is finding the time to shoot anything, or even to go hunting. Was going to go goose hunting the other day, but it is tough to go without my son and he has been trying to get caught up in math since he missed a couple days going to Disney World. This father stuff and a conscience can get in the way of things sometimes. He has been bugging the heck out of me to go hunting, but my wife would kill me if I took him hunting and he got a B in math.

Which cartridge to pick might come down to a dice roll. Can always go with 6.5 in an AR, not so much .338 Lapua. My brother wants a 6.5 Creedmoor gun and we were texting back and forth the other night about it. Sent him a YouTube video of the RPR and now he is talking about doing a bulk buy from South Carroll. lol

Whichever cartridge I get it in, I would be reloading for it, so a little cheaper than $2 a round for Lapua. 6.5 would be even cheaper.

If I get the .338, no doubt you will be able to shoot it, and more than once. lol I would just need to find time to get to the range with you.

IWLA I can take you twice a year as a guest since you aren’t family. That said, I am sure I could bend the rules and take you thrice in a year.

Now I am laughing that we’d both actually have that much free time :lol2::o

Both boys have been bugging me about taking them hunting, but the wife didn’t want me taking them out during winter break and “associating Christmas and hunting”. So I couldn’t get them out during deer season this year. I am hoping I can find a Saturday in February to at least take them out squirrel hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine is a DRD Tactical Kavaari from Dallas Ga. The Ruger RPR in 338 is ridiculously cheap compared to similar 338 set ups. The AR style magnum calibers are WAY bigger that an AR-10 size receiver set. Here is the difference in size between a 556 a 308 and a 338 BCG.

Damn!

I wish someone would take an action that can run .30-06 size cartridges (or slightly longer), and make it mainstream.

I doubt there’d ever be the demand for mainstream and many people making it. Heck, AR-10/SR-25 seems 10x more mainstream now than it was 10 years ago and I doubt it has even 5% of the market AR-15s do.

Still, if I could get a couple of receiver sets in such an animal and build me some 06 based rifles. A .30-06, a .270, a .25-06, a .338-06.

Le sigh.

I guess I should try just being happy if I am able to build one of the AR-10 receivers I already own in to a fully operational Death Star. Ahem. Cough. AR-10 I mean.

Sorry, had a Tarkin moment.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    They have them now too, 22Mag and 17HMR. Just posted on Ruger’s website last week. Enjoy.....

https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

Wonderful, now I need another money tree.

Think I am going to stay with a Volquartsen 10/22 in 17 and 22 WMR instead. A lot more costly, but a semi-auto. Already have a Ruger 10/22 in .22lr that I really like. Also, if I am going to really need some long range precision, I'd use my Ruger 77MKIITGT in .220 Swift instead of a rimfire.

Thinking RPR in .338LM, 6.5CM, and 308 Win, with a bolt gun in .25-06 and then I am calling it quits on bolt guns. Man, just looked at Ruger's website and finding something in .25-06 is impossible. Is .25-06 a dying cartridge.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sent a check out for a RPR in .338LM. Now, I started a thread in the Optics section about the scope I am thinking about using. Going to go with a Burris XTR II with a front focal plain, but I am debating between 8-40x or 5-25x. Put my wife on notice earlier today that the scope would be around $1,000. My other Ruger rifles came with scope mounts. Does the RPR?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Sent a check out for a RPR in .338LM. Now, I started a thread in the Optics section about the scope I am thinking about using. Going to go with a Burris XTR II with a front focal plain, but I am debating between 8-40x or 5-25x. Put my wife on notice earlier today that the scope would be around $1,000. My other Ruger rifles came with scope mounts. Does the RPR?
    30 MOA Picatinny rail. GTG.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    What are you guys using for rings? Think I am going to go with a Burris XTR II long range scope with a 34mm tube. Trying to find 34mm Burris rings is a PITA it seems.

Also, what height rings for a 50mm objective? 1" or 1.5" high? Might have to break out some geometry later tonight.
    I put a 30 mm tube Nightforce 56 mm objective end on mine, needed min 1.45” high. Read a bit about it, and decided to go with Badger Ordnance Ultra High Max 50 steel rings (6-screws per). They’re rated specifically for the 50 BMG, and boy are they heavy. All other rings I found for that height by higher-end manufacturers were aluminum, and I’ve had two bad experiences with aluminum rings in last 5 years, going steel from now on. These rings were a PITA to find, were out of stock everywhere (oh and F Optics Planet very much thank you). Found them at Mile High Shooting, in fact I really liked their whole website. Attached are 2 pics showing the clearance for your reference. Top one is a 338LM round sitting on the rail, just able to fit under scope cap a little ways. I don’t think with the 56mm objective bell I could go less than 1.45”, just a touch under .25” clear. Your 50mm bell should work with less height, but I wouldn’t go less than “High”.

For the record though, I also have a few 30mm Burris 6-screw tactical rings (“High”) on rifles and love them too. I can’t remember the model #, but my RPR .308 w/Vortex 6-24x50 PST Gen I loves them so far, 18 months or so and going strong (tbh I believe they are in fact aluminum so don’t tell my previously indignant self...:innocent0).

Attachments

• 6ED998EF-17D8-4492-B156-903E2D6EED2E.jpg
      6ED998EF-17D8-4492-B156-903E2D6EED2E.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 165
    • 2A8FCA5F-090B-4BF1-8BC1-DBD4FC85B348.jpg
      2A8FCA5F-090B-4BF1-8BC1-DBD4FC85B348.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I put a 30 mm tube Nightforce 56 mm objective end on mine, needed min 1.45” high. Read a bit about it, and decided to go with Badger Ordnance Ultra High Max 50 steel rings (6-screws per). They’re rated specifically for the 50 BMG, and boy are they heavy. All other rings I found for that height by higher-end manufacturers were aluminum, and I’ve had two bad experiences with aluminum rings in last 5 years, going steel from now on. These rings were a PITA to find, were out of stock everywhere (oh and F Optics Planet very much thank you). Found them at Mile High Shooting, in fact I really liked their whole website. Attached are 2 pics showing the clearance for your reference. Top one is a 338LM round sitting on the rail, just able to fit under scope cap a little ways. I don’t think with the 56mm objective bell I could go less than 1.45”, just a touch under .25” clear. Your 50mm bell should work with less height, but I wouldn’t go less than “High”.

For the record though, I also have a few 30mm Burris 6-screw tactical rings (“High”) on rifles and love them too. I can’t remember the model #, but my RPR .308 w/Vortex 6-24x50 PST Gen I loves them so far, 18 months or so and going strong (tbh I believe they are in fact aluminum so don’t tell my previously indignant self...:innocent0).

Thanks for all the info and the pics. This is why I really like this board. So much knowledge and so many people willing to help.

The 34mm Burris Xtreme Tactical rings are steel and they only come in medium (1") and high (1.5"). So, high it is going to be. Now, time to shop around for the best price on the rings and scope so I can have that all squared away when the rifle arrives. All the other sizes of Burris Xtreme Tactical rings are aluminum.

Oh yeah, guess I need to look into a bipod too. Any recommendations there?

With all that, I can at least shoot factory ammo out of the gun when I finally get some time to head to the range. After that, the reloading starts.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Thanks for all the info and the pics. This is why I really like this board. So much knowledge and so many people willing to help.

The 34mm Burris Xtreme Tactical rings are steel and they only come in medium (1") and high (1.5"). So, high it is going to be. Now, time to shop around for the best price on the rings and scope so I can have that all squared away when the rifle arrives. All the other sizes of Burris Xtreme Tactical rings are aluminum.

Oh yeah, guess I need to look into a bipod too. Any recommendations there?

With all that, I can at least shoot factory ammo out of the gun when I finally get some time to head to the range. After that, the reloading starts.
    I don’t know enough about bipods to recommend one. I still haven’t picked one for mine either. I’m kicking around getting an Atlas, they seem to be the choice of most of the better shooters on the better rifles. I have several Harris, and Caldwell (Harris clones), and even a Blackhawk (also Harris Clone). I like all of them just fine, but admittedly my usage on all have been from a club bench firing line or flat grass field. Haven’t really put their features (or possible lack thereof) to the test.

I will say I’ve come to prefer pic rail mount / quick release, I’ve found that they pack up in my cases better when removed. My 2 unused bipods (1 Harris & 1 Blackhawk) are both front sling post style mounts, and I’m trying to go away from that style, I think they tend to work loose much easier and don’t seem to snug-up as tight as I’d like on some of the ones I currently use. The 338 is so darn heavy, I’ve decided to definitely go pic rail. Gonna order my Atlas today or tomorrow, I think.

Like I said I am far from an expert on this topic, but this is just my thinking on what I have experienced so far. Hope it helps you some.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don’t know enough about bipods to recommend one. I still haven’t picked one for mine either. I’m kicking around getting an Atlas, they seem to be the choice of most of the better shooters on the better rifles. I have several Harris, and Caldwell (Harris clones), and even a Blackhawk (also Harris Clone). I like all of them just fine, but admittedly my usage on all have been from a club bench firing line or flat grass field. Haven’t really put their features (or possible lack thereof) to the test.

I will say I’ve come to prefer pic rail mount / quick release, I’ve found that they pack up in my cases better when removed. My 2 unused bipods (1 Harris & 1 Blackhawk) are both front sling post style mounts, and I’m trying to go away from that style, I think they tend to work loose much easier and don’t seem to snug-up as tight as I’d like on some of the ones I currently use. The 338 is so darn heavy, I’ve decided to definitely go pic rail. Gonna order my Atlas today or tomorrow, I think.

Like I said I am far from an expert on this topic, but this is just my thinking on what I have experienced so far. Hope it helps you some.

Thanks again.

Only thing I have ever used is the Harris HPRMS bipod on my bolt action rifles. Think I own 4 of them. I knew there was something better out there, but much more expensive. Atlas is it. Just finished looking at them and think I am going to go with the BT10-LW17. Not cheap, but I am sure I will have it for the rest of my life.

Scope, rings, and bipod will cost more than the rifle. lol Then again, think I have shot more $$$$$$ out of the barrel of most of my guns than the guns cost. Good thing my wife loves me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe once it shows and you have it dialed in we should take a road trip to Delmarva sporting clays. Can do it all there. Pistol range, sporting clays and a 50/100/200/300yd range (steel at 200/300) and a 500yd range. Not much of a stretch for .338LM, but a lot better than most of the 100 and maybe 200yd ranges around here.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Maybe once it shows and you have it dialed in we should take a road trip to Delmarva sporting clays. Can do it all there. Pistol range, sporting clays and a 50/100/200/300yd range (steel at 200/300) and a 500yd range. Not much of a stretch for .338LM, but a lot better than most of the 100 and maybe 200yd ranges around here.

That sounds like a heck of a good idea. Maybe we can do it over the summer and bring some.of the kids. My brothers and dad would be interested too. Maybe pack some sodas, snacks, lunch, etc. and make it one heck of a.fun day with sporting clays and paper punching on the rifle range. Not too interested in shooting handguns, but I'd bring them just in case.

Texted with one of my brothers the other day and he told.me that he has not been shooting since the last time we all went. Told me he has not shot his rifles or handguns for 10 years now. He was supposed to go and shoot them at a buddy's farm the other day, but his girlfriend thought getting her hair done was more important and he had to watch the kids. lol Pretty sure he would love to go shooting.

Let's see what we can do in June or July. Start putting a bug in your wife's ear

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom